[SOLVED] [1.10.2] Sending a packet from server to client to open a GUI

baegmon

I am creating my custom GUI for a quiz mod and have run into some trouble.

When I right click my block to open up the quiz GUI, it opens nicely.

However when I try to open it using a command, it does not work.

After some googling, I have found that it is required to send a packet from the server to the client to inform it to open the GUI.

As such, I have implemented a SimpleNetworkWrapper as found in this tutorial.

I initialize my network wrapper within the FMLPreInitializationEvent with:

network = NetworkRegistry.INSTANCE.newSimpleChannel("GUIChannel");
network.registerMessage(MyMessage.Handler.class, MyMessage.class, 0, Side.SERVER);

Then from my command, I send the packet:

@Override
public void execute(MinecraftServer server, ICommandSender sender, String[] args) throws CommandException {
Main.network.sendTo(new MyMessage("ASDF"), (EntityPlayerMP) sender);

My Handler class attempts to open the gui:

public static class Handler implements IMessageHandler<MyMessage, IMessage> {

@Override
        public IMessage onMessage(MyMessage message, MessageContext ctx) {

EntityPlayer player = ctx.getServerHandler().playerEntity;

player.openGui(Main.INSTANCE, GUIHandler.TUTGUID, player.getEntityWorld(), player.getPosition().getX(),
                    player.getPosition().getY(), player.getPosition().getZ());

return null; 
        }

}

This does not seem to open the GUI and I'm not quite sure what I'm doing wrong.

How do I modify this to make it functional via a command? Thanks.

Wherever you found out that a packet is needed to open a GUI that source is wrong. As long as you have a

Container

with your GUI you should in fact only call

openGui

on the server, FML will handle the networking for you.

If you do not have a container

IGuiHandler

(and thereby

openGui

) is the wrong tool. In that case you want a custom packet indeed and then just open the GUI directly (using

Minecraft::displayGuiScreen

) on the client.

Oh, I must've been looking up the wrong examples.

Calling Minecraft::displayGuiScreen has opened it up.

Thanks for your help.

Sorry for bumping the thread, I thought it was working but it was only working in single player mode.

Wherever you found out that a packet is needed to open a GUI that source is wrong. As long as you have a

Container

with your GUI you should in fact only call

openGui

on the server, FML will handle the networking for you.

If you do not have a container

IGuiHandler

(and thereby

openGui

) is the wrong tool. In that case you want a custom packet indeed and then just open the GUI directly (using

Minecraft::displayGuiScreen

) on the client.

It is a container-less GUI so I'm trying to get it working by sending a custom packet from the server to the client and calling "Minecraft::displayGuiScreen" but it seems to crash the server during startup phase.

I've made the following changes:

In my message handler:

public static class Handler implements IMessageHandler<OpenGUI, IMessage> {

@Override
        public IMessage onMessage(OpenGUI message, MessageContext ctx) {

/*
            EntityPlayerMP player = ctx.getServerHandler().playerEntity;
            World world = player.worldObj;
            if(!world.isRemote){
                Minecraft.getMinecraft().displayGuiScreen(new TutorialGUI());
            }
            */
            System.out.println("MESSAGE");

return null;
        }
    }

The command to open the GUI on the client:

@Override
    public void execute(MinecraftServer server, ICommandSender sender, String[] args) throws CommandException {
        if(args.length > 0){
            throw new WrongUsageException(getCommandUsage(sender));
        } else {

World world = sender.getEntityWorld();

if(world.isRemote){
                EntityPlayerMP player = (EntityPlayerMP) sender;
                Main.network.sendTo(new OpenGUI(), player);

}

}
    }

Printing a message is delivered to the client but as soon as I try to call "Minecraft::displayGuiScreen", it crashes. Is there something that I'm doing wrong?

Also, I noticed a previous post http://www.minecraftforge.net/forum/index.php?topic=25821.msg131607#msg131607 where it says "You need to redirect any code that contains client references through your client proxy."

How do I go about doing that?

• 1 year later...

HI i'm from future (1.12.2)

Now we can walk around client-only method problem by passing empty IMessageHandler instance at server side (CommonProxy)

I'm not sure when registerMessage started to take instance of IMessageHandler.

CommonProxy.java

public void registerPacketHandler() {
		HungryAnimals.simpleChannel.registerMessage(HandlerServerDGEditInt.class, PacketServerDGEditInt.class, 0, Side.SERVER);
		HungryAnimals.simpleChannel.registerMessage(HandlerServerDGEditDouble.class, PacketServerDGEditDouble.class, 1, Side.SERVER);
		HungryAnimals.simpleChannel.registerMessage(HandlerServerDGSet.class, PacketServerDGSet.class, 2, Side.SERVER);
		HungryAnimals.simpleChannel.registerMessage((message, ctx)->{return null;}, PacketClientSpawnParticle.class, 3, Side.CLIENT);
		HungryAnimals.simpleChannel.registerMessage((message, ctx)->{return null;}, PacketClientSyncTamable.class, 4, Side.CLIENT);
		HungryAnimals.simpleChannel.registerMessage((message, ctx)->{return null;}, PacketClientSyncHungry.class, 5, Side.CLIENT);
		HungryAnimals.simpleChannel.registerMessage((message, ctx)->{return null;}, PacketClientSyncProducingFluid.class, 6, Side.CLIENT);
		HungryAnimals.simpleChannel.registerMessage((message, ctx)->{return null;}, PacketClientSyncProducingInteraction.class, 7, Side.CLIENT);
	}

ClientProxy.java

@Override
	public void registerPacketHandler() {
		HungryAnimals.simpleChannel.registerMessage(HandlerServerDGEditInt.class, PacketServerDGEditInt.class, 0, Side.SERVER);
		HungryAnimals.simpleChannel.registerMessage(HandlerServerDGEditDouble.class, PacketServerDGEditDouble.class, 1, Side.SERVER);
		HungryAnimals.simpleChannel.registerMessage(HandlerServerDGSet.class, PacketServerDGSet.class, 2, Side.SERVER);
		HungryAnimals.simpleChannel.registerMessage(HandlerClientSpawnParticle.class, PacketClientSpawnParticle.class, 3, Side.CLIENT);
		HungryAnimals.simpleChannel.registerMessage(HandlerClientSyncTamable.class, PacketClientSyncTamable.class, 4, Side.CLIENT);
		HungryAnimals.simpleChannel.registerMessage(HandlerClientSyncHungry.class, PacketClientSyncHungry.class, 5, Side.CLIENT);
		HungryAnimals.simpleChannel.registerMessage(HandlerClientSyncProducingFluid.class, PacketClientSyncProducingFluid.class, 6, Side.CLIENT);
		HungryAnimals.simpleChannel.registerMessage(HandlerClientSyncProducingInteraction.class, PacketClientSyncProducingInteraction.class, 7, Side.CLIENT);
	}

• Thanks 1