Some major new hooks for Inficraft II

oliverrook

Ok, so I've recently started back up work on my "Great work" of a mod, Inficraft II: Modular Infinity. It's a mod where the player can literally take any block in the game, and give it pretty much any property he/she/it wants.

Basically, think Carpenter's Blocks, but strapped to Tinker's Construct, inside Thaumcraft's Lair, with Natura trying to sneak by EE3 to untie Tinker's Construct, while an Greg Tech Nuclear reactor is having a meltdown, on Galactic Craft's Moon, and you'll have the amount of possibilities with this mod when it comes to customizablity. Suffice to say, I've been working on it since before Tinker's Construct came out, and was the one who took Inficraft off of mDiyo's hands so she could work on said mod.

That being said, however, there is a lot of things I need to be able to do, that forge simply can't supply with it's current hooks.

The most major of these are:

1. I need to be able set all of a block properties on the fly, including things such as hardness, texture, light level, size, shape, material type, crafting/inventory abilities, redstone conductivity, and virtually any property pertaining to a block in real time. For some of these, such as texture, light level, crafting/inventory and hardness are already implemented. However, things such as changing a block's base material, and harvest level are much more difficult to accomplish.

2. I would also like to have hooks to determine when these properties change, which would really help with determining when errors of glitches occur, as well as making it so some properties can be disabled under certain circumstances, or to certain players for multiplayer situations.

3. In addition to all this, I need a hook that allows me to create hooks to check for properties changing. This would have many uses, and would actually benefit forge as a whole. It would basically allow a mod creator to create hook functions for the unique NBT data they put in their mods, which would make it much easier for checks, as well as mod compatability, as a modder could use hooks from other mods, rather than having to go in and use an API that may or may not exist. I also need this because I wish to be able to support custom properties for my mod.

Also, I feel forge could benefit from incorporating the Colored Lights API into itself once the mod is done.

This would go into modder support, bud  ;)  because forge CAN do that.

to do this, you would make a fluid block class, and have all the properties set through the constructor.

I would reccomend looking at the qcraft source code, that would prolly be a great asset to you.

Edit qcraft source: google code

Also, I should have you know that you are reading my signature.

The simple answer to what you want is a hell no.

We're not re-writing the entire game engine to make blocks non-singletons.

That would just be crazy.

Long answer if depending on how many block states you want to take up your can in theory do whatever you want with them. You'd just be creating every permutation which can get cumbersome.

Most things you want already have location sensitive versions you could hook into but there are just some things that cant be localized due to how Minecraft's engine works.

So ya, you're not the first one to say 'I WANNA DO EVERYTHING' and programming simply doesn't work like that. It's not magic.

Your 'suggestion' is not very well thought through and is not feasible in the Minecraft engine.

I do Forge for free, however the servers to run it arn't free, so anything is appreciated.
Consider supporting the team on Patreon

Actually Lex, after looking through a bunch of vanilla minecraft code for a while, it became clear to me that minecraft itself actually supports most of what I wanted, as most of the block variables are set to public by default, meaning they can be changed at any time from any class file, so long as they are imported. In addition, I have 9 years programming experiance, and while I may not be very good at it, I do have the benefits of experiance, and through that I have learned that when you have a game's source code at your fingertips, you can potentially turn something like minecraft into something like skyrim, given enough time and dedication. You would simply have to rewrite almost everything in the sourcecode, but you could still technically use the sourcecode as a base.

Yes I could re-write Minecraft.

But i'm not going to.

Forge does not have the authority to re-write the base Minecraft engine.

If you wish to change things at that major of a level, just write your own game.

The point is, The blocks are singletons, so yes you could change the 'public variables' whenever you want, but it would affect EVERY one of the block EVERYWHERE.

But ya, feel free to do whatever you want, but please don't break the engine for every other mod that is installed with yours.

I do Forge for free, however the servers to run it arn't free, so anything is appreciated.
Consider supporting the team on Patreon