[1.9.4] adding custom 3d weapon with animation, bells and whistles.

salvestrom

The model itself can be in JSON, OBJ or B3D format. Textures can be animated using vanilla's mcmeta files. Models can be animated using Forge's animation system, which unfortunately doesn't have a lot of documentation.

The commit that added the system briefly explains the purpose of each class. The animation test mod (assets) has an example of a block and item with an animated model. The syntax of the Animation State Machine files is documented here.

Please don't PM me to ask for help. Asking your question in a public thread preserves it for people who are having the same problem in the future.

Why update from 1.7.10 to 1.9.4 and not directly to 1.10.2?

Don't PM me with questions. They will be ignored! Make a thread on the appropriate board for support.

1.12 -> 1.13 primer by williewillus.

1.7.10 and older versions of Minecraft are no longer supported due to it's age! Update to the latest version for support.

http://www.howoldisminecraft1710.today/

i'm picking my way through the https://github.com/MinecraftForge/MinecraftForge/blob/4feb1dff50bb156141be3d6f47b1976021ee29d3/src/test/java/net/minecraftforge/debug/ModelAnimationDebug.java, determining which bits I need and whats a product of the test mod being done in a single file.

the abstract class at line 76 doesnt seem to be anything I will need, however, at the end, line 166 I'm less clear on. Related: Line 169 is a class for the serverproxy which I don't think I have in my mod. where should the method here, related to line 166, go?

Line 177 is the client proxy where much registering of blocks and things takes place, as well as a renderer for the block. I'm not sure what I'm going to need from this for my weapon; what can go and what needs to be adjusted.

Line 236 is a class related to the animation of the block. I assume I'll need this, modified, for my custom weapon.

The last two classes are the the tile and entityliving classes for the block, which I guess can go. I just need the relevant lines that set the animation and so on put into the item class.

turns out I can't do anything until i recreate the model. the 1.7.10 model was a java file and made use of child boxes and various different angles. the default json format does not support rotations that are not multiples of 22.5 and subsequently modellers such as crayfish's  and BDcraft Cubik do not support non-22.5 rotations. ive also seen no indication of child boxes in the json format, so i'm not sure how i'm going to resolve the animation question. the item animations are akin to those of an entity with a multi-box tail. can this still be done?

JSON isn't the only model format, you can also use OBJ and B3D (which are mainstream formats rather than Minecraft-specific ones). The animation system should work with any of them.

Unfortunately I don't know enough about models/animation to help you much further.

Please don't PM me to ask for help. Asking your question in a public thread preserves it for people who are having the same problem in the future.