Custom configuration screen review

portablejim

Given a recent discussion in github, I was wanting some input into the configuration system (including config screen) I use for VeinMiner.

1) The configuration screen

The main screen

UZ98UlZ.png

"Enable Veinminer": Cycles between different options

"Range" and "Blocklimit": Slider with a logarithmic* scale with the range 1-1000 blocks.

"Range" and "Blocklimit": Slider with a logarithmic* scale and the end displays "Infinite".

The tool is selectable and the tool list and block list for each tool can be gotten to.

* It changes more per pixel the greater the number.

The tool list

SJ1AS3u.png

ASYNGbd.png

A list of tools. Typing in the box will show the icon to the left of the box when you type a matching name. "Delete from list" acts on the currently selected item of the list.

The block list

9sgxfAG.png

Similiar to the tool list.

2) Configuration files

I have 2 configuration files. The first one uses the standard configuration class.

# Configuration file

##########################################################################################################
# autodetect
#--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------#
# Autodetect items and blocks during game start-up.
##########################################################################################################

autodetect {
    # Autodetect blocks with the below prefixes in the ore dictionary, adding the names to the axe list. [default: true]
    B:autodetect.blocks.axe.enable=true

# List of prefixes to autodetect as blocks to be used with a axe.
    # Separate with ',' [default: 'log,treeLeaves'] 
    S:autodetect.blocks.axe.prefixes=log,treeLeaves

# Autodetect blocks with the below prefixes in the ore dictionary, adding the names to the hoe list. [default: false]
    B:autodetect.blocks.hoe.enable=false

# List of prefixes to autodetect as blocks to be used with a hoe.
    # Separate with ',' [default: ''] 
    S:autodetect.blocks.hoe.prefixes=

# Autodetect blocks with the below prefixes in the ore dictionary, adding the names to the pickaxe list. [default: true]
    B:autodetect.blocks.pickaxe.enable=true

# List of prefixes to autodetect as blocks to be used with a pickaxe.
    # Separate with ',' [default: 'ore'] 
    S:autodetect.blocks.pickaxe.prefixes=ore

# Autodetect blocks with the below prefixes in the ore dictionary, adding the names to the shears list. [default: true]
    B:autodetect.blocks.shears.enable=true

# List of prefixes to autodetect as blocks to be used with a shears.
    # Separate with ',' [default: 'treeLeaves'] 
    S:autodetect.blocks.shears.prefixes=treeLeaves

# Autodetect blocks with the below prefixes in the ore dictionary, adding the names to the shovel list. [default: false]
    B:autodetect.blocks.shovel.enable=false

# List of prefixes to autodetect as blocks to be used with a shovel.
    # Separate with ',' [default: ''] 
    S:autodetect.blocks.shovel.prefixes=

# Autodetect tools on starting the game, adding the names to the list.
    B:autodetect.tools.enable=true
}

# client
#--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------#
# These settings are used client side, so they have no impact on servers.

client {
    # What mode should the client use when joining a game.
    # Valid modes: [default: pressed]
    #   'disabled' = don't enable, even when keybind pressed
    #   'pressed' = enables when keybind is pressed
    #   'released' = enables when keybind is released
    #   'sneak' = enables when sneaking (ignores keybind)
    #   'no_sneak' = enables when not sneaking (ignores keybind)
    S:client.preferredMode=pressed
}

limit {
    # Limit of blocks to be destroyed at once. Use -1 for infinite. [range: -1 to 2147483647, default: 800]
    I:limit.blocks=-1

# Maximum number of blocks to be removed per game tick (1/20 seconds). Using a low number will keep the game from getting huge performance drops but also decreases the speed at which blocks are destroyed. [range: 1 ~ 1000, default: 10]
    I:limit.blocksPerTick=10

# Maximum distance from the first block to search for blocks to destroy. [range: -1 to 1000, default: 20]
    I:limit.radius=545
}

misc {
    # Block IDs (with metadata) to consider equivalent.
    # Names are formatted like 'modName:block_name/metadata'. Separate names (with metadata) with ','. Use 'minecraft' as the mod name for vanilla blocks.
    # [default: 'minecraft:redstone_ore=minecraft:lit_redstone_ore']
    S:equalBlocks=minecraft:lit_redstone_ore=minecraft:redstone_ore
}

overrides {
    # Mine all blocks with all registered tools that can harvest blocks.
    B:override.allBlocks=false

# Allow all tools, including the open hand, to be used to mine blocks.
    B:override.allTools=false
}

The second uses JSON to configure the tools. Custom values for the tools can be used (e.g. for new tool groups added by other mods).

{
  "tools": {
    "axe": {
      "name": "Axe",
      "icon": "minecraft:diamond_axe",
      "toollist": [
        "minecraft:diamond_axe",
        "minecraft:golden_axe",
        "minecraft:iron_axe",
        "minecraft:stone_axe",
        "minecraft:wooden_axe"
      ],
      "blocklist": [
        "minecraft:fence",
        "minecraft:leaves",
        "minecraft:leaves2",
        "minecraft:log",
        "minecraft:log2"
      ]
    },
    "hoe": {
      "name": "Hoe",
      "icon": "minecraft:diamond_hoe",
        "minecraft:diamond_hoe",
        "minecraft:golden_hoe",
        "minecraft:iron_hoe",
        "minecraft:stone_hoe",
        "minecraft:wooden_hoe"
      ],
        "minecraft:carrots",
        "minecraft:melon_block",
        "minecraft:potatoes",
        "minecraft:pumpkin",
        "minecraft:wheat"
      ]
    },
    "pickaxe": {
      "name": "Pickaxe",
      "icon": "minecraft:diamond_pickaxe",
        "minecraft:diamond_pickaxe",
        "minecraft:golden_pickaxe",
        "minecraft:iron_pickaxe",
        "minecraft:stone_pickaxe",
        "minecraft:wooden_pickaxe"
      ],
        "minecraft:coal_ore",
        "minecraft:cobblestone_wall",
        "minecraft:diamond_ore",
        "minecraft:emerald_ore",
        "minecraft:glowstone",
        "minecraft:gold_ore",
        "minecraft:iron_ore",
        "minecraft:lapis_ore",
        "minecraft:lit_redstone_ore",
        "minecraft:mossy_cobblestone",
        "minecraft:nether_brick_fence",
        "minecraft:obsidian",
        "minecraft:quartz_ore",
        "minecraft:redstone_ore"
      ]
    },
    "shears": {
      "name": "Shears",
      "icon": "minecraft:shears",
        "minecraft:shears"
      ],
        "minecraft:deadbush",
        "minecraft:leaves",
        "minecraft:leaves2",
        "minecraft:tallgrass",
        "minecraft:vine",
        "minecraft:web",
        "minecraft:wool"
      ]
    },
    "shovel": {
      "name": "Shovel",
      "icon": "minecraft:diamond_shovel",
        "minecraft:diamond_shovel",
        "minecraft:golden_shovel",
        "minecraft:iron_shovel",
        "minecraft:stone_shovel",
        "minecraft:wooden_shovel"
      ],
        "minecraft:clay",
        "minecraft:gravel"
      ]
    }
  }
}

I know I am using a custom configuration GUI.

• Is this GUI intuitive?
  • For these options, can the forge config GUI be as intuitive (or more intuitive)?
  • I am using separate config files for data of different structures. Is this good? Should it be 1 config file?
  • Is there a better way to do this?

I think a custom config GUi is better than the built-in one, so long as you're willing to put in the time to make a good one. However the built-in one is convenient because it auto-formats based changes in the Configuration -- in other words you don't have to change code of the GUI when you change the Configuration. However, you also don't have control over things like the order, and generally it looks boring.

I do use the built-in one though -- here is my tutorial on doing that: http://jabelarminecraft.blogspot.com/p/minecraft-modding-configuration-guis.html

Check out my tutorials here: http://jabelarminecraft.blogspot.com/