Why is block rendering so undocumented and secretive.

Neoublie

I have just recently started learning how to Mod and the main thing I wish to be able to do is custom blocks/multi block structures and custom GUIs

I have now been stuck for about a week and a half (maybe longer) while I trawl the internet trying to find definitive tutorials or fix's for the issues I am having. ( I believe I am almost correct except that my rendered block remains invisible when placed)

Is there someone out there that can either help me or put together a definitive guide to...

A. Which kind of renderer to use for each type of block being implemented.

and

B. How to implement each type of renderer with simple example block and textures.

Neoublie

Author of Codename: Project Shadow

if you do models and textures pm me. looking for some assistance.

Uh, have you ever used google? There are thousands of tutorials on this subject.

You need a ISimpleBlockRenderingHandler, you need to generate a unique render id(client side) with RenderingRegistry.getNextAvailableRenderId, and you need to register it with RenderingRegistry.registerBlockHandler. Return the generated ID as your rendertype.

That covers all of the problems I know of people have with this.

First of all yes I have used Google. that is what I said in my post and I have spent a lot of time watching, reading and trying to follow the tutorials I can find.  the next issue is I need a TileEntitySpecialRenderer not a ISimpleBlockRenderingHandler. and there is no RenderingRegistry option that deals with tileentities only simple blocks and entities.

also the only tutorials I can find with any decent explanations are for mod loader not forge and they don't seem to translate to forge and work either.  if there are thousands of tutorials explaining how to do this that you have found could you please share a link with the rest of the modding community rather then telling me to use Google which I have been searching with. every day for now about 2 weeks to find a solution.  I didn't just decide to be too lazy and hope someone would give me the answer. I am at a dead end here.

Neoublie

• 2 weeks later...

Yes thank you. I did find that the register was under the clientRegistry class.

I also found that I had durp'd up.  I had made so many attempts that were wrong in the past that I had created multiple simple mod files each time I tried a new approach.

on the final attempt where I was sure I had all my renderer's, tileentities, blocks, and  models etc, coded correctly, I had missed a single line that I simply hadn't added and had missed every time I re read through my code.  proxy.renderModels()

now everything is rendering fine and no more going crazy over what appeared to be correct. lol

Neoublie