Building mods against custom Minecraft Forge version

qqxv

I've made a few changes to Forge for 1.7.10 for custom, personal use.

The Forge project builds just fine. All the JARs come out properly, including the userdev one. I can play Minecraft with custom-Forge installed and it works fine.

(No, I can't use reflection. It would be ten times the effort for a personal project and would create issues between mods that use the extra hook and mods that don't.)

But when I try to use the "src" distribution that results, it crashes, saying it can't find Forge 10.14.4.0 in the Forge Maven repository.

How do I build other mods against my custom version of Minecraft Forge?

Is there any way I can tell Forge-Gradle to look locally?

Thanks so much for any help.

It's an altered version of Forge to support 4096 biomes. I wanted to explore a more varied Minecraft world, so figured while I wouldn't want to support the (kind of hacky) methods I'd use to expand the biome array, I could handle it for personal use only.

I've gotten it working okay with base Minecraft, but I can't test the mods built against it as they use a new method and won't compile against unmodified Forge.

And yeah, I know this isn't an ideal way of doing it. I know Forge doesn't support 4096 biomes for a reason, and I'm not arguing with that. I wouldn't dream of doing this for anything but personal use, but for personal use I am willing to put up with some odd behavior.

• 2 years later...
On 8/26/2015 at 7:18 PM, LexManos said:

You can, but what are you trying to do...

I hate to revive such an old thread... But you mentioned this is possible. Mind explaining how? I've been searching Google and these forums for hours trying to figure this out. There's another thread with @diesieben07 saying its not possible at all.

My use case: I've compiled in a new event from a dead PR (AdvancementGrantEvent) without all the extra and irrelevant patches/changes and I would like to use it in one of my mods, but I cant for the life of me figure out how to compile my mod against the custom compiled forge.

Any insight would be highly grateful ^_^

Edited by BillyGalbreath
Clarification of dead pr

Don't ping me, you can, but you shouldn't as thats just causing a fork in the community.

Its actually simple if you look into it But we leave it to the advanced users who can read the build system/workspace and understand what they are doing.

Beyond that, who says that PR is dead? Is it closed?

PRs that are remaining open need more discussion and interest from the community not 'Fuck it ill fork the shit myself and screw trying to keep end users lives straight'

I do Forge for free, however the servers to run it arn't free, so anything is appreciated.
Consider supporting the team on Patreon

On 9/19/2017 at 3:13 AM, LexManos said:

Don't ping me, you can, but you shouldn't as thats just causing a fork in the community.

Its actually simple if you look into it But we leave it to the advanced users who can read the build system/workspace and understand what they are doing.

Beyond that, who says that PR is dead? Is it closed?

PRs that are remaining open need more discussion and interest from the community not 'Fuck it ill fork the shit myself and screw trying to keep end users lives straight'

Fair enough. Though, I'm not forking it for others, it's for my own server until the event gets PR'd (server side only mod), which I'm sure eventually will just not in its current state.

Edit: Finally got a day off work, and I figured it out. Posting solution here for search engines.

To make a long story short, I copied the cached gradle directory of the forge version I forked (2489) and named it as build 0. I then cleared the mcp mapping directory in the snapshots directory. I then placed my userdev jar in the cleared directory. In my mod I set my forge to build 0 and ran setupDecompWorkspace and ForgeGradle built all the other jars and md5 files needed.

I've attached a screenshot of the directory I cleared, with my userdev jar highlighted. All the other files there ForgeGradle built for me. I hope this helps the next person that finds this thread from searching. ;)

forked_forge.png

Edited by BillyGalbreath