MinecraftForge Functions - Where can I read about?

American2050

Basically the whole of Minecraft is open to you.  What is your goal?

Apparently I'm a complete and utter jerk and come to this forum just like to make fun of people, be confrontational, and make your personal life miserable.  If you think this is the case, JUST REPORT ME.  Otherwise you're just going to get reported when you reply to my posts and point it out, because odds are, I was trying to be nice.

Exception: If you do not understand Java, I WILL NOT HELP YOU and your thread will get locked.

DO NOT PM ME WITH PROBLEMS. No help will be given.

Well, basically know "everything" we have available to use. Let's say I want to make a block that has to check if other specific block is above it. (Or below, or close, and so on)

I'm almost sure there is some function to check for neighbors blocks. But instead of learning all that from Tutorials, where can I look at those... Or it's just by digging around the Minecraft code?

That's all vanilla.  When a block gets an update, it's given a world object and it's location. 

world.getBlock(x, y+1, z);//block above

Apparently I'm a complete and utter jerk and come to this forum just like to make fun of people, be confrontational, and make your personal life miserable.  If you think this is the case, JUST REPORT ME.  Otherwise you're just going to get reported when you reply to my posts and point it out, because odds are, I was trying to be nice.

Exception: If you do not understand Java, I WILL NOT HELP YOU and your thread will get locked.

I think I should have done/ask this time time ago.

Is there a place where I can get information about all the functions that we have available and how to implement them?

Thanks.

Yes there is! It is a relatively new site called www.google.com. This site can answer almost any question you put into it!

Unfortunately, as you've probably already discovered, the documentation for Forge is a bit patchy and of "highly variable" quality.

There are a number of tutorial sites around which help.  The Tutorials section on this board has some good ones.

You might also find this one useful :)

http://greyminecraftcoder.blogspot.com.au/p/list-of-topics.html

and the accompanying sample project

https://github.com/TheGreyGhost/MinecraftByExample

But most of the time it comes down to trial and error, reverse-engineering the vanilla code, and good debugging skills...

-TGG

Unfortunately, as you've probably already discovered, the documentation for Forge is a bit patchy and of "highly variable" quality.

Because it's a right pain in the arse to update them.

There are javadocs available for Forge at files.minecraftforge.net, that should give you enough information.

Yes thanks Charsmud, I found the Java docs and it helps a lot, at least to know everything there is available to use (Or most I guess)

There are a number of tutorial sites around which help.  The Tutorials section on this board has some good ones.

You might also find this one useful :)

http://greyminecraftcoder.blogspot.com.au/p/list-of-topics.html

and the accompanying sample project

https://github.com/TheGreyGhost/MinecraftByExample

But most of the time it comes down to trial and error, reverse-engineering the vanilla code, and good debugging skills...

-TGG

Thanks TheGreyGhost. Yes, I saw some of the tutorials are really helpful, and yes trial and error or finding a tutorial that explain exactly what we are looking for are the best alternatives apparently.

I have done easy things mostly when doing a mod, but I'm trying to learn more to go forward more advanced stuff.

Thanks for all the answers ;)