Is It Possible To Make A Rolling Silver Ball Sphere That Is Effected By Gravity?

gurujive

Back in 1.8-1.9 you could do block collision when an entity projectile made impact at the right angle and that would make it slide across the ground....

I'm kind of looking for a way to do that similar such thing in 1.10.2, except reliable enough to make a silver rolling ball with.

The ball would be slightly shorter than the player, Could be pushed around with pistons and stuff like that.

It is like this really simple idea that's super complex.

I know json won't support this one...

I don't see why not. And what Json has to do with it?

Make an Entity that moves (by adding motion to it) on collision with block/entity and make it fall if its not on ground.

As to rolling - to make it easier you can simply make it a rendering thing - calculate differences caused by movements each tick and make your render class use that (and sphere's radiu) to animate rotation (you will need to have rotation values in entity class that will represent rotation of model).

As to bounding boxes - you could stay with multiple AABB boxes that are close to ball, so like this (in 3D):

XX

XXXX

XXXX

XX

Or, if you want, go ahead and use ASM to make actual OBB. But hell - it's MC, stay with boxes dude.

1.7.10 is no longer supported by forge, you are on your own.

Short answer is "probably" it can be made.

If perfectly silver, then you can forget about rolling. There would not be any visible features to rotate about the center.

The really difficult part would be ray-tracing world images reflected from the spherical surface. You might get away with creating a "camera" at the center of the sphere that looks back at the player with a 180 degree field of view (imagine the F5 view from the center of the sphere).

Then map what it sees to 180 degrees of the sphere's surface facing the player. If you use the right GL calls in your renderer, the client's graphics card should do most of the heavy lifting. Even so, you might want a fall-back rendering scheme when the ball is beyond some useful distance from the player.

God help the client who puts 2 or more of these spheres near each other (rendering reflections of reflections).

The debugger is a powerful and necessary tool in any IDE, so learn how to use it. You'll be able to tell us more and get better help here if you investigate your runtime problems in the debugger before posting.

I don't see why not. And what Json has to do with it?

Make an Entity that moves (by adding motion to it) on collision with block/entity and make it fall if its not on ground.

As to bounding boxes - you could stay with multiple AABB boxes that are close to ball, so like this (in 3D):

XX

XXXX

XXXX

XX

Or, if you want, go ahead and use ASM to make actual OBB. But hell - it's MC, stay with boxes dude.

json's aren't sphere.

adding motion when on impact or block collision makes it bounce.... not roll or slide. If it slid then I could add friction to it or something.... maybe a boat?

Its quite puzzling...

Short answer is "probably" it can be made.

If perfectly silver, then you can forget about rolling. There would not be any visible features to rotate about the center.

The really difficult part would be ray-tracing world images reflected from the spherical surface. You might get away with creating a "camera" at the center of the sphere that looks back at the player with a 180 degree field of view (imagine the F5 view from the center of the sphere).

Then map what it sees to 180 degrees of the sphere's surface facing the player. If you use the right GL calls in your renderer, the client's graphics card should do most of the heavy lifting. Even so, you might want a fall-back rendering scheme when the ball is beyond some useful distance from the player.

God help the client who puts 2 or more of these spheres near each other (rendering reflections of reflections).

It could totally just be a plane jane grey ball with white shading. I just believe it would be cool to see a pinball you can push around on minecraft and make pinball machines with.

You'd really only need to have around 2-3 of them on your screen at max, that's if you hit a multi-ball bonus multiplier though.

Ah, I thought silver meant you wanted a mirrored surface. Much simpler to do a matte surface. Still, to show "rolling", the surface needs details to rotate about a point. Without details (texture), all orientations would look the same (allowing you to skip a bunch of math).

The debugger is a powerful and necessary tool in any IDE, so learn how to use it. You'll be able to tell us more and get better help here if you investigate your runtime problems in the debugger before posting.

Ah, I thought silver meant you wanted a mirrored surface. Much simpler to do a matte surface. Still, to show "rolling", the surface needs details to rotate about a point. Without details (texture), all orientations would look the same (allowing you to skip a bunch of math).

I still believe the math on the pistons would break it...

Like if it was going down, piston hit it. Then for a brief moment it existed going down and up... crash.

Or it may immediately crash when the piston goes to push it, or what if it made contact with slime >.>?

For this reason I'm not going to pursue the idea...

This is way more complex then I had initially imagined as well.

It was nice looking through the little crack in the door.... Just not a reasonable non resource-heavy way to do it.

Would be so awesome to see a redstone pinball machine though >.<

I still believe the math on the pistons would break it...

Like if it was going down, piston hit it. Then for a brief moment it existed going down and up... crash.

It will hit the piston and nothing will happen. This is not quantum computing, an object can only have one state.

Or it may immediately crash when the piston goes to push it, or what if it made contact with slime >.>?

For this reason I'm not going to pursue the idea...

Nothing unusual will happen whatsoever, your pinball is just like any other entity in the game.