Dynamic Heat and seasons: would this melt a server?

ddayboy91920

So I'm one of those people who enjoys games like minecraft being a bit more challenging and I was thinking "without having to constantly rebuild my world, what would be a fun way to do that?" my thought was, what if air had a heat value and you could die from heat exhaustion or hypothermia? Basically fires and lava would give off heat, stone would consume a little bit and ice a lot (that's not quite right for igloos to work), and it basically just spread it's value to the spaces around it. Therefore you could run a fireplace in your house in the middle of the snow/ winter and your house would be warm while the outside gets deadly cold. This would also result in low caves being a bit cold (as they are in reality) because the stone would consume a tiny bit of heat the farther down you went. Would this extra processing melt a server? What do you think of the idea? Let me know!

Edit: This would also include stoves (AKA furnaces) in the building, etc, and seasons would dictate the amount of "heat" lost to the ceiling of the chunk or gained from it.

Seasons? No problem!

Heat? Hell yeah!

Players frying? Why not?

Simulating thermodynamics - you are dead in the ditch.

Only valid approach to such stuff is what has been made earlier where you basically assign "static" properties like temperature to biomes/chunks and eventually height map and then eventually make small checks to very small area around (since it is cubical x^3). So yeah - have your environmental properties and you could even have campfires that would "overcome" those properties (you could check per-tick if campfire is close), but if you are asking about simulating something that is basically being done by computer physicists in advanced experiments - the overhead is over 9000!

I've seen maybe one mod that deals with gases spreading through air in caves (and it can explode or other shit) and that was pretty impressive - yet it was still very simplified to basically level of "reversed" water (water that goes up) because holding any thermodynamic property in block will need more than its meta, which means TileEntity. While data is not a problem - computational cost is.

• Like 1

1.7.10 is no longer supported by forge, you are on your own.

Don't biomes already have a variable called temp built in?

I seem to remember a long time ago a mod that messed with biome gen and affecting temperature and humidity could spawn more desert biomes if the temp is too high. or Jungle if the humidity is high.

Yes, but it's a static value. It's a per biome type temperature.

OP wants to basically add per block (every single block) and heat would go from block to block, with different transfer speeds based on material.