No mods for 1.8 (1 year old), Any ways to fix this?

darkraven418

So, I was thinking about 1.8. (1 year, and barley any mods) But there are still plenty of mods for 1.7 being updated.

I think I may have a solution: Make it stupidly easy to port mods from 1.7.10 to 1.9. (I guess...)

Any other ideas.

Sidenote: I do know that this would take lots of effort to "familiarize" the functions and stuff. I'm not one of those jerks with no knowledge, who expects everyone else to do "easy" things.

There is nothing I can do on my end to make modders stop being lazy.

Its impossible to "Make it stupidly easy to port" because that's not how programming works, you can't just magically make things 'easy'.

I do Forge for free, however the servers to run it arn't free, so anything is appreciated.
Consider supporting the team on Patreon

• 1 month later...

Or you can create couple simple tutorials. For me, and I have quite large experience with programming, depending only on Javadoc is just too hard to create something with no payment. You guys know how to create for example Client-Server mod which do something awesome but newbie is giving up after 2-3 days not having any progress.

Modding is about community not about "my job is done, it's you are lazy". There are many mods <= 1.7 because people have some base to start. I failed hardly trying do my own mod.

Yeah, I know. Even I tried one which is simply incompatible with latest release. Or something goes wrong with dependencies. This means ofcourse, and this isn't any accusation, I need to waste time which I could spear on modding in experimenting which solution is working, what is working and so on. Don't get me wrong, experimenting is good but not such experimenting. I thing your work is great,  in past I even used it once and I was very impressed how great it is.

So, ask you guys as a fan, please make just 3-4 tutorials with basics. This shouldn't be too much work. Every new person which want only one thing and this thing is create something equaly awesome as your great work will be graceful for that. Because depending on someone from outside and getting errors on the begining just discourage every potential modder

Sorry for long post

Feel free to make the tutorials yourself and submit them to our repo.

https://github.com/MinecraftForge/Documentation

http://mcforge.readthedocs.org/en/latest/

There is already quite a bit of documentation there about 1.8.

Beyond that I've stated MANY MANY MANY TIMES That I suck at writing documentation and it's up to other people to do it.

MY Time is better spent actually working on the code and related projects to continue moving Forge forward.

And what you described is basic debugging, its part of being a programmer, deal with it. How about quit bitching, and help the community yourself by sharing what YOU learn.

I do Forge for free, however the servers to run it arn't free, so anything is appreciated.
Consider supporting the team on Patreon