Allocating more ram

spine_iv

Appologies for posting, but Im literally at my wits end trying to find out how to allocate more ram.

I promise you I've searched, but I keep being taken to threads that dont help me or dead end themselves.

I keep being taken to threads telling me how to allocate more RAM for servers, I do not have a server.

I've searched Google, various forums, Youtube, I just guess I dont know what search term to use

I thought this would be a more common question, I guess not

I do remember finding a video on how to install Forge and this had a bit that told me exactly what to do, I can no longer find the video.

Feel my pain

So, all I want to do is allocate more ram, My laptop has 6Gb and I'd like to give minecraft/java/forge half of it.

Im playing single player, not on a server, with 27 mods updated for 1.7.10, although the splash screen says 41mods

Im using Forge version

forge-1.7.10-10.13.0.1180-installer

This is my current JVM arguments line, I didnt make this, it was already there

-Xmx1G -XX:+UseConcMarkSweepGC -XX:+CMSIncrementalMode -XX:-UseAdaptiveSizePolicy -Xmn128M

I know its somethign to do with "Xmx1G", but I see various posts saying to set Xmn/Xms to half of it or something, but I dont have a Xms bit

Ive tried changing it, but Im sure I have to also change the others, but dont know what to

Im on Windows7 64bit and have the latest 64bit Java

I hope one day its possible to do this on the mods/config screen for forge, like launchers.

Im happy to accept any amount of flaming to get an answer, I just want to play the modpack I've made without crashing to out of memory errors every hour or so.

thank you

• Like 1

Easy,

Xmx is for the max. possible ram allocateable. In your case set it to 3G (the G stands for Giga(byte), M would be Mega(byte) and so on)

Xms is the min. possible memory allocated, recommended is that you set it to the same value as your Xmx argument.

Xmn is the heap space, if you have problems with heap space, increase its value. I normally use 512M on my 8Gig PC, but AFAIK 256M should be enough.

Don't ask for support per PM! They'll get ignored! | If a post helped you, click the "Thank You" button at the top right corner of said post! |

mah twitter

This thread makes me sad because people just post copy-paste-ready code when it's obvious that the OP has little to no programming experience. This is not how learning works.

Thank you

So as I do not have a Xms in my arguments line can I just add it at the end and end up with something like this

-Xmx3G -XX:+UseConcMarkSweepGC -XX:+CMSIncrementalMode -XX:-UseAdaptiveSizePolicy -Xmn256M -Xms1536M

or

-Xmx3G -XX:+UseConcMarkSweepGC -XX:+CMSIncrementalMode -XX:-UseAdaptiveSizePolicy -Xmn256M -Xms1.5G

^Throws up an invalid heap size^

floating points are not allowed there, so you need to use a smaller unit, like in your first.

Also, as I've said previously, it is recommended to set Xms the same value as Xmx, so in your case also 3G

And what I've forgot: be careful that you don't allocate too much memory, or it'll crash Minecraft after a while!

Don't ask for support per PM! They'll get ignored! | If a post helped you, click the "Thank You" button at the top right corner of said post! |

mah twitter

This thread makes me sad because people just post copy-paste-ready code when it's obvious that the OP has little to no programming experience. This is not how learning works.