[1.7.x]TileEntity/Block that can load chunks

hugo_the_dwarf

I'm making a Mod where a player can place a "Base Node" block that will let them create a base layout, and have the block build them their creation for them, as long as they have chests filled with the building materials.

I have plans for "add-on" blocks that will allow it to perform extra functions with a cost of mana stored inside vessels, mainly crystals. One of these add-on blocks will let it load a 3x3 chunk area, at the cost of mana per update. This will allow for other blocks with different functions to run at the base even when the player is away from home.

I searched for a bit and found someone mentioning using the worlds chunk provider and loading the chunk (duh) but when I tried that, the game will crash on world load.

Thanks, Hugo.

Well Looking in there didn't enlighten me, not saying I don't appreciate your suggestion it got me on the right track, and that is that chunk coords are not the same as entity/block coords (Which I suspect is why my original attempt crashed the game) so I decided to try my own way of doing it, and it works thus far.

Posting code so others that search for this can see how I did it, and go from there in their adventure.

Chunk ch = getWorldObj().getChunkFromBlockCoords(xCoord, yCoord);
			getWorldObj().getChunkProvider().loadChunk(ch.xPosition, ch.zPosition);

Is this the best way? Probably not, but it works.

Well I guess that is a problem, that could cause server lag if it does that? I do have it on a timer to load the chunk every 3 seconds (60 ticks) and I guess that explains why the tileEntity can still do its functions since it loads the chunk then does its methods.

Where can I look at the ForgeChunkManager? Which package? I am having no luck finding out how ChickenBones does it, or at least don't understand it well enough. If I can't figure out how the ForgeChunkManager does it then I'll leave it be.

From what I understand by reading through the class, you need to call ForgeChunkManager.setForcedChunkLoadingCallback(YOUR_MOD_INSTANCE, LoadingCallbackImplementation).

The LoadingCallback implementation is used to reregister the chunks that need to be loaded, from what I understand, upon the world loading (through this method):

@Override
public void ticketsLoaded(List<Ticket> tickets, World world)
{
// Rereigster the chunks to be loaded here with a list of your mods' tickets.	
}

Then you'd need to actually request a ticket using ForgeChunkManager.requestTicket(YOUR_MOD_INSTANCE, WORLD_INSTANCE, TICKET_TYPE);

This is what actually allows you to force the chunk to load.

To actually force the chunk to load you use ForgeChunkManager.forceChunk(TICKET, CHUNK);

When you're done with a chunk you use ForgeChunkManager.unforceChunk(TICKET, CHUNK-COORDS), or alternatively if you are done completely with forcing chunks you can use ForgeChunkManager.releaseTicket(TICKET);

I could be (and most likely am) wrong on some parts, but this should help you figure out the rest (I hope). c:

BEFORE ASKING FOR HELP READ THE EAQ!

I'll help if I can. Apologies if I do something obviously stupid. :D

If you don't know basic Java yet, go and follow these tutorials.