[1.8] Custom Item Models?

FieryChocobo

So i just started modding with Forge and am following Bedrock_miners Tutorials. I have set up my Workspace and made my first item, so now i have reached the Section where the texture and Model gets registered for that Item. Now i already have an Idea for a Mod in Mind so i am kind of working on that, which means that my first item will be a key. I don't wanna just copy his code if it isn't actually what i want in the end so my Question is,

how do i make a Custom Model for an item? Something like the Thaumcraft Wands for example. How would one go about making a 3D Model like that?

So i just started modding with Forge and am following Bedrock_miners Tutorials. I have set up my Workspace and made my first item, so now i have reached the Section where the texture and Model gets registered for that Item. Now i already have an Idea for a Mod in Mind so i am kind of working on that, which means that my first item will be a key. I don't wanna just copy his code if it isn't actually what i want in the end so my Question is,

how do i make a Custom Model for an item? Something like the Thaumcraft Wands for example. How would one go about making a 3D Model like that?

I'm fairly new also but as far as I know you create initial 2D images and thne it uses certain calculations to twist and turn the 2D image so it looks 3D in certain view points 'dropped' 'placed' 'inhand' etc. there is an amazing tool that does all this for you and gives you the needed .json file that tells minecraft all the variables and calculations to make it 3D

http://www.minecraftforum.net/forums/mapping-and-modding/minecraft-tools/1265906-tool-mc-model-maker-design-custom-block-models

You can make 3D items with Minecrafts model format. I'm not going to explain that since there are a dozen tutorials for that.

If using voxels isn't your thing, then you can replace the model with a new IBakedModel. TheGreyGhost has a tutorial project for that kind of thing. Just search Minecraft by Example. Do note that if you use the IBakedModel method, you do have to use quads, not triangles. However, they don't need to be cuboid quad groups.