[Workaround Found] [1.7.10] Making a Vanilla Item Usable (Like Food)

Choonster

Someone posted here asking for help making Sugar edible, so I thought I'd try to help them; but unfortunately it looks like vanilla breaks things by replacing the player's held item with a copy, which stops the item from being used (you can see a full explanation of the effect here). My code is here.

Is there any way around this without resorting to ASM or intercepting packets?

Please don't PM me to ask for help. Asking your question in a public thread preserves it for people who are having the same problem in the future.

Someone posted here asking for help making Sugar edible, so I thought I'd try to help them; but unfortunately it looks like vanilla breaks things by replacing the player's held item with a copy, which stops the item from being used (you can see a full explanation of the effect here). My code is here.

Is there any way around this without resorting to ASM or intercepting packets?

Did you try replacing the held item yourself? Like every player tick check if the held item is sugar and then replace with your own edible sugar item?

And the other way is to fully replace the vanilla by removing it from creative tabs, changing recipes to create your version, and ensure that it doesn't generate in chests or get dropped.

And yet another way would be to create your own system for eating those items. Like just count if it being used and decrement your own counter field (or NBT on the item stack).

Check out my tutorials here: http://jabelarminecraft.blogspot.com/

Thanks for the advice, jabelar. I decided to add a custom Edible Sugar item and replace all recipes involving Sugar with recipes that output Edible Sugar and/or take either kind of Sugar as input. I also added recipes to convert between regular and Edible Sugar.

You can see my implementation of this here. This is the class I used to replace the recipes.

Please don't PM me to ask for help. Asking your question in a public thread preserves it for people who are having the same problem in the future.

Thanks for the advice, jabelar. I decided to add a custom Edible Sugar item and replace all recipes involving Sugar with recipes that output Edible Sugar and/or take either kind of Sugar as input. I also added recipes to convert between regular and Edible Sugar.

You can see my implementation of this here. This is the class I used to replace the recipes.

Cool, glad it worked.

Check out my tutorials here: http://jabelarminecraft.blogspot.com/