Getting EntityPlayer KeyInputEvent

Atijaf

I require the EntityPlayer from the event and the only way I know of getting a player is by using Minecraft.getMinecraft.thePlayer, which I think is incorrect...

@SubscribeEvent
public void onKeyInput(KeyInputEvent event){
	EntityPlayerSP player = Minecraft.getMinecraft().thePlayer;
	if (ClientProxy.keyBindings[0].isPressed()){
		if (player.isSneaking() && player.getCurrentEquippedItem() != null && player.getCurrentEquippedItem().getItem() != null){

Block block = Block.getBlockById(Item.getIdFromItem(player.getCurrentEquippedItem().getItem()));
			IBlockState state = block.getStateFromMeta(player.getCurrentEquippedItem().getMetadata());
			CurrentMimicBlockState.get((EntityPlayer) player).setMimicBlock(state);//Crashes here..  I have tested it elsewhere and it works fine.
		}
	}
}
}

That is the correct way to get the client player, but you probably shouldn't be changing this on the client side unless it's a client-only mechanic.

If other players need to know about the change, you should send a packet to the server to tell it that the key was pressed and then handle the change there.

You shouldn't be using block or item IDs at all unless you have a very good reason to (which is almost never the case). To get the

Block

form of an

Item

, use

Block.getBlockFromItem

Please don't PM me to ask for help. Asking your question in a public thread preserves it for people who are having the same problem in the future.

It is correct.

KeyEvents are client side only, so u are free to use that , u are only NOT allowed to use that on server side :)

That is the correct way to get the client player, but you probably shouldn't be changing this on the client side unless it's a client-only mechanic.

If other players need to know about the change, you should send a packet to the server to tell it that the key was pressed and then handle the change there.

You shouldn't be using block or item IDs at all unless you have a very good reason to (which is almost never the case). To get the

Block

form of an

Item

, use

Block.getBlockFromItem

Thanks for the help with getting the block from the item.

And all that server talk made me think a little harder.  I found the error and I'm good to go now!  I was sending a packet to the client side instead of the server.  Ooops!!

Thanks again for all the help.

Hmmm.. I thought it was fine after looking at it for a little bit.  Unfortunately, it looks like it's not syncing to the server.

What is suppose to happen is this..

Each player has nbt tag that holds an IBlockState Id.

This Id is then used in my Tile Entity Mimic block to tell the block what to look like.

(client side only)

When I press shift, and f together, it checks the player's inventory to see if he has a block, and if so,

copy that blocks state into the tile entity Mimic block.

after that it is suppose to send message to the server, syncing the object.

key Input method (doesn't work/ doesn't sync to server...)

@SubscribeEvent
public void onKeyInput(KeyInputEvent event){
	EntityPlayerSP player = Minecraft.getMinecraft().thePlayer;
	if (ClientProxy.keyBindings[0].isPressed()){
		if (player.isSneaking() && player.getCurrentEquippedItem() != null && player.getCurrentEquippedItem().getItem() != null){
			ItemStack item = player.getCurrentEquippedItem();
			Block block = Block.getBlockFromItem(item.getItem());
			IBlockState state = block.getStateFromMeta(item.getMetadata());
			CurrentMimicBlockState.get((EntityPlayer) player).setMimicBlock(state);
			PacketDispatcher.sendToServer(new SyncCurrentMimicBlockState((EntityPlayer) player));

}
	}
}
}

setMimic command execute (works)

public void execute(ICommandSender sender, String[] args)
		throws CommandException {
	if(args.length > 0){
		CurrentMimicBlockState.get((EntityPlayer) sender).setMimicBlock(Block.getStateById(Integer.parseInt(args[0])));
	}
}

setMimicBlock method

public void setMimicBlock(IBlockState state) {
	this.state = state;
}

I have figured out that the server side is not in sync with the client side.

The command works just fine, while the playerInput doesn't..  I don't know why

public void setMimicBlock(IBlockState state, boolean isClient) {
                this.state = state;
                if (isClient){
                        PacketDispatcher.sendToAll(new SyncCurrentMimicBlockState((EntityPlayer) this.player));
                        PacketDispatcher.sendToServer(new SyncCurrentMimicBlockState((EntityPlayer) this.player));
                }
                else
                        PacketDispatcher.sendTo(new SyncCurrentMimicBlockState((EntityPlayer) this.player), ((EntityPlayerMP) this.player));
        }

sendToAll should also send to server

nevermind