1.7.10 Please help me with my parallel dimension idea.

Jordor

Hey forge community.

My idea is to make a parallel dimension, but not so fast! It's not the nether or end-like cases.

Here's the way i want it to work:

- Exactly the same shape as overworld (thus, maybe same generator and seed)

- Every block is changed to one of my mod's.

-Whenever you modify the overworld, this dimension gets modified as well in the exact same way, and viceversa.

Where to begin:

- I thought maybe making another dimension and using an eventHandler to trigger the updating my custom dimension.

- Making a complete retexturing on the overworld and drop changing when some effect is made, creating the illusion of being in another dimension.

What is better? what solution makes the least impact on performace?

Tell me please what do you think!

thanks!

Making every block change in one dimension affect the other is going to be neigh impossible.

Apparently I'm a complete and utter jerk and come to this forum just like to make fun of people, be confrontational, and make your personal life miserable.  If you think this is the case, JUST REPORT ME.  Otherwise you're just going to get reported when you reply to my posts and point it out, because odds are, I was trying to be nice.

Exception: If you do not understand Java, I WILL NOT HELP YOU and your thread will get locked.

DO NOT PM ME WITH PROBLEMS. No help will be given.

Making every block change in one dimension affect the other is going to be neigh impossible.

Thank! Now i know that way is just not the adequate :P

So now it's all about making a masive texture switch, or a render filter or something. I don't actually know what to do because i don't know enough. Can you guide me towards what kind of classes i could make use of? I will explore them, no need of a super complete tutorial :)

I had the exact same idea one year ago, but after some problems with a trans dimensional CCTV system I paused the development of my mod.

I would use simething similar to the invis potion. But you also have to make sure, that the players are not show on the player list, that no running particles are spawned and and and...

Here could be your advertisement!

I had the exact same idea one year ago, but after some problems with a trans dimensional CCTV system I paused the development of my mod.

I would use simething similar to the invis potion. But you also have to make sure, that the players are not show on the player list, that no running particles are spawned and and and...

oh come on there must be a way xD

As for the particles i don't actually care. I may do a potion effect that does exactly the same as the invisibility potion but without them.

And the list, well, not a problem at all, since they are playing in the server.

So the point is: how do you tell minecraft to change all textures? loading a texture pack is just too long, making a pool with them and post-rendering might be the answer.

Who know about this?

help much appreciated!

Because making a new dimension which looks exactly the same as the overworld (block changes and all) is, as Draco18s said, going to be neigh impossible, why don't you make it so that you don't actually CHANGE dimensions, you just stay in the overworld but get some sort of debuff which lasts until you go through the portal back. The player's made invisible to other people in the "overworld", and the players in the "custom dimension" are made invisible to them. Then just use some sort of shader / renderer / thing to make the blocks look like the ones from your mod. When you mine them you can change them to be not the "overworld" ones but the "custom dimension"'s ones. That seems to me to be the only way to do it, unless you completely re-generate the custom dimension each time as a modified copy of the overworld, which I'm not sure is possible.

EDIT: Actually fully read the post, saw you were going to do this anyway :P

Maybe try replacing the vanilla grass, stone, etc with blocks from your mod which look and work the exact same way, and then do a setBlockTextureName() call on them when you go through the portal. That could be how you could go about changing textures, and quite easily :)

You're gonna have problems with textures from other mods, anyway... unless you provide a solid concept what you wanna do when you encounter other mod's blocks (which you have no idea of) I don't think brainstorming will lead to anything.

tl;dr: What is the whole idea behind the "duplicate world"?