Where does FML remove useless ModCandidates?

DaPorkchop_

I'm working on a mod to allow 1.7 mods to run on 1.8, and the only thing that seems to be holding me back at this point is recognizing the legacy mod as something that can be launched.  The idea is that once the 1.7 mod is a ModCandidate, then I can quickly intervene (maybe a bit of ASM to fire an event when all the mods are candidates) and then load them into an array.  Then using a placeholder mod which has all the normal Forge EventHandlers I can call the mods as the need comes.  However, even after quite a bit of digging around inside FML, I still haven't found the code which filters out the ModCandidates, and therefore don't know where my code needs to run.  Anybody here know what class (or even better, what function) the removal of useless mods happens at???

"Theory is when you know something, but it doesn't work. Practice is when something works, but you don't know why. Programmers combine theory and practice: Nothing works and they don't know why."

-- Unknown

This is not the answer, just side opinion: Your plan is pretty much impossible. Only thing that would work (1.7 mods on 1.8+) this way would be mods that use only some of forge API (which also changed) and very few parts of vanilla that also didn't change.

No to mention the fact that there are 4 threads on 1.8+ (while in older there are 2) and pretty much everything is overhauled.

Seriously - waste of time.

1.7.10 is no longer supported by forge, you are on your own.

It's not intended as a fully functional system, just a test to see if it COULD work.  The idea is that I create classes for all the old 1.7 things (i.e. cpw.mods.whatever) and redirect calls to their 1.8 equvalents (or add stuff to make it work, or just leave empty functions).  I know that it probaby won't work and definitely will never be fully functional, but it's worth a try. :P

"Theory is when you know something, but it doesn't work. Practice is when something works, but you don't know why. Programmers combine theory and practice: Nothing works and they don't know why."

-- Unknown

It won't :) I'd rather start new religion and go across the world preaching "Update you mods, people!" than choose to spend equivalent time writing porting system that won't even fully work and before it is even finished - there'd alredy be MC 1.10 and 1.7 would not be even in use anymore.

The fact that there are separate network threads on 1.8 is enough to pretty much kill everything you want.

Seriosuly, if you know ASM then you are pretty skillful - it is just time badly invested, even if it would be "just to learn" - stuff like this will not really apply anywhere else.

Sorry for being such a "NO-Man", but I am trying to save you from yourself.

1.7.10 is no longer supported by forge, you are on your own.

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Unfortunately, your content contains terms that we do not allow. Please edit your content to remove the highlighted words below.
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Announcements

• Recently Browsing

• No registered users viewing this page.
    • They were already updated, and just to double check I even did a cleanup and fresh update from that same page. I'm quite sure drivers are not the problem here. 
    • i tried downloading the drivers but it says no AMD graphics hardware has been detected    
    • Update your AMD/ATI drivers - get the drivers from their website - do not update via system  
    • As the title says i keep on crashing on forge 1.20.1 even without any mods downloaded, i have the latest drivers (nvidia) and vanilla minecraft works perfectly fine for me logs: https://pastebin.com/5UR01yG9
    • Hello everyone, I'm making this post to seek help for my modded block, It's a special block called FrozenBlock supposed to take the place of an old block, then after a set amount of ticks, it's supposed to revert its Block State, Entity, data... to the old block like this :  The problem I have is that the system breaks when handling multi blocks (I tried some fix but none of them worked) :  The bug I have identified is that the function "setOldBlockFields" in the item's "setFrozenBlock" function gets called once for the 1st block of multiblock getting frozen (as it should), but gets called a second time BEFORE creating the first FrozenBlock with the data of the 1st block, hence giving the same data to the two FrozenBlock :   Old Block Fields set BlockState : Block{minecraft:black_bed}[facing=east,occupied=false,part=head] BlockEntity : net.minecraft.world.level.block.entity.BedBlockEntity@73681674 BlockEntityData : id:"minecraft:bed",x:3,y:-60,z:-6} Old Block Fields set BlockState : Block{minecraft:black_bed}[facing=east,occupied=false,part=foot] BlockEntity : net.minecraft.world.level.block.entity.BedBlockEntity@6d1aa3da BlockEntityData : {id:"minecraft:bed",x:2,y:-60,z:-6} Frozen Block Entity set BlockState : Block{minecraft:black_bed}[facing=east,occupied=false,part=foot] BlockPos{x=3, y=-60, z=-6} BlockEntity : net.minecraft.world.level.block.entity.BedBlockEntity@6d1aa3da BlockEntityData : {id:"minecraft:bed",x:2,y:-60,z:-6} Frozen Block Entity set BlockState : Block{minecraft:black_bed}[facing=east,occupied=false,part=foot] BlockPos{x=2, y=-60, z=-6} BlockEntity : net.minecraft.world.level.block.entity.BedBlockEntity@6d1aa3da BlockEntityData : {id:"minecraft:bed",x:2,y:-60,z:-6} here is the code inside my custom "freeze" item :    @Override     public @NotNull InteractionResult useOn(@NotNull UseOnContext pContext) {         if (!pContext.getLevel().isClientSide() && pContext.getHand() == InteractionHand.MAIN_HAND) {             BlockPos blockPos = pContext.getClickedPos();             BlockPos secondBlockPos = getMultiblockPos(blockPos, pContext.getLevel().getBlockState(blockPos));             if (secondBlockPos != null) {                 createFrozenBlock(pContext, secondBlockPos);             }             createFrozenBlock(pContext, blockPos);             return InteractionResult.SUCCESS;         }         return super.useOn(pContext);     }     public static void createFrozenBlock(UseOnContext pContext, BlockPos blockPos) {         BlockState oldState = pContext.getLevel().getBlockState(blockPos);         BlockEntity oldBlockEntity = oldState.hasBlockEntity() ? pContext.getLevel().getBlockEntity(blockPos) : null;         CompoundTag oldBlockEntityData = oldState.hasBlockEntity() ? oldBlockEntity.serializeNBT() : null;         if (oldBlockEntity != null) {             pContext.getLevel().removeBlockEntity(blockPos);         }         BlockState FrozenBlock = setFrozenBlock(oldState, oldBlockEntity, oldBlockEntityData);         pContext.getLevel().setBlockAndUpdate(blockPos, FrozenBlock);     }     public static BlockState setFrozenBlock(BlockState blockState, @Nullable BlockEntity blockEntity, @Nullable CompoundTag blockEntityData) {         BlockState FrozenBlock = BlockRegister.FROZEN_BLOCK.get().defaultBlockState();         ((FrozenBlock) FrozenBlock.getBlock()).setOldBlockFields(blockState, blockEntity, blockEntityData);         return FrozenBlock;     }  
  • Topics

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.