Rendering textures through the LivingHurtEvent event handler

Ytt

So here's what I want to do: render a texture on the screen every time you hit a zombie. BUT, I can't figure out how to do this!

My current code is (and everything that's not declared in the method is a private field):

@SubscribeEvent(priority = EventPriority.NORMAL)

public void onEvent(LivingHurtEvent event)

{

if (event.entity instanceof EntityChicken)

{

scaledresolution = new ScaledResolution(mc, mc.displayWidth, mc.displayHeight);

int scalefactor = scaledresolution.getScaleFactor();

int x = 1920 / scalefactor;

int y = 1080 / scalefactor;

this.mc.renderEngine.bindTexture(new ResourceLocation("pvp:textures/mod/modid.png"));

this.drawTexturedModalRect((int) (scaledresolution.getScaledWidth_double()/ 2) + (x / 2) - 80, (int) (scaledresolution.getScaledHeight_double()/ 2) + (y / 2) - 22, 0, 0, 128, 32);

}

but it just crashes and says that there's no gl context! help pls :P

Yes, it's right, there's no gl context!

And also your code will crash on server (unless you are registering event in client proxy).

How mc runs (Minecraft.runTick()):

-Update key bindings an mouse

-Draw screen

-Update world

Where Draw screen includes:

-Create gl context

-Render world (if present)

-Render game overlay (hotbar, hunger bar...)

-Render current gui

-Remove gl context

So, you're drawing in Update world part, where gl context is not present!

So, you must do it in one of place where gl context is present.

I do believe this is why particles were invented.

Apparently I'm a complete and utter jerk and come to this forum just like to make fun of people, be confrontational, and make your personal life miserable.  If you think this is the case, JUST REPORT ME.  Otherwise you're just going to get reported when you reply to my posts and point it out, because odds are, I was trying to be nice.

Exception: If you do not understand Java, I WILL NOT HELP YOU and your thread will get locked.

DO NOT PM ME WITH PROBLEMS. No help will be given.

I do believe this is why particles were invented.

I feel like such a dumbass right now. I had literally thought of every render event besides particles...

Thank you Draco. What's the method for drawing particles? (I could view the code on eclipse but my computer isn't with me for the next few days, so yeah)

Particles are weird.  You need a whole class for them.

http://jabelarminecraft.blogspot.com/p/minecraft-forge-1721710-modding-tips.html

Apparently I'm a complete and utter jerk and come to this forum just like to make fun of people, be confrontational, and make your personal life miserable.  If you think this is the case, JUST REPORT ME.  Otherwise you're just going to get reported when you reply to my posts and point it out, because odds are, I was trying to be nice.

Exception: If you do not understand Java, I WILL NOT HELP YOU and your thread will get locked.

DO NOT PM ME WITH PROBLEMS. No help will be given.

Draco, but I want this all to be client side and not server side. I was looking over that tutorial and it looks that particle spawning is server side. I want it just to render for the player. What I'm making is a generic pvp hud and therefore I'm not working with the server here ;-; just displaying client info and rendering stuff based on events

render a texture on the screen every time you hit a zombie

I don't see how it this a particle, only thing I can think of that you want to make particles of damage done to zombie.

Anyway - NO, particles are client side and can be client-only.

As to why you were thinking they are server sided: Most of partcile spawtning is dictated by server, but its server->packet->client(spawn).

1.7.10 is no longer supported by forge, you are on your own.

You need to read what they said.

Particle spawning is on client side. 

If you want just your current player to see it, then just spawn the particle from the client when hitting the zombie.

If you want all players to see it, do the above, send a packet to the server with the particle info, then on server, distribute to all clients.

Long time Bukkit & Forge Programmer

Happy to try and help