Override core functionality?

Dronus86

I'm wondering if there's a way to override/remove parts of vanilla minecraft using forge.

For a more poignant example, how would I halve the amount of gold ore that spawns? Or make gold ore only spawn ABOVE y=32? Or similar things?

The only thing I can think of is to overwrite all the existing ore in each chunk and re-spawn it all according to my rules, but that seems clumsy and messy.

Well for your Gold Ore example, what I suggest you do is generate stone where there are Gold Ores and then regenerate the Gold Ores to your specifications (like 32+ Y). Although, that depends if user generated ores/blocks are called after the vanilla blocks.

That might be the clumsy and messy method you've mentioned, but its a way that can work without touching any Vanilla classes, which is always a plus.

LexManos, I am indeed a newbie to FML and somewhat to java/OOP, but I have non-java coding experience (mostly C), so I feel pretty good. Thanks for the heads up, I'll definitely look into that!

And yeah, GeoffNukem, that is what I was talking about, but thanks for the suggestion anyway!