[1.7.2-10.12.1.1082] My Tile Entities seem to be running each method twice.

navybofus

I've been writing new code for the LittleHelpers mod for a few weeks, but just recently I've added another new block with a TileEntity (like all the others). BUT, every time I try to run any method, it's running twice. I used System.out.println(); and every message appears twice. I added the delay variable that I've set and it displays two different values (the delay is random) so I believe that each method within my tile entity is running twice. This is really messing with the functionality of my blocks.

What am I doing different? Should I be using @SideOnly? I haven't had to use it so far and all other blocks work just fine. Just updated to 1082, but I only did that because the problem was happening in 1060. HALP!

@SideOnly won't do anything for you; only use it if you @Override a method that already uses it.

Instead use world.isRemote in an if statement or some-such so that you can check if the method is just running once on the client side and once on the server side.

Maybe Forge has changed, but if seriously don't use @SideOnly unless you now what it does exactly.

You should like MoxEmerald said use world.isRemote.

If world.isRemote returns true that means it's on the client side.

If it's returns false then that means it's on the server side.

I hope you are experienced enough to figure this out.

Good luck c:

How did you even notice that it was running twice? Just from the System.out? What do the methods even do?

It might just be that your other tilentities are running twice but you didn't notice. Without complete information I'm just throwing darts.

Something that might be useful is to System.out the words "client" or "server" based on the outcome of world.isRemote.

I would probably recommend double-checking everything, seeing if there are mistakes or differences between your other tile-entities.

It shouldn't happen if you construct them identically.

Like said, you should go ahead and try the "println" methods, but remember one thing check whether it is coming from the client or the server.

It should run twice if it's being called on both the client and the server.

Should a modder be using @SideOnly ever? NO

Why is your code running twice: It's either two instances, or the client and server are ticking it.

Depends on what 'code' you're talking about.

I do Forge for free, however the servers to run it arn't free, so anything is appreciated.
Consider supporting the team on Patreon

I'm often confused by topics like this.  If you are debugging this in eclipse, it has a different window for client and server.  It should be pretty clear if it is running once on each or you are somehow running it twice on one side (highly unlikely).

Long time Bukkit & Forge Programmer

Happy to try and help

I knew that it was ticking on both sides but when The tile entity called the item storage method I received a stack overflow. I thought this was caused by my method recycling the extra items from an item stack that was too large. I've got everything working but I still get the error if the items inherent max stack size is 16 (eggs).

About the @SideOnly, through tutorials I was taught to use this for graphics. Is this no longer the case? I do understand that I was confusing side only and isRemote checks when I wrote this post.

I'm often confused by topics like this.  If you are debugging this in eclipse, it has a different window for client and server.  It should be pretty clear if it is running once on each or you are somehow running it twice on one side (highly unlikely).

I'll have to find out how to setup my perspective this way because mine is merged.