Player Animation API

Speaker Rob

Apologies if this has been addressed before...

Are there plans to implement a basic player animation API with public handles so that other mods could access them? With a lot of animation mods starting to become popular (e.g. Smart Moving, Animated Player, etc.) I've noticed there are many conflicts and work-a-rounds that developers are trying to implement to get mods' player models to agree with each other and stop arguing like in-laws at a Thanksgiving dinner. Usually one dev will write an API, then all the other devs that are injecting their code either don't feel like implementing another dev's API and rewriting their code, or the API is so thin that it doesn't really provide a lasting solution.

I haven't really been following the 1.7 development, so this may already be a moot suggestion. I'm just sort of closing my eyes and holding on tight through 1.7, and have resolved to only open them when I hear somebody say 1.8 is released.

• 8 months later...

Hello there. I registered here today to post almost this exact same question, thought I'd check if there was an existing topic and stumbled on this.

Sad to report that 9 months on from the opening post and there's been no real progress towards compatibility with the above mods. The developers of Smart Moving and Animated Player have both gone to some effort to make their mods compatible with custom armour models, but every mod that uses them seems to do so in a slightly different way, so I suspect they're in for a bit of an uphill struggle.

Would the Forge developers consider the suggestion of incorporating an animation API into Forge? Is it technically feasible?

Creating a "Animation API" is ambigious. The problem is Minecraft has a set level of animations they things like armor and weapons support anything expanding on that would usually require moddelers to create more animations which is just a pain.

1.8 introduced a bit more modeling into the game itself but mainly for blocks/items the next logical extension of that would be them to do player/entity models external in the future.

Perhaps if it is a more well thought out and proposed idea that those who deal with rendering and models can critique then we can assess it.  However "I want a new API!!!" is'nt productive.

I do Forge for free, however the servers to run it arn't free, so anything is appreciated.
Consider supporting the team on Patreon