interfacing with arduino in mod.

tuskiomi

Hello, all. I want to make a mod that ties up a real arduino and minecraft redstone in a virtual world.

I've been doing research and what most people reccomend is the RXTX library, the most useful page on that is found here.

however this requires you install a .dll file, and this is viewed as very shady no matter where you are.

Is there an alternative? Maybe a way to send raw serial data through the port? I've been studying assembly languages, so that option may not be bad. If possible, i'd like a library that is made for arduino.

thanks in advance, it means a TON.

-Tusk

Also, I should have you know that you are reading my signature.

I don't think there is a way to get around using a .dll.

But you can, instead of installing it, put in in the same folder as your mod (Or any other folder) and specify the folder using

System.setProperty( "java.library.path", "/path/to/libs" );

Field fieldSysPath = ClassLoader.class.getDeclaredField( "sys_paths" );
fieldSysPath.setAccessible( true );
fieldSysPath.set( null, null );

(Source: http://blog.cedarsoft.com/2010/11/setting-java-library-path-programmatically/)

(Normally you have to specify the path before starting the program as a jvm argument, but this hack can change it afterwards)

Also you might get better answers in an arduino forum, than in a minecraft modding forum ;)

Thanks, i'm going to read up on this. Any clue how long it would take to unpack a 23Mb .dll file on a standard 7200 rpm hdd? My guess is 5 seconds max. The library itself is less than 23Mb, but i want an upper limit.

That is something to keep in mind.

i am, just going to be using to be supporting the uno, and other, common devices.

like I said, i want this to be in a normal dev enviroment.

• 3 weeks later...