[SOLVED][1.8] Any reason ISmartBlockModel#handleBlockState might not be called?

coolAlias

EDIT: Somehow caused by using TGG's camera tool.

I have an ISmartBlockModel implementation that was working fine earlier (the most frustrating part, and I stupidly was not using git during my update process) to render a block based on its extended state.

After adding many other things mostly unrelated to blocks, I added TGG's camera transform helper to get some item json files up to snuff, when suddenly my game crashed. NullPointerException retrieving my block's quads from the model because I have it do just that in the model class:

public class MyCustomBlockRenderer implements ISmartBlockModel {
// other code
@Override
public IBakedModel handleBlockState(IBlockState state) {
        System.out.println("I used to print, but now I don't!  ");
        return defaultModel; // model swapped in from ModelBakeEvent
}

@Override
public List getFaceQuads(EnumFacing face) {
return null;
}
}

That's what I don't understand - if my ISmartBlockModel class is getting called for 'getFaceQuads', which it is because I can return valid quads from there and the block renders, just not dynamically, then why is the check to see if it is an ISmartBlockModel failing:

// In BlockRendererDispatcher#getModelFromBlockState:
if(ibakedmodel instanceof net.minecraftforge.client.model.ISmartBlockModel) // <------ HERE is failing for my block model
{
   IBlockState extendedState = block.getExtendedState(p_175022_1_, p_175022_2_, p_175022_3_);
   ibakedmodel = ((net.minecraftforge.client.model.ISmartBlockModel)ibakedmodel).handleBlockState(extendedState);
}

When I swap the baked model during ModelBakeEvent, my custom class instance is correctly identified as an ISmartBlockModel.

To sum it up: it was working just fine previously, but I have obviously changed something somewhere that makes the baked model think it's not smart anymore even though the other methods in the class are being called; any ideas what it could be?

This is really frustrating - I copied the code for these blocks into a blank workspace, as well as all the surrounding code for handling the rendering registration and such, and it works perfectly fine... yet I can't seem to get the original code to work again >.<

Surely it is something different between the two sets of code, likely in one of the parts I removed so I didn't have to import everything. Guess it's time to run some diffs.

EDIT: Holy balls, it was TGG's mod f-ing everything up somehow. As soon as I removed that, everything started working perfectly again. Can't believe I wasted so many hours on something that should have been the obvious difference between when it was last working and not.

@TGG - I'm not sure how your camera code is messing with things, but you may want to check into that. Otherwise, it's a very handy tool (and still is, but sweet Jesus that caused me to waste a lot of time).

@TGG - I'm not sure how your camera code is messing with things, but you may want to check into that. Otherwise, it's a very handy tool (and still is, but sweet Jesus that caused me to waste a lot of time).

Hmmm that's not good, sorry dude!

The Camera Transform replaces the IBakedModels with a wrapped version but it doesn't implement ISmartBlockModel (only ISmartItemModel) so Forge's instanceof ISmartBlockModel fails.

I'll update it... perhaps add a warning too...

-TGG

Hmmm that's not good, sorry dude!

The Camera Transform replaces the IBakedModels with a wrapped version but it doesn't implement ISmartBlockModel (only ISmartItemModel) so Forge's instanceof ISmartBlockModel fails.

I'll update it... perhaps add a warning too...

-TGG

I was wondering where that IFlexibleBakedModel.Wrapper was coming from. Looking forward to the update, as it really is a very handy tool - it beats loading up Minecraft dozens of times per item just to check if the rotation looks okay.

Fixed+updated now.  Try it out for me? (Planet Minecraft http://www.planetminecraft.com/mod/item-transform-helper---interactively-rotate-scale-translate/)

Sorry again for the head damage.  Ironically it was a regression which caused several of the MBE examples to break as well.

BTW IFlexibleBakedModel.Wrapper isn't mine, that's Forge at work.

-TGG