Loot Table Primer

StretchFre

I have been getting into modding recently and have no idea how to even get started adding items to loot tables. I might be able to figure out how to make one, but when it comes to simply removing or adding to them in my mod i cannot seem to figure it out. Does anybody have any forbidden loot table knowledge they could share with me?

What are you trying to do?

Create your own loot table, or modify an existing loot table?

Apparently I'm a complete and utter jerk and come to this forum just like to make fun of people, be confrontational, and make your personal life miserable.  If you think this is the case, JUST REPORT ME.  Otherwise you're just going to get reported when you reply to my posts and point it out, because odds are, I was trying to be nice.

Exception: If you do not understand Java, I WILL NOT HELP YOU and your thread will get locked.

DO NOT PM ME WITH PROBLEMS. No help will be given.

From existing loot tables.

Ok.

Subscribe to the LootTableLoadEvent.

And then do magic.

And by magic, I mean I figured most of this out by trial and error and a single existing post on the forums.

https://github.com/Draco18s/ReasonableRealism/blob/master/src/main/java/com/draco18s/farming/FarmingEventHandler.java#L285

with references to

https://github.com/Draco18s/ReasonableRealism/blob/master/src/main/java/com/draco18s/hardlib/util/LootUtils.java

If anyone else has any advice on how to do this better, I'm all ears.  My biggest complaint/issue with the loot table system is that in order to detect a given loot table, I need to compare strings.

Apparently I'm a complete and utter jerk and come to this forum just like to make fun of people, be confrontational, and make your personal life miserable.  If you think this is the case, JUST REPORT ME.  Otherwise you're just going to get reported when you reply to my posts and point it out, because odds are, I was trying to be nice.

Exception: If you do not understand Java, I WILL NOT HELP YOU and your thread will get locked.

My biggest complaint/issue with the loot table system is that in order to detect a given loot table, I need to compare strings.
And how would you do that differently? Use an number-based ID?

I don't have an alternative. I don't know. But I can still not like it.

The other thing that I had trouble with, was being able to see the JSON equivalent of what I was doing.

That is, I couldn't figure out how to write my changes to a file.  I'm sure there's a way, I just couldn't figure out how.

The other thing that I had trouble with, was being able to see the JSON equivalent of what I was doing.

That is, I couldn't figure out how to write my changes to a file.  I'm sure there's a way, I just couldn't figure out how.

Reflectively get the value of LootTableManager#GSON_INSTANCE and call Gson#toJson() with it, passing in the LootTable that you want serialised.

Ah, cool.  I'll try and remember that.

I'm done doing my manipulation, and everything works the way I want, but there was a lot of poking around in the dark.