[1.9.4] Copy Vanilla Minecraft File Properties

Rug

Hello! I am trying to create a block that would function similarly to snow layers in vanilla minecraft. Essentially the player can make different sandwiches by placing ingredients on top of each other in certain orders to create a specific sandwich block which would function like a cake where by right clicking you could eat a piece of the sandwich. I need the blocks to be the same size as a snow layer so the sandwich does not become a 8 block tall structure haha. Also, if anyone can direct me to a tutorial of how to create Multiblock Structures it would be appreciated!

My question is: Where do I find the code that makes vanilla minecraft items/blocks? My understanding is that I would create some new block that are copies of a snow layer block, change the textures to reflect ingredients, and make them compatible to be placed on top of one another.

Am I out of my mind, or is there a way to find the properties of the vanilla code in order to do something like this?

You're not going to be able to take the snow layer block and "change the texture to reflect the ingredients" because the snow only knows one thing:

How tall it is.

In order to track ingredients (meat, cheese vs. cheese, then meat) you're going to need a much more complex system (and probably a tile entity).

Apparently I'm a complete and utter jerk and come to this forum just like to make fun of people, be confrontational, and make your personal life miserable.  If you think this is the case, JUST REPORT ME.  Otherwise you're just going to get reported when you reply to my posts and point it out, because odds are, I was trying to be nice.

Exception: If you do not understand Java, I WILL NOT HELP YOU and your thread will get locked.

DO NOT PM ME WITH PROBLEMS. No help will be given.