Furnace Hooks

Koward

[Note]  This post is partially copied from the thread I started in the Modder Support section here :

Hi !

I wanted to mod the vanilla furnace a bit, but it seems, unlike its Crafting Table cousin, it doesn't got much attention.

Basically, there is no hook that could allow us to do something when an item is placed in whatever furnace slot, or when it starts to smelt. An ItemSmelted event is triggered when smelting is over but no in between.

Example of situations where they could be used :

- I want to burn fuels in furnaces as soon as I put them.

- I want to speed up the furnace by a 2x factor. Seems equals to dividing the burning "value" of fuels by 2 and divide the burning speed of to-be-cooked items by 2 too.

To do that we need access to the items.

Where an event should be triggered :

- Item put in Slot In/Fuel/Out

As Choonster stated, "the furnace uses TileEntityFurnace#func_174904_a to determine the cook time of the item being smelted, but this always returns 200. It doesn't look like Forge provides any hooks for changing this value".

Why not just do what everyone else does and write your own furnace instead of changing the gameplay of the vanilla one.

There is no way to do this without having conflicts between mods. Which is the major reason people make their own furnaces.

You could replace the Furnace with your own if you want the 'feel' to be the same for the end user it has the same effect of only allowing one mod to edit it's mechanics.

I do Forge for free, however the servers to run it arn't free, so anything is appreciated.
Consider supporting the team on Patreon

I wasn't aware that it could be the origin of big conflicts, really, my bad.

But anyway it makes me wonder if modding (or at least, modding with Forge) should be just about adding content ? Do you promote editing vanilla mechanics ? These days I see a couple of APIs (like AppleCore for food&hunger systems) editing fundamental mechanics of the original game, there is a fresh will to "fix" the unbalanced parts.

Keeping compatibility between this kind of mods sounds of course a bit harder than keep Obsidian tools and Emerald tools together, but is it even possible, and are you even looking for it or do you consider the actual trend of creating small Coremods more fit to handle that ?

No we don't recommend changing vanilla mechanics such as the furnace and things.

IF you do, your mod should be JUST that and should be stand-alone, and any other mods should not FORCE that one to be installed.

There are some mods out there that edit core functionality and when it comes to mod packs, the packer usually grabs one that they feel is best and goes with it.

Just be weary that MOST mods balance themselves against vanila mechanics. Your 'make furnace run twice as fast' completely negates the need for any 'speed upgrade' furnace in any other mod such as IC2, BC, TE, ...

Then again, I would also say NEVER make a COREmod, as editing base classes is bad, 90% of the time you can do what you want without resulting to ASM hacks.

I do Forge for free, however the servers to run it arn't free, so anything is appreciated.
Consider supporting the team on Patreon

No we don't recommend changing vanilla mechanics such as the furnace and things.

IF you do, your mod should be JUST that and should be stand-alone, and any other mods should not FORCE that one to be installed.

There are some mods out there that edit core functionality and when it comes to mod packs, the packer usually grabs one that they feel is best and goes with it.

Just be weary that MOST mods balance themselves against vanila mechanics. Your 'make furnace run twice as fast' completely negates the need for any 'speed upgrade' furnace in any other mod such as IC2, BC, TE, ...

My "make furnace run twice as fast" was an example and in fact I would probably do the opposite to make some upgrades more meaningful if I feel that Mojang or some Mod Creators doesn't properly balance their content.

But I get your point, I think I'll probably go for stand alones if I start any project in the future. Thank you for your answers.