[1.8.9] Avoiding repetitive JSON files?

zerofall

I am working on a mod that has LOTS of items (not blocks), and I am getting tired of creating so many JSON item model files. They are all the EXACT same, except for the "layer0" path (and the image names are all the same as the unlocalized names). Is there a way around this so I don't have a hundred JSON files that are almost identical?

Forge's blockstates format may be useful here. You can specify a default model (e.g.

builtin/generated

) and transform set (e.g.

forge:default-item

) and then specify the textures in each variant. Despite the name, Forge allows it to be used for items as well as blocks.

For the

ModelResourceLocation

passed to

ModelLoader.setCustomModelResourceLocation

or returned from

ItemMeshDefinition#getModelLocation

, use the location of the blockstates file as the domain and path (e.g.

<modid>:<name>

, which maps to assets/<modid>/blockstates/<name>.json) and the variant in the blockstates file as the variant.

If you're using an

ItemMeshDefinition

with

ModelLoader.setCustomMeshDefinition

, you need to call

ModelBakery.registerItemVariants

with the same

ModelResourceLocation

s yourself. If you're using

ModelLoader.setCustomModelResourceLocation

ModelBakery.registerItemVariants

is called for you.

Please don't PM me to ask for help. Asking your question in a public thread preserves it for people who are having the same problem in the future.

I'm not sure if I understand what you mean, but I think I am already doing this. Example JSON files:

standard_item.json

{
    "parent":"builtin/generated",
    "display": {
        "thirdperson": {
            "rotation": [ -90, 0, 0 ],
            "translation": [ 0, 1, -3 ],
            "scale": [ 0.55, 0.55, 0.55 ]
        },
        "firstperson": {
            "rotation": [ 0, -135, 25 ],
            "translation": [ 0, 4, 2 ],
            "scale": [ 1.7, 1.7, 1.7 ]
        }
    }
}

exampleItem1.json:

{
    "parent":"test:item/standard_item",
    "textures": {
        "layer0":"test:items/exampleItem1"
    }
}

Code used to register model:

public static void registerRenderer(Item item) {
    Minecraft.getMinecraft().getRenderItem().getItemModelMesher().register(item, 0, new ModelResourceLocation(Reference.modId + ":" + item.getUnlocalizedName().substring(5), "inventory"));
}

My problem is that for the "exampleItem1.json" file... I have tons of them... and SURELY there is a way around that. Is there a way that I can have them all use the same JSON file, and pass in the unlocalized name as a variable into the JSON file (or something like that)?

Thanks for the tips. So I can use 1 JSON file with 100 lines instead of 100 JSON files... but I am still wondering if there is a way to have 1 short, dynamic JSON file that passes in the unlocalized name instead? Or maybe a way to do this that goes around JSON files all together?

You CAN get what you want.

The question is SHOULD you?

You've spent more time looking for a way around it then it would take to write a small script to generate the files.

Combined with the fact that if you DO figure a way around it you are doing nothing but limiting the flexibility that resource pack creators have over your items.

I do Forge for free, however the servers to run it arn't free, so anything is appreciated.
Consider supporting the team on Patreon