Item Render

calclavia

How would I create a custom Item Renderer? I've looked for tutorials and no one seems to have done it before...

My tile entity is basically shaped exactly like a block. The reason why I am using a custom render is because the textures will change without the metadata or the block changing (hence it will update the texture). More about this here: http://minecraftforge.net/forum/index.php/topic,244.msg1589.html

How can I render the item to be just like a normal block instead of becoming a flat piece of texture when I set the renderType in the block to -1?

I see that the enchantment table seems to have created their item texture file based on the enchantment table block. How do they do this?

.... There are plunty of tutorials for this crap out there, Go look at ModLoader.getNextBlockModelID

I looked at ModLoader.getUniqueBlockModelID. I am not sure how I can assign my block renderer to render that specific block. Also I did a bunch of searching about this topic on Google and there doesn't seem to be tutorial that is really relevent. It would be great if you could provide me with a link to one.

Sorry if the questions are very noob to you. I am not an experienced modder afterall.

This is the closest thing I found: http://www.minecraftforum.net/topic/946596-modloader-using-a-custom-2d-texture-for-a-customly-rendered-block/

Is the renderInvBlock function supposed to be in the BaseMod/NetworkMod?

Right. I still can not render the item properly. The problem is I don't know how to bind a texture to an item render. I have a 3D model. It has a unique texture file for it. I can call the model render function from Base Mod's "renderInvBlock" function. The problem is I do not know how to specify a texture to the specific model to be rendered...

Also, I can not use the function getTextureFile from forge because my texture file depends on the metadata and getTextureFile seems to not be metadata sensitive. Help would be appreciated.

Though forge had something for this. Saw this in the player render class might lead you too something.

179  IItemRenderer customRenderer = MinecraftForgeClient.getItemRenderer(var3, EQUIPPED);

I am currently trying that approach. But I still don't know where I can set the texture for that render...

I got this so far...

missileitemglitch.png

It's kinda funny that the missile launcher is big, I will fix that soon. But the problem here is that my different missile launchers have different texture files and they all use the same block...