[1.7.10] Client side vs. Server side questions.

Awesome_Spider

I've been have a few questions about server side and client side. I haven't released a mod to the public yet and I'm wondering some things about it, especially compatibility.

Question #1) Is there anything in mod coding that has to change if I want my mod to be compatible to servers? Do you have any guidelines to follow?

Question #2) What sort of processes are carried out in client side and vice versa? I don't need long list, I just need to get a general Idea. :)

Question #3) I know CommonProxy is for Server side and ClientProxy is for Client side, but does it matter what code goes in either one? I've just putting rendering code in ClientProxy.

If I made a mistake in this post I apologize. I still consider myself a bit new to modding (even though I've been doing it for a year).

I've been have a few questions about server side and client side. I haven't released a mod to the public yet and I'm wondering some things about it, especially compatibility.

Question #1) Is there anything in mod coding that has to change if I want my mod to be compatible to servers? Do you have any guidelines to follow?

Question #2) What sort of processes are carried out in client side and vice versa? I don't need long list, I just need to get a general Idea. :)

Question #3) I know CommonProxy is for Server side and ClientProxy is for Client side, but does it matter what code goes in either one? I've just putting rendering code in ClientProxy.

If I made a mistake in this post I apologize. I still consider myself a bit new to modding (even though I've been doing it for a year).

1. If you coded everything problem, there really isnt anything to do to make it compatible to servers.

2. The client side does all the presentation stuff. Rendering, music, guis, and particles are all stuff that come on the client side. Basically whatever is presented is done on the client side and the server side is all the calculating, registering, spawning, etc.

3. It does matter where the code goes. The rendering has to be in the ClientProxy because all renders happen on the client side. 

I'm back from being gone for... I think its been about a year. I'm pretty sure nobody remembers me, but hello anybody who does!

1. Well-written mod will always work on both (well-written = has proxy that will make client stuff launch on client only)

- Server handles NBT, entities, movements, ticking, updates - everything actually.

- Client has mirror of server data, e.g if you meet some player (be in visual-range), your client will receive info to construct new EntityPlayer and then will supply your client-player entity with server-player entity data. So your client actually only knows stuff that server allows it to, and everything is just a mirror. Same goes for world, mobs, other entities.

3. To simplify: CommonProxy is called always 1st, then there is check: if thread belongs to client.jar ClientProxy will be called.

E.g: (simplified)

CommonProxy#registerMyStuff()

ClientProxy#registerMyStuff() - extends CommonProxy and @Overrides CommonProxy#registerMyStuff()

If'd start Client.jar, and call proxy.registerMyStuff() the ClientProxy will be called (CommonProxy will be passed)

If'd start Dedicated_server.jar and call proxy.registerMyStuff() the CommonProxy will be called.

In case you will never @Override method that is in CommonProxy inside ClientProxy - then on both Client.jar and Dedic.jar the Common will be called (since client has no override).

1.7.10 is no longer supported by forge, you are on your own.

Question #1:

Generally if you follow Minecraft Standards, Client Code is run on client side and Server Code is run on Server side while using packets to transfer everything... They yes it should work, with minimal changes.

Question #2:

Client: Calculations and decisions that are needed for Rendering.

Server: All Logic, from moving the player to calculating 1 + 1.

Question #3:

Yes it matters a lot actually. The client will call the methods in Client Proxy and will only execute code in the CommonProxy if you call super on that method or you don't override a method in the ClientProxy.

I've just putting rendering code in ClientProxy.

Smart! :)

I require Java, both the coffee and the code :)