How does one do an action when clicking with the left mouse button?

needoriginalname

I am making a mod that causes an action occur, usually a chat message appears, when the player clicked a modded Item a made when clicking the left button.

I know how to do an action on the right mouse button, but how does one do it on the left mouse, especially if there might not be a block or entity when ever it clicks.

Last I checked there wasn't any generic left click method in the Item class, but you can subscribe to the ClientTickEvent and check if the GameSettings#keyBindAttack was pressed and your item is held, then call a method. Note that this is all CLIENT side, so if you want to do anything real, you'll need to send a packet to the server and do it there.

PlayerInteractEvent may also work, but I don't recall whether there is a LEFT_CLICK_AIR; if there is, you probably still need to send a packet, as I doubt it is called server side.

If you plan on having more than one item with this type of interaction, I'd make an interface for it such as ILeftClick with a method #onLeftClick, then you can have one check for that type of Item rather than a bunch of if/else if statements for all the different item types you want to handle.

I am also trying to do stuff on left click, here is what I have:

@SideOnly(Side.CLIENT)
@SubscribeEvent
public void LeftClick(ClientTickEvent event)
{
	//LogHelper.info("At least I get called");
	if(Minecraft.getMinecraft().gameSettings.keyBindAttack.isPressed())
	{
		LogHelper.info("Attacking");
                }
        }

When the first LogHelper is uncommented it spams the log, so I know this method is getting called, but the second LogHelper never gets called. Any idea what I have wrong with this if statement?

Current Project: Armerger 

Planned mods: Light Drafter  | Ore Swords

Looking for help getting a mod off the ground? Coding  | Textures