[1.8] Issues with reloadable gun

JimiIT92

So far i was trying to make a gun that after each shot it has to be reload. So the scenario is: shoot-reload-shoot-reload an so on. However adding a reload state makes the gun do weird things wich you can see here

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dU6lfGEXyx0&feature=youtu.be

This is the item class that i use for each gun in the mod. ItemMod is just a class that extends Item and do nothing special (just setting the creative tab and unlocalized name)

package com.konnor;

import java.util.List;
import java.util.Random;

import net.minecraft.entity.player.EntityPlayer;
import net.minecraft.inventory.IInventory;
import net.minecraft.item.ItemStack;
import net.minecraft.util.BlockPos;
import net.minecraft.util.EnumChatFormatting;
import net.minecraft.util.StatCollector;
import net.minecraft.world.World;

public class ItemGun extends ItemMod
{
private String support;
private String cane;

private boolean reload = false;

public ItemGun(String par1, String par2)
{
	super();
	this.support = "material." + par1;
	this.cane = "material." + par2;
	this.setMaxStackSize(1);
}

public ItemStack onItemRightClick(ItemStack stack, World world, EntityPlayer player)
{
	BlockPos pos = player.getPosition();
	Random rand = new Random();
	if(reload)
	{
		world.playSound((double)pos.getX(), (double)pos.getY(), (double)pos.getZ(), "connorkpt:reload", 0.2F + rand.nextFloat() * 0.2F, 0.9F + rand.nextFloat() * 0.15F, false);

reload = false;
	}
	else if((player.inventory.hasItem(ModItems.bullet) || player.capabilities.isCreativeMode))
	{
		IInventory inv = player.inventory;
		for(int i=0; i < inv.getSizeInventory(); i++)
		{
			if(inv.getStackInSlot(i) != null)
			{
				ItemStack j = inv.getStackInSlot(i);
				if(j.getItem() != null && j.getItem() == ModItems.bullet)
				{
					inv.decrStackSize(i, 1);
					i = inv.getSizeInventory();
				}
			}
		}
		if (!world.isRemote)
		{
			world.spawnEntityInWorld(new EntityBullet(world, player));
		}
		world.playSound((double)pos.getX(), (double)pos.getY(), (double)pos.getZ(), "connorkpt:gun", 0.2F + rand.nextFloat() * 0.2F, 0.9F + rand.nextFloat() * 0.15F, false);

reload = true;
	}

return stack;
}

@Override
public void addInformation(ItemStack stack, EntityPlayer player, List list, boolean Adva)
{
	EnumChatFormatting chat;
	EnumChatFormatting chat2;
	if(this.support.equals("material.oak"))
		chat = EnumChatFormatting.YELLOW;
	else if(this.support.equals("material.birch"))
		chat = EnumChatFormatting.WHITE;
	else
		chat = EnumChatFormatting.GRAY;
	if(this.cane.equals("material.gold"))
		chat2 = EnumChatFormatting.YELLOW;
	else if(this.cane.equals("material.silver"))
		chat2 = EnumChatFormatting.WHITE;
	else
		chat2 = EnumChatFormatting.GRAY;
	if(this != ModItems.rapier_gun && this != ModItems.rifle_axe)
	{			
		list.add(StatCollector.translateToLocal("support.name") + ": "  + chat + StatCollector.translateToLocal(support));
		list.add(StatCollector.translateToLocal("material.name") + ": "  + chat2 + StatCollector.translateToLocal(cane));
	}
}
}

Don't blame me if i always ask for your help. I just want to learn to be better :)

First of all:

for(int i=0; i < inv.getSizeInventory(); i++)
		{
			if(inv.getStackInSlot(i) != null)
			{
				ItemStack j = inv.getStackInSlot(i);
				if(j.getItem() != null && j.getItem() == ModItems.bullet)
				{
					inv.decrStackSize(i, 1);
					i = inv.getSizeInventory();
				}
			}
		}

That will decrease 1 form all the bullet stacks that is in your inventory. A boolean should fix it.

Than, there is a thing player.posX, player.posY, player.posZ.

Finally:

(player.inventory.hasItem(ModItems.bullet)

Returns true for some reason. How did you register your items?

The for cycle only decrease the first stack of bullets that encount, i've already tested it ;) The player.posX/Y/Z thing is used when the sound should be played.

The items are registered as usual, in the init method of the main mod file, using GameRegistry.registerItem(item, name);

Don't blame me if i always ask for your help. I just want to learn to be better :)

You know there is a function called consumeInventoryItem, which just consumes the item.

Also, items must be registered in the

preInit

. NOT the

init

phase.

Now, the last most important thing is: you cannot store values inside your item classes. There are only one instance of every item, which makes every field in that class, static throughout all items in the game. Which means all items will reload at the same time. Not good...

Do it with metadata instead. 0 equals no reload, 1 is reload. Got it?

I might be terribly wrong.. Like really, really wrong. But I'm just trying to help.

i was trying doing that to avoid using metadata and sub-items :/ But i'll do it. So every time i click i should change the item in hand of player, right? Also why the item registration should be done in the preInit? I always do that in the init and it never gives me a problem :/

Yes, update the item the player is holding. :)

Also why the item registration should be done in the preInit? I always do that in the init and it never gives me a problem :/

It works yes, but the there is a reason to why there are different phases. If I remember correctly, preInit is registration, init is crafting recipes, forge hooks..., and postInit is bridging to other mods.

I might be terribly wrong.. Like really, really wrong. But I'm just trying to help.

No. I guess it would have an impact if somebody wanted to bridge over to your mod. Also, their are some stuff like, tabs before blocks and items, items and blocks before crafting recipes.. etc. And the different states do help prevent that. After all, you cannot use any of your items before the items have been instantiated. ;)