Using a Mod Folder from a USB

Mikethecoder4

My problem is, when moving a forge folder from a USB to a computer, and opening in eclipse, I get a missing.project for Minecraft error and all the code/assets of the Mod are unavailable. A little backstory as my problem is a but unique:

So at my job we teach kids how to mod. Each kid, when wanting to mod, creates a mod folder using the normal process with gradlew (that we automatefor them with a java program I created) That all works fine. However, the kids arent guarenteed to be able to use the same computer each visit, so They put their mods on a flash drive.

Now what happens when they try to simply copy this folder to the desktop of whatever computer they are using is a workspace that doesnt work because, apparently, the workspace from their flash drive is missing a .project file for Minecraft. I have tried taking the steps detailed here: https://github.com/MinecraftForge/ForgeGradle/issues/27 to no avail.

Although interestingly, I did get around this problem by creating an applescript program that essentially just runs the gradlew setupDecompWorkspace and then gradlew eclipse commands through terminal automatically, and this worked for a while but stopped working a few weeks ago. I still cant even manually type the commands through terminal either, as the workspace still has the "Missing .project folder for Minecraft" error.

What I have to end up doing is creating a whole new forge project folder, and simply copy/pasting their src folder into this one so its basically the same mod they can continue working on. This solution is ok for a temporary solution, but is annoying and time consuming, and would love to be able to not have to do this for each kid. A bit of information on the environment we are using:

We use only Mac books for the kids, which is running OSX yosemite ( 10.10.1) with Java of course installed and working. We are using forge for 1.7.10, FML version 7.10.18.1180 MCP version 9.05 (I think these are a little out of date, but upgrading to new versions of forge is quite a hassle since we use a custom made Java program to handle the terminal commands and give the kids a much more robust starter mod that has many classes to help them, so I would rather avoid a solution that involves having to upgrade to the very newest version of forge for 1.7.10)

I'm wondering if people have run across a similar issue, basically trying to use a forge folder from a USB, and the steps to take to making this workspace work without having to create a whole new workspace and pasting the src folder into it.

Sorry for the long text, and sorry if this questions been asked before. tried searching and didnt come up with anything.

Thanks for any and all responses, and please let me know if you need any more information

I think you can just run the

gradlew

commands in the usb drive itself, and whn opening Eclipse, point it to the directory on the flash drive instead of on the main computer.

Don't PM me with questions. They will be ignored! Make a thread on the appropriate board for support.

1.12 -> 1.13 primer by williewillus.

1.7.10 and older versions of Minecraft are no longer supported due to it's age! Update to the latest version for support.

http://www.howoldisminecraft1710.today/

Hey guys, thanks for the responses

I think you can just run the

gradlew

commands in the usb drive itself, and whn opening Eclipse, point it to the directory on the flash drive instead of on the main computer.

Yes I have tried this. While I can run the commands from the USB and run the actual workspace from it, it usually ends up preforming poorly and taking a long time to build. Also some of the kids dont have their own USBs, so they borrow mine, so I can't have just 1 kid using my USB since I need it for other kids/things. Also, the way to automated Gradlew app we use works is the documents folder is pretty much hard coded in, so this would also add other complications. However, I will try this probably tomorrow and see if manually building the app on a flash drive is workable for some of the kids. Thanks for the advice!

The problem is that the workspace is dependent on the gradle cache. So when you move the workspace (even on the same computer) you have to run gradlew setupDecompWorkpace eclipse again. There is no way around that.

If you are using this to teach kids (which is a horrible idea, but that's just my opinion), teach them things properly. Show them how to use Git and make a git repo for their mod. Then they can set up a workspace for working on their mod from wherever the hell they want, as long as it has internet access.

Just as I thought. However, my problem is that recently, when I have been running the gradlew setupDecompWorkspace eclipse command, I'm still getting the same "Missing .project for Minecraft" error. I used to do this as a solution, but it seems to have stopped working. That point may have been unclear in my original post.

As far as Git goes, that isn't really possible for us. For one, we teach classes called workshops, which are usually about an hour long and teach some programming concept via Minecraft mods (like what inheritance is by making a custom block for example), so just logistically, having to have kids create/use a Git repo is too much of a burden for a single workshop. Also, not every kid has an email address, and we can't help them make one (parent/privacy issue). And honestly, its much too complicated a solution to fix the problem im having, as Git repos would add more of a headache for us than simply doing the temporary solution I've been using.

However, I may pursue Git hub for some of the more advanced/older kids. Maybe turn it into a workshop or something. Thanks for the idea.

So anyways, just to make it clear, I have been trying to run the gradlew setupDecompWorkspace eclipse command to fix my forge projects, but this has not been working.

The problem is that the workspace is dependent on the gradle cache. So when you move the workspace (even on the same computer) you have to run gradlew setupDecompWorkpace eclipse again. There is no way around that.

I totally forgot that...

Don't PM me with questions. They will be ignored! Make a thread on the appropriate board for support.

1.12 -> 1.13 primer by williewillus.

1.7.10 and older versions of Minecraft are no longer supported due to it's age! Update to the latest version for support.

http://www.howoldisminecraft1710.today/