A few questions about how crafting works, and how the inventory is managed

miscsubbin

Ok, so the mod I'm making is a little non-standard and basically allows multiple blocks to exist, while only taking up one ID (with some limitations of course). I have an idea for what I want to be able to do, but I want to clear some things up before I get into the real meat of things.

1. When crafting, is it possible to send the actual instance of the block or item used on the crafting table to the item being crafted. i.e. Send each diamond and each stick to a diamond pickaxe that's being crafted.

2. Is it possible to allow for more than one item to be used in a single space in a single crafting recipe. i.e. Allow either sticks or logs when crafting a diamond pickaxe, but only use one recipe. (This one isn't as important, but it would make my life easier)

3. Is there any way to control what stacks? If two items share the same ID, can there be a way to control whether they stack together or not? i.e. A certain field is different in two instances, so they can't stack together, but they can stack with other items, based on conditions.

4. Is there a way to use an anvil's rename feature to change the name that shows up in the inventory? Or is there an easier way to do this?

Hopefully I was clear enough, but I will clarify or expand if needed.

EDIT: I actually just came up with solutions to problems 3 & 4, and 2 I can deal with if it can't work. So the only one I'm still worried about is #1 and it's fairly important.

#1: It can be done but you need to make your own crafting table, because the default implementation ( ItemStack.onCrafting(World, EntityPlayer,int) ) doesn't pass the crafting grid.

#2: yeah, you only need to add a new IRecipe.

#3: Unfortunately, no. the methods on ItemStack are final. However, you can override getItemStackLimit() on your Item class, but it won't be ItemStack-sensitive

#4: sorry, never used that. can't tell.