Player nbt not saved after death [1.9.4-1.10.2]

Rhym

Hi everyone

I have a problem with nbt tags attached to players

when I join and quit the world it saved correctly but if I die before disconnecting it disappears when I rejoin the map has anyone an idea how to fix this I have already tried out many fixes without succes

here is the lines that set the tag

public void writeData() {
	if (player != null) {
		NBTTagCompound oldNBT = player.getEntityData();
		NBTTagCompound nbt = oldNBT.getCompoundTag("ZombiesPlus");

if (!oldNBT.hasKey("ZombiesPlus")) {
			oldNBT.setTag("ZombiesPlus", nbt);
		}

nbt.setFloat("level", thirstLevel);
		nbt.setFloat("saturation", thirstSaturation);
	}
}

This is not how you should access player's data.

You should make @Capability (http://mcforge.readthedocs.io/en/latest/datastorage/capabilities/) and save from capability level.

As to issue at hand - additional data is discarded on death (not copied) to copy it you need to subscribe to PlayerEvent.Clone and do something like this:

if (event.isWasDeath())
{
Capability capNew = Cap.get(Capability.class, event.getEntityPlayer());
Capability capOld = Cap.get(Capability.class, event.getOriginal());
capOld.copyTo(capNew);
}

Where #get are my methods for getting cap and #copyTo is my utility that copies data from one to other.

EDIT:

NOTE - if you will NOT use capability like you SHOULD, you should NOT copy whole tag! Only your own data.

1.7.10 is no longer supported by forge, you are on your own.

Also, you will need to manually copy the capability on respawn. The respawned EntityPlayer is a new instance.

Apparently I'm a complete and utter jerk and come to this forum just like to make fun of people, be confrontational, and make your personal life miserable.  If you think this is the case, JUST REPORT ME.  Otherwise you're just going to get reported when you reply to my posts and point it out, because odds are, I was trying to be nice.

Exception: If you do not understand Java, I WILL NOT HELP YOU and your thread will get locked.

DO NOT PM ME WITH PROBLEMS. No help will be given.

ok I have changed my code to use Capabilities but still the same problem and even worse

when I die it is like I'm exsisting 2 times I can even hear a second walk sound and when I rejoin the world I am back were I was just a second after my respawn and the same data

When I die twice without disconecting it gets worse and my fps drops to an unplayable rate.

Its the first time I use this things so I used this tutorial : https://www.minecraftforgefrance.fr/showthread.php?tid=3028

I cant tell if something's wrong in there.

Thank you for your help.

Also, you will need to manually copy the capability on respawn. The respawned EntityPlayer is a new instance.

Isn't that what Ernio showed via PlayerEvent.Clone?

I missed that.

Apparently I'm a complete and utter jerk and come to this forum just like to make fun of people, be confrontational, and make your personal life miserable.  If you think this is the case, JUST REPORT ME.  Otherwise you're just going to get reported when you reply to my posts and point it out, because odds are, I was trying to be nice.

Exception: If you do not understand Java, I WILL NOT HELP YOU and your thread will get locked.

DO NOT PM ME WITH PROBLEMS. No help will be given.

Oh well. Just by looking at pieces of code I can tell that you are doing quite dangerous and generally bad stuff.

Is this mod supposed to be some kind of private server? Because if you are not after such design (e.g separate server mod with client mod), then damn - a lot of bad practices and stuff that's gonna leave a mark when you would think it should work.

Just some of it:

* You should probably never call this: "FMLCommonHandler.instance().getEffectiveSide()", that's what proxies are for.

* Some of events are client (render) or server (respawn, login, clone, ...) only - you should separate them into sided classes and register by proxy.

* Whole mapping EntityPlayer objects is ridiculous and is probably reason for most of problems (as well as not recognizing physical and logical sides). It probably (unless handled properly) also leaves you with slight or bigger memory leaks.

* A lot of design flaws coming from usage of events that I don't think you know how exactly work (again - physical sides).

* Overall design is just so messy... I could give you some tips.

If you want some direct help I offer Skype (ernio333) + TeamViewer help - because fk my free time :D

If not I recommend following few tutorials and generally cleaning up code.

Especially: http://mcforge.readthedocs.org/en/latest/concepts/sides/

I am talking about whole PlayerContainer and GameLogic. All per-player data should be placed in entity (Capabilities). Above that there is EntityPlayer as key in map which is just so bad.

ok I remove some of the problems and cleaned it a bit

but I dont get how to use capabilities in the right way even by copy pasting a tutorial it didn't work properly =/ ...

(and you said that should use the proxy for the events but how does it work in solo player ? becaus it dont load the events from the server side or am I doing it wrong ?)

Thank you for the help