[1.7.10] Set custom block's ID

Paradox

Hello everyone,

while I was searching on the internet on how to set id of a custom block I read that since 1.7 version you cant set the ID anymore and all this is handled internally. Although, I really need to have fixed IDs for my blocks, is there any way to set a fixed ID?

Everything is possible, but that doesn't mean it will work. Any outside ID manipulation will backfire hard on you.

IDs are handled internally and are PER WORLD. Some cusomBlock can have different IDs in different worlds.

Why do you need it?

1.7.10 is no longer supported by forge, you are on your own.

Everything is possible, but that doesn't mean it will work. Any outside ID manipulation will backfire hard on you.

IDs are handled internally and are PER WORLD. Some cusomBlock can have different IDs in different worlds.

Why do you need it?

Oh I see. I need to "hack" a map viewer so it can render my blocks as well. The thing is that this map viewer uses block's IDs in order to render them. So, I cant have fixed IDs for my blocks no matter the world? And if I need to know what are my mod's block IDs are for a specific world where can I find them.

If something is using fixed IDs that something is broken and needs to be fixed. Don't try to hack around the fact that IDs are dynamic, you will just cause yourself and others a lot of harm.

Well, it is a map viewer written in C++. You pass a world save as input and you get an webpage with your map. It only supports vanilla blocks that's why I think it uses ID and not be broken. Are the custom block are the all the time for a world? Because if this is true I could just use the IDs for that world and render only this world.

If you load your World with the same set of mods as the last time you loaded it, the Block IDs will probably be the same as the last time. I don't see any harm in trying it out in a 3rd party piece of software, since it sounds like it is not actually interacting with Minecraft while it is running.

However, there is no guarantee that the block IDs for that world will match a new world, even with the exact same mods.

If you load your World with the same set of mods as the last time you loaded it, the Block IDs will probably be the same as the last time. I don't see any harm in trying it out in a 3rd party piece of software, since it sounds like it is not actually interacting with Minecraft while it is running.

However, there is no guarantee that the block IDs for that world will match a new world, even with the exact same mods.

Well, I dont need the block IDs to be the same to a new world. I just need to know if once a world created the IDs will be the same in this world all time. And there is not a chance IDs will be changed some time randomly.

They could very well change if you add or remove a mod after the world is created.

Well, the world will be a world created by a server so I will be in full control. If no more mods added after the world creation, will the IDs be unchangeable?

So it looks like you want to read and export custom block IDs rather than setting them. Then you can hack the viewer to read in a data file (e.g. XML or JSON) that associates each non-vanilla ID with a meaningful RGB value to display on the map.

If exporting IDs is troublesome, then just hack the viewer to assign a "random" RGB value to each non-vanilla block ID that it discovers. The colors won't correspond to in-game terrain color, but at least they can be unique.

What kinds of blocks are we talking about, and what scale is the map? For many custom blocks, mapping is irrelevant because they're singleton devices that would only show at the finest detail level, or they're ore deep underground where they're never mapped etc. For most maps, only the common surface blocks matter (water, ice, grass, sand, stone and leaves).

The debugger is a powerful and necessary tool in any IDE, so learn how to use it. You'll be able to tell us more and get better help here if you investigate your runtime problems in the debugger before posting.

So it looks like you want to read and export custom block IDs rather than setting them. Then you can hack the viewer to read in a data file (e.g. XML or JSON) that associates each non-vanilla ID with a meaningful RGB value to display on the map.

If exporting IDs is troublesome, then just hack the viewer to assign a "random" RGB value to each non-vanilla block ID that it discovers. The colors won't correspond to in-game terrain color, but at least they can be unique.

What kinds of blocks are we talking about, and what scale is the map? For many custom blocks, mapping is irrelevant because they're singleton devices that would only show at the finest detail level, or they're ore deep underground where they're never mapped etc. For most maps, only the common surface blocks matter (water, ice, grass, sand, stone and leaves).

Well my mod spawn structures in the surface of my world using custom blocks. I wanted this structures to rendered in a map viewer so I could have browser viewing support for my world. I managed to find the block IDs of my blocks and with a little testing I saw that blocks IDs are not changing if you create world. I guess the only gonna change if you install another mod, which is fine by me because I am not planning to do that. With the help of the map viewer's author I managed to add them and make them render as they supposed. So, I guess my problem solved, thanks everyone for your help :)