A surprising crash

coolAlias

Crash Log

java.lang.ClassCastException: net.minecraft.client.entity.EntityClientPlayerMP cannot be cast to net.minecraft.entity.player.EntityPlayerMP
at zeldaswordskills.entity.ZSSPlayerInfo.loadProxyData(ZSSPlayerInfo.java:355)
at zeldaswordskills.handler.ZSSEntityEvents.onEntityJoinWorld(ZSSEntityEvents.java:178)
at cpw.mods.fml.common.eventhandler.ASMEventHandler_187_ZSSEntityEvents_onEntityJoinWorld_EntityJoinWorldEvent.invoke(.dynamic)
at cpw.mods.fml.common.eventhandler.ASMEventHandler.invoke(ASMEventHandler.java:54)
at cpw.mods.fml.common.eventhandler.EventBus.post(EventBus.java:138)
at net.minecraft.world.World.func_72838_d(World.java:1334)
at net.minecraft.client.multiplayer.WorldClient.func_72838_d(WorldClient.java:159)
at net.minecraft.client.Minecraft.func_71353_a(Minecraft.java:2220)
at net.minecraft.client.Minecraft.func_71403_a(Minecraft.java:2135)
at net.minecraft.client.network.NetHandlerPlayClient.func_147282_a(NetHandlerPlayClient.java:239)
at com.mumfrey.liteloader.client.PacketEventsClient.handlePacket(PacketEventsClient.java:106)
at com.mumfrey.liteloader.core.PacketEvents.handlePacketEvent(PacketEvents.java:179)
at com.mumfrey.liteloader.core.PacketEvents.handlePacket(PacketEvents.java:134)
at com.mumfrey.liteloader.core.PacketEvents.handlePacket(PacketEvents.java:129)
at com.mumfrey.liteloader.core.event.EventProxy.$event00032(EventProxy.java:261)
at net.minecraft.network.play.server.S01PacketJoinGame.func_148833_a(SourceFile)
at net.minecraft.network.NetworkManager.func_74428_b(NetworkManager.java:212)
at net.minecraft.client.Minecraft.func_71407_l(Minecraft.java:2050)
at net.minecraft.client.Minecraft.func_71411_J(Minecraft.java:962)
at net.minecraft.client.Minecraft.func_99999_d(Minecraft.java:887)
at net.minecraft.client.main.Main.main(SourceFile:148)
at sun.reflect.NativeMethodAccessorImpl.invoke0(Native Method)
at sun.reflect.NativeMethodAccessorImpl.invoke(Unknown Source)
at sun.reflect.DelegatingMethodAccessorImpl.invoke(Unknown Source)
at java.lang.reflect.Method.invoke(Unknown Source)
at net.minecraft.launchwrapper.Launch.launch(Launch.java:135)
at net.minecraft.launchwrapper.Launch.main(Launch.java:28)

A detailed walkthrough of the error, its code path and all known details is as follows:
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

-- Head --
Stacktrace:
at zeldaswordskills.entity.ZSSPlayerInfo.loadProxyData(ZSSPlayerInfo.java:355)
at zeldaswordskills.handler.ZSSEntityEvents.onEntityJoinWorld(ZSSEntityEvents.java:178)
at cpw.mods.fml.common.eventhandler.ASMEventHandler_187_ZSSEntityEvents_onEntityJoinWorld_EntityJoinWorldEvent.invoke(.dynamic)
at cpw.mods.fml.common.eventhandler.ASMEventHandler.invoke(ASMEventHandler.java:54)
at cpw.mods.fml.common.eventhandler.EventBus.post(EventBus.java:138)
at net.minecraft.world.World.func_72838_d(World.java:1334)
at net.minecraft.client.multiplayer.WorldClient.func_72838_d(WorldClient.java:159)
at net.minecraft.client.Minecraft.func_71353_a(Minecraft.java:2220)
at net.minecraft.client.Minecraft.func_71403_a(Minecraft.java:2135)
at net.minecraft.client.network.NetHandlerPlayClient.func_147282_a(NetHandlerPlayClient.java:239)
at com.mumfrey.liteloader.client.PacketEventsClient.handlePacket(PacketEventsClient.java:106)
at com.mumfrey.liteloader.core.PacketEvents.handlePacketEvent(PacketEvents.java:179)
at com.mumfrey.liteloader.core.PacketEvents.handlePacket(PacketEvents.java:134)
at com.mumfrey.liteloader.core.PacketEvents.handlePacket(PacketEvents.java:129)
at com.mumfrey.liteloader.core.event.EventProxy.$event00032(EventProxy.java:261)
at net.minecraft.network.play.server.S01PacketJoinGame.func_148833_a(SourceFile)
at net.minecraft.network.NetworkManager.func_74428_b(NetworkManager.java:212)

This is the old code involved in this particular crash.

// this has since been updated to use PlayerEvent.Clone instead of the clunky proxy method
public static final void loadProxyData(EntityPlayer player) {
ZSSPlayerInfo info = ZSSPlayerInfo.get(player);
NBTTagCompound tag = CommonProxy.getEntityData(getSaveKey(player));
if (tag != null) { info.loadNBTData(tag); }
info.playerSkills.validateSkills();

// This line crashing:
PacketDispatcher.sendTo(new SyncPlayerInfoPacket(info), (EntityPlayerMP) player);
}

// event handler
@SubscribeEvent
public void onEntityJoinWorld(EntityJoinWorldEvent event) {
if (!event.entity.worldObj.isRemote) {
if (event.entity instanceof EntityPlayer) {
ZSSPlayerInfo.loadProxyData((EntityPlayer) event.entity);
}
}
}

So of course it's obvious I can check for instanceof EntityPlayerMP before sending the packets, case closed, but the bit I don't understand is I have always worked under the impression that checking if world is not remote implies that EntityPlayer IS an instance of EntityPlayerMP, and that assumption has never before been challenged.

Interesting point number two, this crash evidently only happens when Treecapitator is loading alongside, and judging by the various 'com.mumfrey.liteloader' lines in the crashlog, it seems reasonable to me that perhaps mumfrey's liteloader is partly or wholly responsible - either that, or I have completely misunderstood a lot more than I imagined (always a possibility :P ).

My question, then, is how could I possibly have an instance of EntityClientPlayerMP when the world is not remote?

try to change your import for the EntityPlayerMP from net.minecraft.entity.player.EntityPlayerMP to net.minecraft.client.entity.EntityClientPlayerMP

what?

@coolAlias

I can't explain this behavior either. Did you try to reproduce this crash with only LiteLoader?

Either way, I doubt it's a Forge issue, unless you can reproduce this with only Forge.

But when casting something to a subclass, always assume the class is something different, so always check if it's the class you want to cast to before the actual casting.

Don't ask for support per PM! They'll get ignored! | If a post helped you, click the "Thank You" button at the top right corner of said post! |

mah twitter

This thread makes me sad because people just post copy-paste-ready code when it's obvious that the OP has little to no programming experience. This is not how learning works.

@SanAndreasP Yes, that's what I've done. I suspect that liteloader is doing something fishy, but I haven't downloaded it yet to try it myself. My mod has had almost an entire year with that particular code in place and this is the first crash report I've received that has just totally perplexed me as to the cause, since it seems to be completely unrelated to what my mod is doing (though it must be, I suppose).

Anyway, I've solved the immediate issue by changing my instanceof checks to EntityPlayerMP instead of just EntityPlayer, though I am still curious as to how that became necessary in this case.