import cpw.mods.fml.common.FMLCommonHandler;
import cpw.mods.fml.common.Mod;
import cpw.mods.fml.common.SidedProxy;
import cpw.mods.fml.common.event.FMLPreInitializationEvent;
import cpw.mods.fml.common.eventhandler.SubscribeEvent;
import cpw.mods.fml.common.gameevent.PlayerEvent;
import net.minecraftforge.common.MinecraftForge;

import java.lang.String;

@Mod(modid = FrameMod.modid, version = FrameMod.version)
public class FrameMod {

public static final String modid = "FrameMod";
    public static final String version = "1.0 ALPHA";

EventHandler events = new EventHandler();

@SidedProxy(clientSide = "com.czaarek99.FrameMod.ClientProxy",serverSide = "com.czaarek99.FrameMod.ServerProxy")
    public static ServerProxy proxy;

@Mod.EventHandler
    public void PreLoad(FMLPreInitializationEvent event){
        proxy.registerRenderThings();
        FMLCommonHandler.instance().bus().register(events);
        MinecraftForge.EVENT_BUS.register(events);

}
    }

My EventHandler class:

package com.czaarek99.FrameMod;

import net.minecraftforge.event.entity.player.AttackEntityEvent;
import net.minecraftforge.event.entity.player.PlayerEvent;

/**
* Created by Czarek on 2014-08-09.
*/
public class EventHandler {
    @SubscribeEvent
    public void getName(PlayerEvent.NameFormat event) {
        if(event.username.equals("epicjellybean3")) event.displayname="swagmaster";
    }

}

My Clientproxy class:

/**
*/
public class ClientProxy extends ServerProxy  {

@Override
    public void registerRenderThings() {

}

}

My serverproxy class

/**
*/
public class ServerProxy {

public void registerRenderThings() {

}

}

(The name of the mod is FrameMod because I was first going to do something with itemframes but I changed my mind and was too lazy to change names and stuff)

Anyway, as you can see I am trying to replace someones name with something else. This does work good in singleplayer. But it does not work in Multiplayer. I am nearly certain I have to do something with the proxy to get this to work. Just how? There are tutorials on how to code these classes but not the use.

How should I go about doing this?

I just learned this proxy stuff last week, so I know just enough to be dangerous  ;)

By custom, the parent proxy is called "CommonProxy".  That's because there probably isn't anything that runs *only* on the server. Calling it CommonProxy will make it easier for the rest of us to read your code.

When Forge loads your mod, it will instantiate your proxy variable for you, using reflection to employ the client-side or server-side class that you specified. With your client-side class overriding the parent CommonProxy methods, it will do all of the "dirty work", assuring that SideOnly classes are only touched in the client.

If there's nothing bad happening in your parent's methods, then have your client methods call their supers.

Since "proxy" means "stand-in for my main mod class", you'll gain clarity if you name your proxy's methods in accordance with the methods (PreLoad, Load, PostLoad) in FrameMod. Then each of those event handlers can simply call its corresponding proxy method.

Note: In some cases (e.g. if you use reflection yourself), the mere presence of an unused import statement (of a client-only class) can blow up the server. I've seen a rule that client-only classes should only be imported into client proxies. However, runtime exception checker is usually more forgiving as long as you don't instantiate the client-only class or reflect  the importing class at runtime on the server. Just know that you'd be playing with fire.

PS: I had to do my event-listener bus-registrations in my PostInit, but I can't remember why. YMMV

The debugger is a powerful and necessary tool in any IDE, so learn how to use it. You'll be able to tell us more and get better help here if you investigate your runtime problems in the debugger before posting.

I just learned this proxy stuff last week, so I know just enough to be dangerous  ;)

By custom, the parent proxy is called "CommonProxy".  That's because there probably isn't anything that runs *only* on the server. Calling it CommonProxy will make it easier for the rest of us to read your code.

When Forge loads your mod, it will instantiate your proxy variable for you, using reflection to employ the client-side or server-side class that you specified. With your client-side class overriding the parent CommonProxy methods, it will do all of the "dirty work", assuring that SideOnly classes are only touched in the client.

If there's nothing bad happening in your parent's methods, then have your client methods call their supers.

Since "proxy" means "stand-in for my main mod class", you'll gain clarity if you name your proxy's methods in accordance with the methods (PreLoad, Load, PostLoad) in FrameMod. Then each of those event handlers can simply call its corresponding proxy method.

Note: In some cases (e.g. if you use reflection yourself), the mere presence of an unused import statement (of a client-only class) can blow up the server. I've seen a rule that client-only classes should only be imported into client proxies. However, runtime exception checker is usually more forgiving as long as you don't instantiate the client-only class or reflect  the importing class at runtime on the server. Just know that you'd be playing with fire.

PS: I had to do my event-listener bus-registrations in my PostInit, but I can't remember why. YMMV

Maybe Im retarded, but could you show me some example code of how you would do what I am trying to do? Since I still can't get it to work :/

Since I only have basic java knowledge I don't really understand all these fancy words, showing me a piece of code would make me it easier for me to understand your point and I'd learn a lot more too :)

You already have the code, but I'd suggest changing the name of your "ServerProxy" to "CommonProxy" , and rename your "registerRenderThings" to whatever event-handling method name calls it from your main mod class.

Then if possible, have each override-method in ClientProxy call the same-named method in CommonProxy like this:

@Override
public class ClientProxy extends CommonProxy {
  public void init(FMLInitializationEvent e) {
    super.init (e);

// Register client-specific stuff (e.g. renderer & packet-handler callback etc)
  }
}

The debugger is a powerful and necessary tool in any IDE, so learn how to use it. You'll be able to tell us more and get better help here if you investigate your runtime problems in the debugger before posting.

You already have the code, but I'd suggest changing the name of your "ServerProxy" to "CommonProxy" , and rename your "registerRenderThings" to whatever event-handling method name calls it from your main mod class.

Then if possible, have each override-method in ClientProxy call the same-named method in CommonProxy like this:

@Override
  public void init(FMLInitializationEvent e) {
    super.init (e);

// Register client-specific stuff (e.g. renderer & packet-handler callback etc)
  }
}

Thanks, hmm. It doesn't seem to be possible to put these guys into the registerRenderThings method though?

And if I remove it the

proxy.registerRenderThings();

Line in my main class complains? Am I not supposed to have everything in that method? Anyway, is there any way to fix this?

If you change the method name to "init" in the proxy class, then you would call proxy.init from within in your main's init method.

If that's news to you, then you need to take a timeout to get a one-quarter "Intro to Programming" course at school (or at a local Jr college). It doesn't need to be Java, but it should be at least an object-oriented language like C++. Alternatively, you might ask a programmer friend to partner with you, at least to start. Such a friend could help you to separate the programming concepts from the Minecraft and Forge concepts (and overcome them).

If you don't have some programming background on arrival here, then some folks might lose patience. As it says in the forum description, this is a Forge help forum, not a Java help forum. I'm not saying that to be snarky or mean but to give fair warning.

Incidentally, like my signature says, I arrived in mid-May with over 25 years of professional programming experience in over a dozen languages (including several O-O, but not Java), but even I found parts of the learning curve to be somewhat steep (I am still struggling to wrap my head around Java's "Reflection" even though I have already used it successfully).

A non-programmer coming into this is doomed. You have no basis by which to perceive which aspects of a tutorial are Java style and which are Forge necessity. Get your head above water: Learn the essentials of O-O programming.

What kind of stuff do you put in the proxy classes?

Any methods that need to behave differently on server versus client side, usually because they invoke Minecraft code that is "side only".

You can't just check for isRemote because the side only classes and methods aren't even loaded so the Java will fail if it sees code (even code paths that won't ever run) that contain classes that aren't loaded.

For example, renderer classes are side only.  But in many mods you need to register renderers.  In that case you might create a method called registerRenderers() and in the CommonProxy that method would not do anything, but in the ClientProxy you would @Override that class and actually register the renderers.

Again, in summary, you create two versions of methods with the client only stuff in the client version.

Check out my tutorials here: http://jabelarminecraft.blogspot.com/

Well, it may not be that you need to learn Java but rather you have to learn to understand what Eclipse is telling you.

When it "turns red" if you hover over it Eclipse should pop up with an explanation, and often suggests some fixes (but don't just accept these without understanding why).

So what errors specifically are you getting when it turns red?

The most important things (after learning Java itself) is to learn to use your IDE to help you and second to learn to look through crash logs to understand what the problem is.  With your IDE, especially when modding, you can follow code back to its declaration, you can quickly find all methods by checking type hierachy, you can understand the use of something by checking the call hierarchy, etc.  Furthermore, with some settings like updating @Override annotations and imports on save can save you a lot of typing.

Anyway, be more specific about the errors and then we can help.

I kinda shuffled everything around, trying to do what jeffrey told me to.

Main class:

/**
*/
import cpw.mods.fml.common.event.FMLInitializationEvent;

public class FrameMod {

@SidedProxy(clientSide = "com.czaarek99.FrameMod.ClientProxy")
    public static CommonProxy proxy;

@Mod.EventHandler
    public void init(FMLInitializationEvent events){
        proxy.init(events);

}
    @SubscribeEvent
        if (event.username.equals("epicjellybean3")) event.displayname = "Spy";
    }
}

CommonProxy class:

/**
* Created by Czarek on 2014-08-12.
*/
public class CommonProxy {
    @Mod.EventHandler
    }

@SubscribeEvent
    }

}

ClientProxy class:

/**
*/

@Override
        super.init(events);
    }

@Override
    public void getName(PlayerEvent.NameFormat event){
        super.getName(event);
    }
}

Oh, and there are no errors with this setup, it just doesn't work.

Although you don't have a server-only proxy, you still need to define the serverSide , so you give it the CommonProxy like so:

@SidedProxy(clientSide = "com.czaarek99.FrameMod.ClientProxy", serverSide = "com.czaarek99.FrameMod.CommonProxy");

This way, the server runs just the common proxy, and the client can run both (because the clientProxy can both execute some statements of its own and call its parent's methods using "super"). The statements in the common proxy end up running on both the client and the server. That's why it's called a common proxy -- because its actions are common to both client and server.

You probably shouldn't put any @EventHandler attributes inside your proxies. Instead, put those on the methods in your main class and have those methods call their proxy counterparts.

Finally, your client proxy shouldn't be empty. Wasn't there something you wanted to do that could only run on the client side? Those statements (and the import statements to support them) belong in the client proxy and its methods.

If they are using IntelliJ IDEA, it auto-corrects it. Or they prefer the former.

-Mitchellbrine

Minecraft can do ANYTHING, it's coded in Java and you got the full power of Java behind you when you code. So nothing is impossible.

It may be freaking fucking hard though, but still possible ;)

If you create a topic on Modder Support, live by this motto:

I don't want your charity, I want your information

If they are using IntelliJ IDEA, it auto-corrects it. Or they prefer the former.

Yea, Intelli complains if I put a normal eventhandler.

Although you don't have a server-only proxy, you still need to define the serverSide , so you give it the CommonProxy like so:

@SidedProxy(clientSide = "com.czaarek99.FrameMod.ClientProxy", serverSide = "com.czaarek99.FrameMod.CommonProxy");

This way, the server runs just the common proxy, and the client can run both (because the clientProxy can both execute some statements of its own and call its parent's methods using "super"). The statements in the common proxy end up running on both the client and the server. That's why it's called a common proxy -- because its actions are common to both client and server.

You probably shouldn't put any @EventHandler attributes inside your proxies. Instead, put those on the methods in your main class and have those methods call their proxy counterparts.

Finally, your client proxy shouldn't be empty. Wasn't there something you wanted to do that could only run on the client side? Those statements (and the import statements to support them) belong in the client proxy and its methods.

I believe I did that, but now forge errors me with this:

http://pastebin.com/cyYsGNqh

Anyway, here are my classes. I did everything you told me to.

Main:

/**
*/
import cpw.mods.fml.common.event.FMLPostInitializationEvent;

public class FrameMod {

@SidedProxy(clientSide = "com.czaarek99.FrameMod.ClientProxy", serverSide = "com.czaarek99.FrameMod.CommonProxy")

@Mod.EventHandler
        proxy.init(events);

}
    @SubscribeEvent
        ClientProxy.getName(event);
    }
}

ClientProxy:

/**
*/

@Override
        super.init(events);
    }

public static void getName(PlayerEvent.NameFormat event){
    }
}

CommonProxy:

/**
*/
public class CommonProxy {

init(events);
    }

}

I get where the error points, but why?

You might want to note: package names do not contain or start with CAPITAL letters.

Thanks... But that isn't breaking my mod. Is it?

Edit:

I tried renaming it, Intelli did nothing about it. The package still had capital letters.

And I'd really like help with the proxies.

Hi

You might find this link useful for some background (it is for 1.6.4 but the concepts are still the same)

http://greyminecraftcoder.blogspot.com.au/2013/11/how-forge-starts-up-your-code.html

Your error is caused by this

init(events);

}

the init function calls itself recursively.  i.e. it keeps calling itself in an infinite loop until it runs out of stack space.

-TGG

Hi

You might find this link useful for some background (it is for 1.6.4 but the concepts are still the same)

http://greyminecraftcoder.blogspot.com.au/2013/11/how-forge-starts-up-your-code.html

Your error is caused by this

init(events);

}

the init function calls itself recursively.  i.e. it keeps calling itself in an infinite loop until it runs out of stack space.

-TGG

That helped fixed the error, thanks.

Now it seems like I have followed ALL the guidelines you guys have told me to but it still wont work?

Here are my classes again:

Main:

http://pastebin.com/Jjczu3eZ

ClientProxy:

http://pastebin.com/ygg8uqyV

CommonProxy:

http://pastebin.com/ApdpMMse

Hi

Try following this howTo for events

http://www.minecraftforum.net/forums/archive/tutorials/931112-forge-4-x-events-howto

(Use @SubscribeEvent instead of @ForgeSubscribe)

This one is also helpful-

https://github.com/coolAlias/Forge_Tutorials/blob/master/EventHandlerTutorial.java

and

http://www.minecraftforum.net/forums/mapping-and-modding/mapping-and-modding-tutorials/1571567-1-7-2-1-6-4-eventhandler-and

You need to register your event handler on the correct bus, which you don't seem to be doing at all.

-TGG

Hi

Try following this howTo for events

http://www.minecraftforum.net/forums/archive/tutorials/931112-forge-4-x-events-howto

(Use @SubscribeEvent instead of @ForgeSubscribe)

This one is also helpful-

https://github.com/coolAlias/Forge_Tutorials/blob/master/EventHandlerTutorial.java

and

http://www.minecraftforum.net/forums/mapping-and-modding/mapping-and-modding-tutorials/1571567-1-7-2-1-6-4-eventhandler-and

You need to register your event handler on the correct bus, which you don't seem to be doing at all.

-TGG

Hmmm. There is something strange I realized. I did the changes needed.

My new classes:

Main:

http://pastie.org/private/dyrw1mqfpdckxnegaiwchw

ClientProxy:

http://pastie.org/private/npsb9ve7dj4ymjxeqcxdja

CommonProxy:

http://pastie.org/private/w7xlokqibik4jcnu6by7a

I added some debug prints in the events... And the subscribe event or for the matter any other event doesn't fire when I join multiplayer? (Obviously the init events do but the others though).

When I join singleplayer all the events fire as expected?

Okay, you're still a little confused.  This is Minecraft-specific stuff so I understand it takes a little time to wrap your head around it.  But you have several issues going on here.

First of all, your FrameMod class is your "main" class.  You shouldn't be creating any instances of it anywhere because there should only be one -- but when you registered it as the event handler you created two new instances.  Instead, for the event handler class to register you should make a separate event handler class, put all your methods in that and register that instead.

You should read my tutorial on events.  It is a bit long, but covers a lot of what you're getting wrong here: http://jabelarminecraft.blogspot.com/p/minecraft-forge-172-event-handling.html

Anyway, so basically:

1) create a class called MyEventHandler

2) change the registrations in the CommonProxy init() method to register MyEventHandler (instead of FrameMod)

3) move the getName() method (including the @SubscribeEvent) from the FrameMod class into the MyEventHandler class you just created.

4) Actually I would consider moving the getName() method out of the ClientProxy.  The NameFormat event doesn't have to be client only (or if it is the event would only fire on that side, so no problem).  You only need to put code into the ClientProxy if it *calls* code that is SideOnly for client side.

I think that might work.  At least make those changes, read my tutorial, and let's see how far you get.

Okay, you're still a little confused.  This is Minecraft-specific stuff so I understand it takes a little time to wrap your head around it.  But you have several issues going on here.

First of all, your FrameMod class is your "main" class.  You shouldn't be creating any instances of it anywhere because there should only be one -- but when you registered it as the event handler you created two new instances.  Instead, for the event handler class to register you should make a separate event handler class, put all your methods in that and register that instead.

You should read my tutorial on events.  It is a bit long, but covers a lot of what you're getting wrong here: http://jabelarminecraft.blogspot.com/p/minecraft-forge-172-event-handling.html

Anyway, so basically:

1) create a class called MyEventHandler

2) change the registrations in the CommonProxy init() method to register MyEventHandler (instead of FrameMod)

3) move the getName() method (including the @SubscribeEvent) from the FrameMod class into the MyEventHandler class you just created.

4) Actually I would consider moving the getName() method out of the ClientProxy.  The NameFormat event doesn't have to be client only (or if it is the event would only fire on that side, so no problem).  You only need to put code into the ClientProxy if it *calls* code that is SideOnly for client side.

I think that might work.  At least make those changes, read my tutorial, and let's see how far you get.

I read your tutorial, it showed pretty much the same thing as every other tutorial that I have read so far in 1. I have basically already seen all that. I did what you recommended but my events still refuse to fire in multiplayer. Is there a special way to register events in Multiplayer? Since that is what I am starting to think.

And no ones tutorial really shows how to use the events in multiplayer. I tried making a few other events. None fire in multiplayer, never?

Here are my classes once again:

/**
*/
import cpw.mods.fml.common.event.FMLPreInitializationEvent;

public class FrameMod {

@SidedProxy(clientSide = "com.czaarek99.FrameMod.ClientProxy", serverSide = "com.czaarek99.FrameMod.CommonProxy")

@Mod.EventHandler
    public void init(FMLInitializationEvent event) {
        proxy.init(event);
        System.out.print("init fired!");
    }

}

/**
*/
public class CommonProxy{
        FMLCommonHandler.instance().bus().register(new MyEventHandler());
        MinecraftForge.EVENT_BUS.register(new MyEventHandler());
        System.out.print("common init fired!");

}
}

/**
*/

@Override
        super.init(events);
        System.out.print("client init fired!");

}

}

/**
* Created by Czarek on 2014-08-14.
*/
public class MyEventHandler {

@SubscribeEvent
    public void getName(PlayerEvent.NameFormat nameEvent){
        if (nameEvent.username.equals("epicjellybean3")) {
            nameEvent.displayname = "Spy";
            System.out.print("getname client fired!");
        }

}

}

By "multiplayer" do you mean this is a client-only mod?  Like it isn't installed on the server?

If that's what you mean, then I guess I'm not sure whether this particular event is fired.  It should be though I think because the call hierarchy for the event shows that it is used in the EntityPlayer class.  This should make it available to EntityPlayerMP because that extends EntityPlayer.

EDIT] Maybe one way to figure this out is to print out what side it is firing on.  You can print out event.entityPlayer.worldObj.isRemote() and then run this in the single player case and see what it says.  If it always shows "false" then it is only firing on the server.

By "multiplayer" do you mean this is a client-only mod?  Like it isn't installed on the server?

If that's what you mean, then I guess I'm not sure whether this particular event is fired.  It should be though I think because the call hierarchy for the event shows that it is used in the EntityPlayer class.  This should make it available to EntityPlayerMP because that extends EntityPlayer.

EDIT] Maybe one way to figure this out is to print out what side it is firing on.  You can print out event.entityPlayer.worldObj.isRemote() and then run this in the single player case and see what it says.  If it always shows "false" then it is only firing on the server.

Yeah, it always prints false... So that means my mod is impossible and the server would need to have it installed?

Edit: And yeah, the server won't have the mod installed. Only the client.

I have seen hacked clients implementing friends list even without forge. Now, I'd just like to make a fancy friendslist for myself or whatever. I mean... It has to be possible. But what other event or how can I get it to fire?

Okay, I think the next step would be to intercept what the client code regarding names.  Name format is funny because it isn't really cancelable anyway but instead you just change the field value to what you want.  Like for a funny example in my event tutorial I suggested putting the following in the NameEvent to change the way names are displayed:

if (event.username == "myUserName") // put your user name in the string
{
    event.displayname = event.username+" the Great and Powerful";
}        
else if (event.username == "myFriendsUserName") // put your friend's user name in the string
{
    event.displayname = event.username+" the Wise";
}    
else if (event.username == "myGirlFriendsUserName") // put your significant other's user name in the string
{
    event.displayname = event.username+" the Beautiful";
}    
else
{
    event.displayname = event.username+" the Ugly"; // for everyone else            
}

The comments say the following about the NameFormat event:

This event is fired whenever a player's name is retrieved in

* EntityPlayer#getDisplayName() or EntityPlayer#refreshDisplayName().<br>

* <br>

* This event is fired via the {@link ForgeEventFactory#getPlayerDisplayName(EntityPlayer, String)}.<br>

* <br>

If you follow the call hierarchy, all of this just updates a field in EntityPlayer called displayName.  It is private, but you can change it with Java reflection I think.

So what if you did a ClientTickHandler and used Java reflection to inspect and modify (if necessary) the displayName field?

I think this would still be limited to Client, so if you want other users to see the effect they'd have to use the mod too probably.

If that doesn't work, I think you'd have to try to intercept the chat and the player rendering where they display names.