[1.9] Custom Quest Book

MrPlantPots

I am wanting to create a book which will provide a task. on a single page. Once the task is completed I want the book to contain the next task. It could either just show one task at a time or show them all and tick them once completed, but they must be completed in order. I have absolutely no clue as to how I could get started. Does anybody have any tips, links, suggestions or code that could help with this?

I am wanting to create a book which will provide a task. on a single page. Once the task is completed I want the book to contain the next task. It could either just show one task at a time or show them all and tick them once completed, but they must be completed in order. I have absolutely no clue as to how I could get started. Does anybody have any tips, links, suggestions or code that could help with this?

Thank you, this seems like it should work for what I want to do. Would you mind explaining how I could create a dynamic book, that would change as different events are fired. I am not too sure how I could apply the capabilities to the Item and make it do this! Thank you :)

The book is just an item that displays a GUI.  In that GUI you can make it draw whatever you want.

Apparently I'm a complete and utter jerk and come to this forum just like to make fun of people, be confrontational, and make your personal life miserable.  If you think this is the case, JUST REPORT ME.  Otherwise you're just going to get reported when you reply to my posts and point it out, because odds are, I was trying to be nice.

Exception: If you do not understand Java, I WILL NOT HELP YOU and your thread will get locked.

DO NOT PM ME WITH PROBLEMS. No help will be given.

Exactly as Draco mentioned - the book Item is simply a convenient way to open a GUI, it doesn't actually contain any data itself. Quest data would presumably be tied to the player entity, so that is what you should attach any Quest Capability system to (IExtendedEntityProperties pre-1.8.9).

Note also that GUIs are completely client side, whereas your quest data is going to be stored and handled server side, so you need to send any data you wish to display to the client via packet when the player joins the world and whenever that data changes.

I may be off base here, but I have a few thoughts:

1) The quest (and quest chain) can exist independent of any book(s). In other words, if a psychic player completed a quest before looking at a book, then it would be completed (and have its effects).

2) Initially, a certain written book would be a possible loot item. After completion of a stage of the quest chain, the available written book would advance (presumably to provide new clues to the next stage). Chunks loaded before completing a stage might have chests containing older, now useless clues (too bad).

3) Each stage could necessitate visiting temples etc in virgin territory. However, killing witches etc or trading to villagers could generate fresh clue books in old chunks.

I personally wouldn't try to add new clues to old books, but YMMV. One strategic decision you need to make is whether the quest chain is per player or unique to a whole world/server. In other words, if player A completes stage 1 and then I kill a witch to find a clue-book, do I find a clue to stage 1 or stage 2 (and can I still achieve stage 1 for myself?).

The debugger is a powerful and necessary tool in any IDE, so learn how to use it. You'll be able to tell us more and get better help here if you investigate your runtime problems in the debugger before posting.