MinecraftByExample [1.8.9] - working examples of blocks, items, etc

TheGreyGhost

Hi

I have updated MinecraftByExample to work with 1.8.9.  Actually not many changes were required; a couple of tessellator functions, ModelLoader and some vanilla name changes.

See here https://github.com/TheGreyGhost/MinecraftByExample

The purpose of MinecraftByExample is to give simple working examples of the important concepts in Minecraft and Forge.

If you're anything like me, a good code example is worth several screens' worth of waffling explanation, and can very

quickly explain the key concepts.  I also find it much easier to adapt and debug something that already works, than to have to

synthesise something from scratch and spend hours trying to discover the missing bit of information I didn't know about.

List of examples

Blocks

MBE01 - a simple cube

MBE02 - a block with a more complicated shape

MBE03 - a block (coloured signpost) with multiple variants- four colours, can be placed facing in four directions

MBE04 - a camouflage ("secret door") block which copies the appearance of adjacent blocks - uses ISmartBlockModel

MBE05 - a 3D web which joins to neighbours in all six directions - uses ISmartBlockModel and ICustomModelLoader

MBE06 - several different types of block which use redstone

MBE08 - how to add a creative tab for organising your custom blocks / items

Items

MBE10 - a simple item

MBE11 - an item with multiple variants - rendered using multiple models and multiple layers

MBE12 - an item that stores extra information in NBT, also illustrates the "in use" animation similar to drawing a bow

MBE13 - customise Mining behaviour of Blocks and Items - several test classes that show how mining works

MBE14 - an interactive helper tool to adjust the ItemCameraTransforms for your custom item

MBE15 - a chessboard item with 1 - 64 pieces; uses ISmartItemModel

TileEntities

MBE20 - using a tile entity to store information about a block - also shows examples of using NBT storage

MBE21 - using the TileEntitySpecialRenderer to render unusual shapes or animations

Containers (Inventory blocks)

MBE30 - a simple container for storing items in the world - similar to a Chest

MBE31 - a functional container such as a Furnace or Crafting Table

Recipes (Crafting and Furnaces)

MBE35 - some typical example crafting recipes and furnace (smelting) recipes

HeadsUpDisplay - overlays

MBE40 - simple customisations of the heads up display (hotbar, health meter)

EntityFX - particle effects

MBE50 - shows how to use vanilla EntityFX; also how to generate your own custom EntityFX

Network

MBE60 - send network messages between client and server

Configuration GUI

MBE70 - configuration file linked to the "mod options" button GUI on the mods list screen

Testing tools

MBE75 - a tool to help you automate testing of your classes in-game.

-TGG

• 1 month later...

Neat stuff.

To import it as a project in eclipse I used:  File -> Import -> Gradle -> Gradle Project

Then browsed to the folder containing the MinecraftByExample files and the gradle-setup.

I mention this because it took me much trial and error to figure out which method of importing to use out of the 20+ methods eclipse offered up.

I believe I now have it right since the "Package Explorer" window shows a "Reference Libraries" entry that contains, among others, the realms and lwjgl libraries.

(I know a bit of java, but never used an IDE with it. My last serious use of an IDE was a Borland C++ IDE on my i386 Arima portable. )