[1.5.1] Sorcery Beta 1.0

vroominator

width=400 height=240

Logo-big.png?height=240&width=400 [/img]

Sorcery is a magic mod that adds a spell casting system, a whole heap of useful spells, and many other fun magical toys.

Head over to the

downloads page for downloads and resources.

If you want more information, please visit the

Wiki

NEWS

You guys here at the Minecraft Forge Forums are getting early access to Sorcery while I prepare the official Wiki. Please feel free to mess around with the mod and report any bugs you find to me via PM here at the Forge Forums. I will get around to editing the Wiki soon.

CHANGELOG

Beta 1.0
-Initial Release

NEXT VERSION

-Desks for proper manipulation of spellbooks and spell pages
-A new batch of combat oriented spells
-Broomsticks
-Better Unicorns (They'll be more like 1.6's horses)
-Bug Fixes
-Magic Amour

• 2 weeks later...

Yeah, I can't wait for Arcanacraft either. I loved TC2.

Sorry I'm taking such a long time on getting an early version out, I've been so busy with school and stuff. I've decided that I'm going to release an early version whether I've got spell-casting done or not by early November, so keep an eye out!

• 2 weeks later...

Sorry about this, but I'm deciding to pause development for a little while, simply because I have a lot of school work happening at the moment and I need to focus on it as much as I can. I'm hoping to resume development mid to late November. :(

If you guys want me to release what I've currently got done, just ask. Everything I wanted to have done for the public beta except spellcasting (ironic, seeing as it's all this mod started out as) is usable, so I might let you guys have a peak.

• 5 weeks later...

I've been getting some work done, not as much as I would like though. I haven't released an early version like I said I would because I feel like I don't have enough done. A lot of functionality is there, there's just no real goal to work towards yet. Spell Casting isn't done yet, but once I have the system working and a decent amount of spells, I'll definitely release something.

I still need to properly finish these things before Sorcery will actually be useful in Survival mode.

-Spell Casting

-A proper way to obtain moulds for use in the Forge

-A proper way to obtain orbs for use in the Runic Infuser

-A proper way to obtain Magic Essence to fuel machines like the Runic Infuser

-Ore Dictionary support for the Forge and Tinkering Table

Would you prefer I release an early version as soon as I finish Spell Casting so that you can mess around with stuff in Creative mode or wait until all the things listed above are fit and ready for Survival mode?

• 3 weeks later...

I've been a busy, busy bee. I spent the week up the coast without Internet access, and in my spare time, I've gotten a LOT done.

Some stuff to check off the list:

Spell Casting and Spell selection is done.

Here's a preview of the Spellbook GUI. Spell icon artwork is not final C:

The buttons on the left are for switching through Spellbooks you have in your inventory, and the Up, Down, Left, and Right buttons are for binding spells to keys, for quick switching without a Spellbook.

Here's the new Runic Infuser GUI.

This thing runs off Magic Essence, which is made at the next new machine.

The Mixer!

I've fallen in love with the Forge Liquid system, and I needed a good way to get Magic Essence, so I figured I'd do this.

It mixes the items in the middle four slots with the liquid in the first tank to create a new liquid. So far It only has 1 recipe, but it's pretty easy to add recipes to, so other modders can take advantage of it if they'd like.

I've also added Ore Dictionary support to The Forge, Mixer, and Tinkering table, at long last. Not much to go now until I release something. I want to add a proper way to Get Orbs to use at the Infuser and a proper way to get Moulds to use in the forge, a way to store liquids (I can't just give the player all this neat stuff to do with liquids without a proper way of storing it, now can I?), plus an NEI addon to show my recipes before I release anything. Also, more spells. I've added a few spells, but I want a decent amount before I release.

Get excited! It's coming soon!

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Hello! I have created a Minecraft Forge account just to reply to this post!  :) I'm SUPER excited about this project! I have already planned out a Youtube series based around this mod! I was just wondering when you plan on releasing the actual download? I see the last update to this page was in December and you said only a few more weeks before you plan on releasing what you have finished on this project. Does that mean you are almost finished? Anyway, great work so far! I'm Super excited to hear back from you!

Thanks,

SorceXteej

(:

Glad to hear you're excited! I'm actually quite close to what I consider is good enough for a release, but I'd just like to make sure that I've squashed as many bugs as possible and got enough content to keep people interested. I'm currently neck-deep in schoolwork, but holidays start in 3 weeks and I do really want to get a release out there to get people's opinions and suggestions.

Also, new video :D

[embed=425,349]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tnAJN7qw3cs[/embed]

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for the quick update!!! (:

A few more questions about your mod...

Does it require other mods to be able to craft all the items in your mod for survival? I was planning on my series being based around one mod to keep it as simple as possible but, I'm willing to negotiate! (: Also, do you have a release date in mind? I'm trying to get a schedule planned out for my videos for the next few months so an estimate would sure be appreciated!(:

Thanks,

SorceXteej

You won't need any other mods to use sorcery, just Forge, although I do very much recommend using NEI. I've got an NEI plugin done so you'll be able to view Forge, Mixer, Infuser, and Tinkering recipes using NEI, which is very helpful. And as for a release date, I haven't really given it much thought. School holidays begin on the 29th of March, and I still need to update to 1.5, that might take me a while, as I've got to change a lot of stuff, mostly regarding textures, and I'll need to sweep through and squash any new bugs, so let's say anywhere from April 5th to April 15th (No guarantees :D). Sound good? I want to make sure everything is working perfectly.

One more thing, you said you're planning on keeping your series based around one mod. Unless you're going to spend a loooot of time casting spells and stuff, I doubt you'll be able to keep an interesting series going about just this mod. While I have added a lot of neat content, not much of it is the sort of stuff that aids your progress with vanilla stuff, like how IC2 has a macerator to double your ores, and there aren't really any cool automated machines or anything you can build just yet. Most of the content currently available is more endgame stuff and I haven't had a chance to receive feedback and properly balance everything yet. This is also going to be a beta release. I have an absolute ton of content planned for the future, which will improve not only your experience with Sorcery, but with vanilla things, and things from other mods as well. For example, I have a really neat enchantment storage and transferral system planned, as well as a new type of Buildcraft engine that runs on Magic Essence. If you want to make the most of some of the content I have planned for the future, I recommend playing with at least some other mods.

• 4 weeks later...

Righto. Everything's updated to 1.5.1 and is working. I've got some nice new animated textures for certain things, and a few new features to play around with, and I'm planning the Beta for this week. I go back to school on April 15th, so I feel I need to get it out now or I never will.

Some of the more recent features include:

->Cheaty "Infinite Runestone" item only accessible from the Creative menu. Functions as an infinite amount of any item you might need to cast ANY spell. It's nice for testing.

->Spellbooks are now really cool. They no longer come with a predefined set of spells, and instead, it is up to the player to fill them with spells. I did this hoping it will make players value their spellbooks much more, instead of seeing them as easily replaceable objects. A better way to customise your spellbook is coming after the first release.

->A very basic Magic Point system to accompany the runestones. This works very much like how Magicka works in skyrim, and was implemented to prevent spell spamming, while also allowing players to be more flexible in their spellcasting. There is also a potion to regain half your MP.

umm what does the actual mod do? I cant tell what it's sopposed to be with just screenshots xD.

Is there a MCforum with more info or do you explain it all in the videos?

Communication is a vital tool, in the game industry you won't go anywhere without it. People are either going to learn to talk, or move on.

Well a lot of it is explained in the videos, but I'll try and explain a bit. I've added a wand, a spellbook, and a whole bunch of spells that do all sorts of things, such as mine ores, harvest crops, or summon lightening bolts, and I have tons more spells planned, most notably, a group of combat oriented spells which are sure to make PvP situations very interesting. I've also added some machines and lots of cool magical toys to mess around with. It's all pretty cool, and as for Minecraft Forum, that's coming soon.

Well a lot of it is explained in the videos, but I'll try and explain a bit. I've added a wand, a spellbook, and a whole bunch of spells that do all sorts of things, such as mine ores, harvest crops, or summon lightening bolts, and I have tons more spells planned, most notably, a group of combat oriented spells which are sure to make PvP situations very interesting. I've also added some machines and lots of cool magical toys to mess around with. It's all pretty cool, and as for Minecraft Forum, that's coming soon.

all right, hopefully when it's more fleshed out you cn keep up with the forum xD

Communication is a vital tool, in the game industry you won't go anywhere without it. People are either going to learn to talk, or move on.

Okay. It's out. It's finally out! Beta 1.0 of Sorcery has been released. You can grab it from the downloads page linked in the OP. More documentation is coming very soon, but until then, the NEI plugin is your friend. I highly recommend you use it, as Sorcery adds a lot of recipes and a few new machines with recipes of their own. Please report any bugs you find to me via PM here at the forge forums.

Okay. It's out. It's finally out! Beta 1.0 of Sorcery has been released. You can grab it from the downloads page linked in the OP. More documentation is coming very soon, but until then, the NEI plugin is your friend. I highly recommend you use it, as Sorcery adds a lot of recipes and a few new machines with recipes of their own. Please report any bugs you find to me via PM here at the forge forums.