[1.7.2]What is proper entity registration (conflicting tutorials confusion)?

jabelar

Okay, I'm getting confused between the use of the EntityRegistry.registerGlobalEntityID() and the EntityRegistry.registerModEntity() methods for entity registration because I looked at four tutorials that give conflicting advice...

A tutorial here (http://www.minecraftforge.net/wiki/How_to_register_a_mob_entity#Registering_an_Entity) indicates to only use the registerGlobalEntityID().  It says:

Put the following in your mod file's load() method:

EntityRegistry.registerGlobalEntityID(MyEntity.class, "MyEntityName", myentityid)

Where MyEntity is the name of your entity's class, "MyEntityName" is the name of the entity, and myentityid will be the number Minecraft uses to identify the mob. You can get a unique, unused entity id by calling EntityRegistry.findGlobalUniqueEntityId() instead of myentityid.

A tutorial here (http://www.minecraftforum.net/topic/1417041-mod-entity-problem/page__st__140#entry18822284) says to only use registerModEntity().  It says:

There is only one method for registering and adding tracking.

EntityRegistry.registerModEntity(Class<? extends Entity> entityClass, String entityName, int id, Object mod, int trackingRange, int updateFrequency, boolean sendsVelocityUpdates) : void

At tutorial here (http://www.minecraftforum.net/topic/2389683-172-forge-add-new-block-item-entity-ai-creative-tab-language-localization-block-textures-side-textures/) says to use both methods, but to use the same entityID for both.  It says:

EntityRegistry.registerGlobalEntityID(entityClass, name, entityID);

EntityRegistry.registerModEntity(entityClass, name, entityID, instance, 64, 1, true);

EntityList.entityEggs.put(Integer.valueOf(entityID), new EntityList.EntityEggInfo(entityID, primaryColor, secondaryColor));

A message here (http://www.minecraftforum.net/topic/2564566-172spawning-my-entity-on-top-of-another-one-crashes-game/)indicates to use both methods, but use different ID in each:

You also need to register your entity as a mod entity, using a mod-specific id. I do so using a static int modEntityIndex that I just iterate each time, and a custom helper method that I use for entities that have spawn eggs:

public static void registerEntity(Class entityClass, String name, int primaryColor, int secondaryColor) { int id = EntityRegistry.findGlobalUniqueEntityId(); EntityRegistry.registerGlobalEntityID(entityClass, name, id, primaryColor, secondaryColor); EntityRegistry.registerModEntity(entityClass, name, ++modEntityIndex, ZSSMain.instance, 80, 3, false); }

So which way is correct?  The weird thing is they all kinda work -- I tried all three and can spawn the entities -- but I assume there is some invisible bad stuff going on if you do it the wrong way.

Check out my tutorials here: http://jabelarminecraft.blogspot.com/

Well, the first one is marked as outdated, so I'd ignore that.

It looks to be 1.6 or 1.5, but could be earlier.

Second one is 1.4 so DEFINITELY ignore that

Third one looks right to me

Fourth... couldn't really be bothered looking through that one all that much tbh, but it seemed more focused on other things and wasn't exactly a tutorial

An example from my WIP mod:

EntityRegistry.registerGlobalEntityID(EntityBullet.class, "Bullet", EntityRegistry.findGlobalUniqueEntityId());
EntityRegistry.registerModEntity(EntityBullet.class, "Bullet", Config.entBulletId, Steamcraft.instance, 64, 20, true); 

If you don't know what each of the values do in the registerModEntity, please read the Forge javadocs.

An example from my WIP mod:

EntityRegistry.registerGlobalEntityID(EntityBullet.class, "Bullet", EntityRegistry.findGlobalUniqueEntityId());
EntityRegistry.registerModEntity(EntityBullet.class, "Bullet", Config.entBulletId, Steamcraft.instance, 64, 20, true); 

If you don't know what each of the values do in the registerModEntity, please read the Forge javadocs.

Thanks.  That is in line with case #4 (use both but different ID numbers).  I do know about the parameters (distance to render, frequency of updates, velocity updates).

@Jacknoshima

Fourth... couldn't really be bothered looking through that one all that much tbh, but it seemed more focused on other things and wasn't exactly a tutorial

You didn't have to look at the link because I quoted the specific advice.  Note that the advice was from CoolAlias who I greatly respect.  The key difference is that the id is different in the two registrations.  In particular this meshes with the explanation in the second link that indicates that the mod entity registry is meant to be unique id within your mod -- doesn't need to be globally unique.

I think method 4 (CoolAlias' suggestion, and backed up by McArcane) is technically correct, but 3 happens to work because if your global id is unique then your mob entity id will be unique too so no real problem created.

It looks to be 1.6 or 1.5, but could be earlier.

Second one is 1.4 so DEFINITELY ignore that

I can't quite ignore these because even though they are older they each have a registration method that is different, and now we're supposed to use both?    I understand if there is a newer method that replaces an older one, but it seems strange to me that the new method would be to combine both older methods.

Also, the explanation in the second link is quite interesting and makes sense to me -- that the mod id is meant to get away from the trouble of the mod programmer worrying about globally unique id.  While there is a method to find a globally unique id, there is another limitation with the global entity list related to it being limited to 255 entities (due to a byte cast on the id in the packets).  If I look at the related mob spawn packet methods in 1.7.2 there is still a byte cast, so seems like that limitation is still present.

Lastly, the weird thing to me is that ALL these methods kinda work when I try them.  I tried all the scenarios, and in every case the entities are created, spawn, act on their AI, have NBT and restore from saves, etc.  I would understand it better if skipping either of the registries prevented the spawn, since then it would imply that you need them.  Just strange that it is hard to notice any difference in behavior between the cases.

I guess I'll do some experiments to figure out what behavior is explicitly enabled by each registry.

Hi again,

This issue was quite confusing to me as well, to be honest. In fact, I was under the impression that global entity IDs were not supposed to be used at all, and only to use registerModEntity. registerModEntity can take any ID, as the IDs are associated with your mod specifically, so I just start at zero and iterate up. This is what is used to track your entity. All mod entities should be registered this way, including projectiles, mobs, item entities, etc.

Global entity ID is only necessary when registering an entity with a spawn egg, and needs to get a unique global entity ID from the EntityRegistry, otherwise your spawn eggs may conflict with those added by other mods. So if your entity is going to have a spawn egg, you need to register it globally, in addition to the registerModEntity.

That's at least how I've come to understand it after working with it some, but the issue is far from 100% clear even after looking through Forge and what little documentation is available.

If anyone who knows with absolute certainty can corroborate or correct my experiences, that would be wonderful. xD

Cheers,

coolAlias

You don't need to have a global entity id at all.

The #registerModEntity is the right one.

Also, the explanation in the second link is quite interesting and makes sense to me -- that the mod id is meant to get away from the trouble of the mod programmer worrying about globally unique id.  While there is a method to find a globally unique id, there is another limitation with the global entity list related to it being limited to 255 entities (due to a byte cast on the id in the packets).  If I look at the related mob spawn packet methods in 1.7.2 there is still a byte cast, so seems like that limitation is still present.

This is totally correct.

Also, while it doesn't give you a vanilla egg,  it doesn't stop you from making one.

The lazy step would be to register a global entity id and add it to the vanilla egg list. (but then the local id registration is far less interesting)

Another solution is to create your own egg, like any item (see ItemMonsterPlacer, though you'll need to replace the global entity id lookup with either entity name or local id).

Another solution is to use events and spawn the entity yourself.

You don't need to have a global entity id at all.

The #registerModEntity is the right one.

This is totally correct.

Also, while it doesn't give you a vanilla egg,  it doesn't stop you from making one.

The lazy step would be to register a global entity id and add it to the vanilla egg list. (but then the local id registration is far less interesting)

Another solution is to create your own egg, like any item (see ItemMonsterPlacer, though you'll need to replace the global entity id lookup with either entity name or local id).

Another solution is to use events and spawn the entity yourself.

I've been experimenting and like you and CoolAlias said it seems that vanilla eggs definitely require a globalID.  I like the idea of only worrying about mod-specific ID since it seems like better programming practice. 

But in addition to not having spawn eggs (I wouldn't mind making my own if that was only thing), it seems that the natural spawn registrations also use globalID.  So you'd have to make new natural spawning methods too?

But in addition to not having spawn eggs (I wouldn't mind making my own if that was only thing), it seems that the natural spawn registrations also use globalID.  So you'd have to make new natural spawning methods too?

No. Entities are registered always within the EntityList. The registerModEntity just ignores the IDtoClassMapping and the classToIDMapping.

Natural spawns always grab the entities from the class supplied by the EntityRegistry.addSpawn method.

Don't ask for support per PM! They'll get ignored! | If a post helped you, click the "Thank You" button at the top right corner of said post! |

mah twitter

This thread makes me sad because people just post copy-paste-ready code when it's obvious that the OP has little to no programming experience. This is not how learning works.

No. Entities are registered always within the EntityList. The registerModEntity just ignores the IDtoClassMapping and the classToIDMapping.

But something is wrong because I don't see the modEntityID registrations ever show up in EntityList.  I created a method to print out the EntityList after I registerEntities and it doesn't show any entries for my entities.  Here is the EntityList after my registration (none of my entities are listed):

Entity ID: 1 is Item

Entity ID: 2 is XPOrb

Entity ID: 3 is null

Entity ID: 4 is null

Entity ID: 5 is null

Entity ID: 6 is null

Entity ID: 7 is null

Entity ID: 8 is LeashKnot

Entity ID: 9 is Painting

Entity ID: 10 is Arrow

Entity ID: 11 is Snowball

Entity ID: 12 is Fireball

Entity ID: 13 is SmallFireball

Entity ID: 14 is ThrownEnderpearl

Entity ID: 15 is EyeOfEnderSignal

Entity ID: 16 is ThrownPotion

Entity ID: 17 is ThrownExpBottle

Entity ID: 18 is ItemFrame

Entity ID: 19 is WitherSkull

Entity ID: 20 is PrimedTnt

Entity ID: 21 is FallingSand

Entity ID: 22 is FireworksRocketEntity

Entity ID: 23 is null

Entity ID: 24 is null

Entity ID: 25 is null

Entity ID: 26 is null

Entity ID: 27 is null

Entity ID: 28 is null

Entity ID: 29 is null

Entity ID: 30 is null

Entity ID: 31 is null

Entity ID: 32 is null

Entity ID: 33 is null

Entity ID: 34 is null

Entity ID: 35 is null

Entity ID: 36 is null

Entity ID: 37 is null

Entity ID: 38 is null

Entity ID: 39 is null

Entity ID: 40 is MinecartCommandBlock

Entity ID: 41 is Boat

Entity ID: 42 is MinecartRideable

Entity ID: 43 is MinecartChest

Entity ID: 44 is MinecartFurnace

Entity ID: 45 is MinecartTNT

Entity ID: 46 is MinecartHopper

Entity ID: 47 is MinecartSpawner

Entity ID: 48 is Mob

Entity ID: 49 is Monster

Entity ID: 50 is Creeper

Entity ID: 51 is Skeleton

Entity ID: 52 is Spider

Entity ID: 53 is Giant

Entity ID: 54 is Zombie

Entity ID: 55 is Slime

Entity ID: 56 is Ghast

Entity ID: 57 is PigZombie

Entity ID: 58 is Enderman

Entity ID: 59 is CaveSpider

Entity ID: 60 is Silverfish

Entity ID: 61 is Blaze

Entity ID: 62 is LavaSlime

Entity ID: 63 is EnderDragon

Entity ID: 64 is WitherBoss

Entity ID: 65 is Bat

Entity ID: 66 is Witch

Entity ID: 67 is null

Entity ID: 68 is null

Entity ID: 69 is null

Entity ID: 70 is null

Entity ID: 71 is null

Entity ID: 72 is null

Entity ID: 73 is null

Entity ID: 74 is null

Entity ID: 75 is null

Entity ID: 76 is null

Entity ID: 77 is null

Entity ID: 78 is null

Entity ID: 79 is null

Entity ID: 80 is null

Entity ID: 81 is null

Entity ID: 82 is null

Entity ID: 83 is null

Entity ID: 84 is null

Entity ID: 85 is null

Entity ID: 86 is null

Entity ID: 87 is null

Entity ID: 88 is null

Entity ID: 89 is null

Entity ID: 90 is Pig

Entity ID: 91 is Sheep

Entity ID: 92 is Cow

Entity ID: 93 is Chicken

Entity ID: 94 is Squid

Entity ID: 95 is Wolf

Entity ID: 96 is MushroomCow

Entity ID: 97 is SnowMan

Entity ID: 98 is Ozelot

Entity ID: 99 is VillagerGolem

Entity ID: 100 is EntityHorse

Entity ID: 101 is null

Entity ID: 102 is null

Entity ID: 103 is null

Entity ID: 104 is null

Entity ID: 105 is null

Entity ID: 106 is null

Entity ID: 107 is null

Entity ID: 108 is null

Entity ID: 109 is null

Entity ID: 110 is null

Entity ID: 111 is null

Entity ID: 112 is null

Entity ID: 113 is null

Entity ID: 114 is null

Entity ID: 115 is null

Entity ID: 116 is null

Entity ID: 117 is null

Entity ID: 118 is null

Entity ID: 119 is null

Entity ID: 120 is Villager

Entity ID: 121 is null

Entity ID: 122 is null

Entity ID: 123 is null

Entity ID: 124 is null

Entity ID: 125 is null

Entity ID: 126 is null

Entity ID: 127 is null

Entity ID: 128 is null

Entity ID: 129 is null

Entity ID: 130 is null

Entity ID: 131 is null

Entity ID: 132 is null

Entity ID: 133 is null

Entity ID: 134 is null

Entity ID: 135 is null

Entity ID: 136 is null

Entity ID: 137 is null

Entity ID: 138 is null

Entity ID: 139 is null

Entity ID: 140 is null

Entity ID: 141 is null

Entity ID: 142 is null

Entity ID: 143 is null

Entity ID: 144 is null

Entity ID: 145 is null

Entity ID: 146 is null

Entity ID: 147 is null

Entity ID: 148 is null

Entity ID: 149 is null

Entity ID: 150 is null

Entity ID: 151 is null

Entity ID: 152 is null

Entity ID: 153 is null

Entity ID: 154 is null

Entity ID: 155 is null

Entity ID: 156 is null

Entity ID: 157 is null

Entity ID: 158 is null

Entity ID: 159 is null

Entity ID: 160 is null

Entity ID: 161 is null

Entity ID: 162 is null

Entity ID: 163 is null

Entity ID: 164 is null

Entity ID: 165 is null

Entity ID: 166 is null

Entity ID: 167 is null

Entity ID: 168 is null

Entity ID: 169 is null

Entity ID: 170 is null

Entity ID: 171 is null

Entity ID: 172 is null

Entity ID: 173 is null

Entity ID: 174 is null

Entity ID: 175 is null

Entity ID: 176 is null

Entity ID: 177 is null

Entity ID: 178 is null

Entity ID: 179 is null

Entity ID: 180 is null

Entity ID: 181 is null

Entity ID: 182 is null

Entity ID: 183 is null

Entity ID: 184 is null

Entity ID: 185 is null

Entity ID: 186 is null

Entity ID: 187 is null

Entity ID: 188 is null

Entity ID: 189 is null

Entity ID: 190 is null

Entity ID: 191 is null

Entity ID: 192 is null

Entity ID: 193 is null

Entity ID: 194 is null

Entity ID: 195 is null

Entity ID: 196 is null

Entity ID: 197 is null

Entity ID: 198 is null

Entity ID: 199 is null

Entity ID: 200 is EnderCrystal

Entity ID: 201 is null

Entity ID: 202 is null

Entity ID: 203 is null

Entity ID: 204 is null

Entity ID: 205 is null

Entity ID: 206 is null

Entity ID: 207 is null

Entity ID: 208 is null

Entity ID: 209 is null

Entity ID: 210 is null

Entity ID: 211 is null

Entity ID: 212 is null

Entity ID: 213 is null

Entity ID: 214 is null

Entity ID: 215 is null

Entity ID: 216 is null

Entity ID: 217 is null

Entity ID: 218 is null

Entity ID: 219 is null

Entity ID: 220 is null

Entity ID: 221 is null

Entity ID: 222 is null

Entity ID: 223 is null

Entity ID: 224 is null

Entity ID: 225 is null

Entity ID: 226 is null

Entity ID: 227 is null

Entity ID: 228 is null

Entity ID: 229 is null

Entity ID: 230 is null

Entity ID: 231 is null

Entity ID: 232 is null

Entity ID: 233 is null

Entity ID: 234 is null

Entity ID: 235 is null

Entity ID: 236 is null

Entity ID: 237 is null

Entity ID: 238 is null

Entity ID: 239 is null

Entity ID: 240 is null

Entity ID: 241 is null

Entity ID: 242 is null

Entity ID: 243 is null

Entity ID: 244 is null

Entity ID: 245 is null

Entity ID: 246 is null

Entity ID: 247 is null

Entity ID: 248 is null

Entity ID: 249 is null

Entity ID: 250 is null

Entity ID: 251 is null

Entity ID: 252 is null

Entity ID: 253 is null

Entity ID: 254 is null

Entity ID: 255 is null

And here is my code for the registration.  Main class preInit():

@EventHandler
    // preInit "Run before anything else. Read your config, create blocks, items, etc, and register them with the GameRegistry."
    public void preInit(FMLPreInitializationEvent event) 
    {   	
        proxy.preInit();
        reportEntityList(); // check list after registration
    }

And my commonProxy class:

package wildanimals.proxy;

import net.minecraft.entity.EnumCreatureType;
import net.minecraft.world.biome.BiomeGenBase;
import net.minecraftforge.common.MinecraftForge;
import wildanimals.WildAnimals;
import wildanimals.WildAnimalsEventHandler;
import wildanimals.WildAnimalsFMLEventHandler;
import wildanimals.WildAnimalsOreGenEventHandler;
import wildanimals.WildAnimalsTerrainGenEventHandler;
import wildanimals.entities.bigcats.EntityJaguar;
import wildanimals.entities.bigcats.EntityLion;
import wildanimals.entities.bigcats.EntityLynx;
import wildanimals.entities.bigcats.EntityManEatingTiger;
import wildanimals.entities.bigcats.EntityTiger;
import wildanimals.entities.herdanimals.EntityElephant;
import cpw.mods.fml.common.FMLCommonHandler;
import cpw.mods.fml.common.registry.EntityRegistry;

public class CommonProxy 
{

public int modEntityIndex ;
    public int spawnEggIndex ;

public void preInit()
{  	
    	registerBlocks();
     	registerItems();
       	registerTileEntities();
    	registerRecipes();
        registerEntities();
        registerEntitySpawns();
        registerFuelHandlers();
}

public void load()
{
        // register custom event listeners
        registerEventListeners();
}

public void postInit()
{
	// can do some inter-mod stuff here
}

// register blocks
    public void registerBlocks()
    {
	//example: GameRegistry.registerBlock(blockTomato, "tomatoes");
     }

// register items
    private void registerItems()
    {
	//example: GameRegistry.registerItem(tomato, "tomato");

// example: GameRegistry.registerCustomItemStack(name, itemStack);
    }

// register tileentities
    public void registerTileEntities()
    {
    	// example: GameRegistry.registerTileEntity(TileEntityStove.class, "stove_tile_entity");
    }

// register recipes
    public void registerRecipes()
    {
	// examples:
    	//    	GameRegistry.addRecipe(recipe);
	//    	GameRegistry.addShapedRecipe(output, params);
	//    	GameRegistry.addShapelessRecipe(output, params);
	//    	GameRegistry.addSmelting(input, output, xp);
    }

// register entities
    // lots of conflicting tutorials on this, currently following: http://www.minecraftforum.net/topic/2389683-172-forge-add-new-block-item-entity-ai-creative-tab-language-localization-block-textures-side-textures/
    // another tut says to only register mod id http://www.minecraftforum.net/topic/1417041-mod-entity-problem/page__st__140#entry18822284
    // another tut says to only register global id like http://www.minecraftforge.net/wiki/How_to_register_a_mob_entity#Registering_an_Entity
     public void registerEntities()
    {

// Big cats
        EntityRegistry.registerModEntity(EntityTiger.class, "tiger", ++modEntityIndex, WildAnimals.instance, 80, 3, false);        
        EntityRegistry.registerModEntity(EntityManEatingTiger.class, "maneatingtiger", ++modEntityIndex, WildAnimals.instance, 80, 3, false);
        EntityRegistry.registerModEntity(EntityLion.class, "lion", ++modEntityIndex, WildAnimals.instance, 80, 3, false);
        EntityRegistry.registerModEntity(EntityLynx.class, "lynx", ++modEntityIndex, WildAnimals.instance, 80, 3, false);
        EntityRegistry.registerModEntity(EntityJaguar.class, "jaguar", ++modEntityIndex, WildAnimals.instance, 80, 3, false);

// Herd animals
        EntityRegistry.registerModEntity(EntityElephant.class, "elephant", ++modEntityIndex, WildAnimals.instance, 80, 3, false);

}

public void registerEntitySpawns()
    {
    // register natural spawns for entities
    // EntityRegistry.addSpawn(MyEntity.class, spawnProbability, minSpawn, maxSpawn, enumCreatureType, [spawnBiome]);
    // See the constructor in BiomeGenBase.java to see the rarity of vanilla mobs; Sheep are probability 10 while Endermen are probability 1
    // minSpawn and maxSpawn are about how groups of the entity spawn
    // enumCreatureType represents the "rules" Minecraft uses to determine spawning, based on creature type. By default, you have three choices:
    //	EnumCreatureType.creature uses rules for animals: spawn everywhere it is light out.
    //	EnumCreatureType.monster uses rules for monsters: spawn everywhere it is dark out.
    //	EnumCreatureType.waterCreature uses rules for water creatures: spawn only in water.
    // [spawnBiome] is an optional parameter of type BiomeGenBase that limits the creature spawn to a single biome type. Without this parameter, it will spawn everywhere. 

// Big cats
    	// savanna cats
    EntityRegistry.addSpawn(EntityLion.class, 6, 0, 5, EnumCreatureType.creature, BiomeGenBase.savanna); //change the values to vary the spawn rarity, biome, etc.              
    EntityRegistry.addSpawn(EntityLion.class, 6, 0, 5, EnumCreatureType.creature, BiomeGenBase.savannaPlateau); //change the values to vary the spawn rarity, biome, etc.              
    	// hill cats
    EntityRegistry.addSpawn(EntityLynx.class, 5, 0, 1, EnumCreatureType.creature, BiomeGenBase.birchForestHills); //change the values to vary the spawn rarity, biome, etc.              
    EntityRegistry.addSpawn(EntityLynx.class, 5, 0, 1, EnumCreatureType.creature, BiomeGenBase.coldTaigaHills); //change the values to vary the spawn rarity, biome, etc.              
    EntityRegistry.addSpawn(EntityLynx.class, 5, 0, 1, EnumCreatureType.creature, BiomeGenBase.desertHills); //change the values to vary the spawn rarity, biome, etc.              
    EntityRegistry.addSpawn(EntityLynx.class, 5, 0, 1, EnumCreatureType.creature, BiomeGenBase.extremeHills); //change the values to vary the spawn rarity, biome, etc.              
    EntityRegistry.addSpawn(EntityLynx.class, 5, 0, 1, EnumCreatureType.creature, BiomeGenBase.extremeHillsEdge); //change the values to vary the spawn rarity, biome, etc.              
    EntityRegistry.addSpawn(EntityLynx.class, 5, 0, 1, EnumCreatureType.creature, BiomeGenBase.extremeHillsPlus); //change the values to vary the spawn rarity, biome, etc.              
    EntityRegistry.addSpawn(EntityLynx.class, 5, 0, 1, EnumCreatureType.creature, BiomeGenBase.forestHills); //change the values to vary the spawn rarity, biome, etc.              
    EntityRegistry.addSpawn(EntityLynx.class, 5, 0, 1, EnumCreatureType.creature, BiomeGenBase.iceMountains); //change the values to vary the spawn rarity, biome, etc.              
    EntityRegistry.addSpawn(EntityLynx.class, 5, 0, 1, EnumCreatureType.creature, BiomeGenBase.megaTaigaHills); //change the values to vary the spawn rarity, biome, etc.              
    EntityRegistry.addSpawn(EntityLynx.class, 5, 0, 1, EnumCreatureType.creature, BiomeGenBase.mesaPlateau); //change the values to vary the spawn rarity, biome, etc.              
    EntityRegistry.addSpawn(EntityLynx.class, 5, 0, 1, EnumCreatureType.creature, BiomeGenBase.mesaPlateau_F); //change the values to vary the spawn rarity, biome, etc.              
    	// swamp cats
    EntityRegistry.addSpawn(EntityLynx.class, 5, 0, 1, EnumCreatureType.creature, BiomeGenBase.swampland); //change the values to vary the spawn rarity, biome, etc.                  
    // jungle cats
    	EntityRegistry.addSpawn(EntityJaguar.class, 6, 0, 1, EnumCreatureType.creature, BiomeGenBase.jungle); //change the values to vary the spawn rarity, biome, etc.              
    	EntityRegistry.addSpawn(EntityJaguar.class, 3, 0, 1, EnumCreatureType.creature, BiomeGenBase.jungleHills); //change the values to vary the spawn rarity, biome, etc.              
    	EntityRegistry.addSpawn(EntityJaguar.class, 1, 0, 1, EnumCreatureType.creature, BiomeGenBase.jungleEdge); //change the values to vary the spawn rarity, biome, etc.              
    	// Jaden didn't want tigers! EntityRegistry.addSpawn(EntityTiger.class, 1, 0, 1, EnumCreatureType.creature, BiomeGenBase.jungle); //change the values to vary the spawn rarity, biome, etc.              
    EntityRegistry.addSpawn(EntityManEatingTiger.class, 1, 0, 1, EnumCreatureType.creature, BiomeGenBase.jungle); //change the values to vary the spawn rarity, biome, etc.

// Herd animals
    // savanna herds
    	EntityRegistry.addSpawn(EntityElephant.class, 10, 0, 1, EnumCreatureType.creature, BiomeGenBase.savanna); //change the values to vary the spawn rarity, biome, etc.              
    	EntityRegistry.addSpawn(EntityElephant.class, 10, 0, 1, EnumCreatureType.creature, BiomeGenBase.savannaPlateau); //change the values to vary the spawn rarity, biome, etc.              
    }

public void registerFuelHandlers()
    {
    	// example: GameRegistry.registerFuelHandler(handler);
    }

public void registerEventListeners() 
    {
    	MinecraftForge.EVENT_BUS.register(new WildAnimalsEventHandler());
    	MinecraftForge.TERRAIN_GEN_BUS.register(new WildAnimalsTerrainGenEventHandler());; 
    	MinecraftForge.ORE_GEN_BUS.register(new WildAnimalsOreGenEventHandler());    	
    	// some events, especially tick, is handled on FML bus
    	FMLCommonHandler.instance().bus().register(new WildAnimalsFMLEventHandler());
}

}

However, if I change the CommonProxy to use globalID then I get the following EntityList readout that shows my entities nicely registered:

Entity ID: 1 is Item

Entity ID: 2 is XPOrb

Entity ID: 3 is tiger

Entity ID: 4 is maneatingtiger

Entity ID: 5 is lion

Entity ID: 6 is lynx

Entity ID: 7 is jaguar

Entity ID: 8 is LeashKnot

Entity ID: 9 is Painting

Entity ID: 10 is Arrow

Entity ID: 11 is Snowball

Entity ID: 12 is Fireball

Entity ID: 13 is SmallFireball

Entity ID: 14 is ThrownEnderpearl

Entity ID: 15 is EyeOfEnderSignal

Entity ID: 16 is ThrownPotion

Entity ID: 17 is ThrownExpBottle

Entity ID: 18 is ItemFrame

Entity ID: 19 is WitherSkull

Entity ID: 20 is PrimedTnt

Entity ID: 21 is FallingSand

Entity ID: 22 is FireworksRocketEntity

Entity ID: 23 is elephant

Entity ID: 24 is null

Entity ID: 25 is null

Entity ID: 26 is null

Entity ID: 27 is null

Entity ID: 28 is null

Entity ID: 29 is null

Entity ID: 30 is null

Entity ID: 31 is null

Entity ID: 32 is null

Entity ID: 33 is null

Entity ID: 34 is null

Entity ID: 35 is null

Entity ID: 36 is null

Entity ID: 37 is null

Entity ID: 38 is null

Entity ID: 39 is null

Entity ID: 40 is MinecartCommandBlock

Entity ID: 41 is Boat

Entity ID: 42 is MinecartRideable

Entity ID: 43 is MinecartChest

Entity ID: 44 is MinecartFurnace

Entity ID: 45 is MinecartTNT

Entity ID: 46 is MinecartHopper

Entity ID: 47 is MinecartSpawner

Entity ID: 48 is Mob

Entity ID: 49 is Monster

Entity ID: 50 is Creeper

Entity ID: 51 is Skeleton

Entity ID: 52 is Spider

Entity ID: 53 is Giant

Entity ID: 54 is Zombie

Entity ID: 55 is Slime

Entity ID: 56 is Ghast

Entity ID: 57 is PigZombie

Entity ID: 58 is Enderman

Entity ID: 59 is CaveSpider

Entity ID: 60 is Silverfish

Entity ID: 61 is Blaze

Entity ID: 62 is LavaSlime

Entity ID: 63 is EnderDragon

Entity ID: 64 is WitherBoss

Entity ID: 65 is Bat

Entity ID: 66 is Witch

Entity ID: 67 is null

Entity ID: 68 is null

Entity ID: 69 is null

Entity ID: 70 is null

Entity ID: 71 is null

Entity ID: 72 is null

Entity ID: 73 is null

Entity ID: 74 is null

Entity ID: 75 is null

Entity ID: 76 is null

Entity ID: 77 is null

Entity ID: 78 is null

Entity ID: 79 is null

Entity ID: 80 is null

Entity ID: 81 is null

Entity ID: 82 is null

Entity ID: 83 is null

Entity ID: 84 is null

Entity ID: 85 is null

Entity ID: 86 is null

Entity ID: 87 is null

Entity ID: 88 is null

Entity ID: 89 is null

Entity ID: 90 is Pig

Entity ID: 91 is Sheep

Entity ID: 92 is Cow

Entity ID: 93 is Chicken

Entity ID: 94 is Squid

Entity ID: 95 is Wolf

Entity ID: 96 is MushroomCow

Entity ID: 97 is SnowMan

Entity ID: 98 is Ozelot

Entity ID: 99 is VillagerGolem

Entity ID: 100 is EntityHorse

Entity ID: 101 is null

Entity ID: 102 is null

Entity ID: 103 is null

Entity ID: 104 is null

Entity ID: 105 is null

Entity ID: 106 is null

Entity ID: 107 is null

Entity ID: 108 is null

Entity ID: 109 is null

Entity ID: 110 is null

Entity ID: 111 is null

Entity ID: 112 is null

Entity ID: 113 is null

Entity ID: 114 is null

Entity ID: 115 is null

Entity ID: 116 is null

Entity ID: 117 is null

Entity ID: 118 is null

Entity ID: 119 is null

Entity ID: 120 is Villager

Entity ID: 121 is null

Entity ID: 122 is null

Entity ID: 123 is null

Entity ID: 124 is null

Entity ID: 125 is null

Entity ID: 126 is null

Entity ID: 127 is null

Entity ID: 128 is null

Entity ID: 129 is null

Entity ID: 130 is null

Entity ID: 131 is null

Entity ID: 132 is null

Entity ID: 133 is null

Entity ID: 134 is null

Entity ID: 135 is null

Entity ID: 136 is null

Entity ID: 137 is null

Entity ID: 138 is null

Entity ID: 139 is null

Entity ID: 140 is null

Entity ID: 141 is null

Entity ID: 142 is null

Entity ID: 143 is null

Entity ID: 144 is null

Entity ID: 145 is null

Entity ID: 146 is null

Entity ID: 147 is null

Entity ID: 148 is null

Entity ID: 149 is null

Entity ID: 150 is null

Entity ID: 151 is null

Entity ID: 152 is null

Entity ID: 153 is null

Entity ID: 154 is null

Entity ID: 155 is null

Entity ID: 156 is null

Entity ID: 157 is null

Entity ID: 158 is null

Entity ID: 159 is null

Entity ID: 160 is null

Entity ID: 161 is null

Entity ID: 162 is null

Entity ID: 163 is null

Entity ID: 164 is null

Entity ID: 165 is null

Entity ID: 166 is null

Entity ID: 167 is null

Entity ID: 168 is null

Entity ID: 169 is null

Entity ID: 170 is null

Entity ID: 171 is null

Entity ID: 172 is null

Entity ID: 173 is null

Entity ID: 174 is null

Entity ID: 175 is null

Entity ID: 176 is null

Entity ID: 177 is null

Entity ID: 178 is null

Entity ID: 179 is null

Entity ID: 180 is null

Entity ID: 181 is null

Entity ID: 182 is null

Entity ID: 183 is null

Entity ID: 184 is null

Entity ID: 185 is null

Entity ID: 186 is null

Entity ID: 187 is null

Entity ID: 188 is null

Entity ID: 189 is null

Entity ID: 190 is null

Entity ID: 191 is null

Entity ID: 192 is null

Entity ID: 193 is null

Entity ID: 194 is null

Entity ID: 195 is null

Entity ID: 196 is null

Entity ID: 197 is null

Entity ID: 198 is null

Entity ID: 199 is null

Entity ID: 200 is EnderCrystal

Entity ID: 201 is null

Entity ID: 202 is null

Entity ID: 203 is null

Entity ID: 204 is null

Entity ID: 205 is null

Entity ID: 206 is null

Entity ID: 207 is null

Entity ID: 208 is null

Entity ID: 209 is null

Entity ID: 210 is null

Entity ID: 211 is null

Entity ID: 212 is null

Entity ID: 213 is null

Entity ID: 214 is null

Entity ID: 215 is null

Entity ID: 216 is null

Entity ID: 217 is null

Entity ID: 218 is null

Entity ID: 219 is null

Entity ID: 220 is null

Entity ID: 221 is null

Entity ID: 222 is null

Entity ID: 223 is null

Entity ID: 224 is null

Entity ID: 225 is null

Entity ID: 226 is null

Entity ID: 227 is null

Entity ID: 228 is null

Entity ID: 229 is null

Entity ID: 230 is null

Entity ID: 231 is null

Entity ID: 232 is null

Entity ID: 233 is null

Entity ID: 234 is null

Entity ID: 235 is null

Entity ID: 236 is null

Entity ID: 237 is null

Entity ID: 238 is null

Entity ID: 239 is null

Entity ID: 240 is null

Entity ID: 241 is null

Entity ID: 242 is null

Entity ID: 243 is null

Entity ID: 244 is null

Entity ID: 245 is null

Entity ID: 246 is null

Entity ID: 247 is null

Entity ID: 248 is null

Entity ID: 249 is null

Entity ID: 250 is null

Entity ID: 251 is null

Entity ID: 252 is null

Entity ID: 253 is null

Entity ID: 254 is null

Entity ID: 255 is null

Where my CommonProxy was now:

package wildanimals.proxy;

import net.minecraft.entity.EnumCreatureType;
import net.minecraft.world.biome.BiomeGenBase;
import net.minecraftforge.common.MinecraftForge;
import wildanimals.WildAnimalsEventHandler;
import wildanimals.WildAnimalsFMLEventHandler;
import wildanimals.WildAnimalsOreGenEventHandler;
import wildanimals.WildAnimalsTerrainGenEventHandler;
import wildanimals.entities.bigcats.EntityJaguar;
import wildanimals.entities.bigcats.EntityLion;
import wildanimals.entities.bigcats.EntityLynx;
import wildanimals.entities.bigcats.EntityManEatingTiger;
import wildanimals.entities.bigcats.EntityTiger;
import wildanimals.entities.herdanimals.EntityElephant;
import cpw.mods.fml.common.FMLCommonHandler;
import cpw.mods.fml.common.registry.EntityRegistry;

public class CommonProxy 
{

public int modEntityIndex ;
    public int spawnEggIndex ;

public void preInit()
{  	
    	registerBlocks();
     	registerItems();
       	registerTileEntities();
    	registerRecipes();
        registerEntities();
        registerEntitySpawns();
        registerFuelHandlers();
}

public void load()
{
        // register custom event listeners
        registerEventListeners();
}

public void postInit()
{
	// can do some inter-mod stuff here
}

// register blocks
    public void registerBlocks()
    {
	//example: GameRegistry.registerBlock(blockTomato, "tomatoes");
     }

// register items
    private void registerItems()
    {
	//example: GameRegistry.registerItem(tomato, "tomato");

// example: GameRegistry.registerCustomItemStack(name, itemStack);
    }

// register tileentities
    public void registerTileEntities()
    {
    	// example: GameRegistry.registerTileEntity(TileEntityStove.class, "stove_tile_entity");
    }

// register recipes
    public void registerRecipes()
    {
	// examples:
    	//    	GameRegistry.addRecipe(recipe);
	//    	GameRegistry.addShapedRecipe(output, params);
	//    	GameRegistry.addShapelessRecipe(output, params);
	//    	GameRegistry.addSmelting(input, output, xp);
    }

// register entities
    // lots of conflicting tutorials on this, currently following: http://www.minecraftforum.net/topic/2389683-172-forge-add-new-block-item-entity-ai-creative-tab-language-localization-block-textures-side-textures/
    // another tut says to only register mod id http://www.minecraftforum.net/topic/1417041-mod-entity-problem/page__st__140#entry18822284
    // another tut says to only register global id like http://www.minecraftforge.net/wiki/How_to_register_a_mob_entity#Registering_an_Entity
     public void registerEntities()
    {

// Big cats
    	EntityRegistry.registerGlobalEntityID(EntityTiger.class, "tiger", EntityRegistry.findGlobalUniqueEntityId());
    	EntityRegistry.registerGlobalEntityID(EntityManEatingTiger.class, "maneatingtiger", EntityRegistry.findGlobalUniqueEntityId());
    	EntityRegistry.registerGlobalEntityID(EntityLion.class, "lion", EntityRegistry.findGlobalUniqueEntityId());
    	EntityRegistry.registerGlobalEntityID(EntityLynx.class, "lynx", EntityRegistry.findGlobalUniqueEntityId());
    	EntityRegistry.registerGlobalEntityID(EntityJaguar.class, "jaguar", EntityRegistry.findGlobalUniqueEntityId());

// Herd animals
    	EntityRegistry.registerGlobalEntityID(EntityElephant.class, "elephant", EntityRegistry.findGlobalUniqueEntityId());

}

public void registerEntitySpawns()
    {
    // register natural spawns for entities
    // EntityRegistry.addSpawn(MyEntity.class, spawnProbability, minSpawn, maxSpawn, enumCreatureType, [spawnBiome]);
    // See the constructor in BiomeGenBase.java to see the rarity of vanilla mobs; Sheep are probability 10 while Endermen are probability 1
    // minSpawn and maxSpawn are about how groups of the entity spawn
    // enumCreatureType represents the "rules" Minecraft uses to determine spawning, based on creature type. By default, you have three choices:
    //	EnumCreatureType.creature uses rules for animals: spawn everywhere it is light out.
    //	EnumCreatureType.monster uses rules for monsters: spawn everywhere it is dark out.
    //	EnumCreatureType.waterCreature uses rules for water creatures: spawn only in water.
    // [spawnBiome] is an optional parameter of type BiomeGenBase that limits the creature spawn to a single biome type. Without this parameter, it will spawn everywhere. 

// Big cats
    	// savanna cats
    EntityRegistry.addSpawn(EntityLion.class, 6, 0, 5, EnumCreatureType.creature, BiomeGenBase.savanna); //change the values to vary the spawn rarity, biome, etc.              
    EntityRegistry.addSpawn(EntityLion.class, 6, 0, 5, EnumCreatureType.creature, BiomeGenBase.savannaPlateau); //change the values to vary the spawn rarity, biome, etc.              
    	// hill cats
    EntityRegistry.addSpawn(EntityLynx.class, 5, 0, 1, EnumCreatureType.creature, BiomeGenBase.birchForestHills); //change the values to vary the spawn rarity, biome, etc.              
    EntityRegistry.addSpawn(EntityLynx.class, 5, 0, 1, EnumCreatureType.creature, BiomeGenBase.coldTaigaHills); //change the values to vary the spawn rarity, biome, etc.              
    EntityRegistry.addSpawn(EntityLynx.class, 5, 0, 1, EnumCreatureType.creature, BiomeGenBase.desertHills); //change the values to vary the spawn rarity, biome, etc.              
    EntityRegistry.addSpawn(EntityLynx.class, 5, 0, 1, EnumCreatureType.creature, BiomeGenBase.extremeHills); //change the values to vary the spawn rarity, biome, etc.              
    EntityRegistry.addSpawn(EntityLynx.class, 5, 0, 1, EnumCreatureType.creature, BiomeGenBase.extremeHillsEdge); //change the values to vary the spawn rarity, biome, etc.              
    EntityRegistry.addSpawn(EntityLynx.class, 5, 0, 1, EnumCreatureType.creature, BiomeGenBase.extremeHillsPlus); //change the values to vary the spawn rarity, biome, etc.              
    EntityRegistry.addSpawn(EntityLynx.class, 5, 0, 1, EnumCreatureType.creature, BiomeGenBase.forestHills); //change the values to vary the spawn rarity, biome, etc.              
    EntityRegistry.addSpawn(EntityLynx.class, 5, 0, 1, EnumCreatureType.creature, BiomeGenBase.iceMountains); //change the values to vary the spawn rarity, biome, etc.              
    EntityRegistry.addSpawn(EntityLynx.class, 5, 0, 1, EnumCreatureType.creature, BiomeGenBase.megaTaigaHills); //change the values to vary the spawn rarity, biome, etc.              
    EntityRegistry.addSpawn(EntityLynx.class, 5, 0, 1, EnumCreatureType.creature, BiomeGenBase.mesaPlateau); //change the values to vary the spawn rarity, biome, etc.              
    EntityRegistry.addSpawn(EntityLynx.class, 5, 0, 1, EnumCreatureType.creature, BiomeGenBase.mesaPlateau_F); //change the values to vary the spawn rarity, biome, etc.              
    	// swamp cats
    EntityRegistry.addSpawn(EntityLynx.class, 5, 0, 1, EnumCreatureType.creature, BiomeGenBase.swampland); //change the values to vary the spawn rarity, biome, etc.                  
    // jungle cats
    	EntityRegistry.addSpawn(EntityJaguar.class, 6, 0, 1, EnumCreatureType.creature, BiomeGenBase.jungle); //change the values to vary the spawn rarity, biome, etc.              
    	EntityRegistry.addSpawn(EntityJaguar.class, 3, 0, 1, EnumCreatureType.creature, BiomeGenBase.jungleHills); //change the values to vary the spawn rarity, biome, etc.              
    	EntityRegistry.addSpawn(EntityJaguar.class, 1, 0, 1, EnumCreatureType.creature, BiomeGenBase.jungleEdge); //change the values to vary the spawn rarity, biome, etc.              
    	// Jaden didn't want tigers! EntityRegistry.addSpawn(EntityTiger.class, 1, 0, 1, EnumCreatureType.creature, BiomeGenBase.jungle); //change the values to vary the spawn rarity, biome, etc.              
    EntityRegistry.addSpawn(EntityManEatingTiger.class, 1, 0, 1, EnumCreatureType.creature, BiomeGenBase.jungle); //change the values to vary the spawn rarity, biome, etc.

// Herd animals
    // savanna herds
    	EntityRegistry.addSpawn(EntityElephant.class, 10, 0, 1, EnumCreatureType.creature, BiomeGenBase.savanna); //change the values to vary the spawn rarity, biome, etc.              
    	EntityRegistry.addSpawn(EntityElephant.class, 10, 0, 1, EnumCreatureType.creature, BiomeGenBase.savannaPlateau); //change the values to vary the spawn rarity, biome, etc.              
    }

public void registerFuelHandlers()
    {
    	// example: GameRegistry.registerFuelHandler(handler);
    }

public void registerEventListeners() 
    {
    	MinecraftForge.EVENT_BUS.register(new WildAnimalsEventHandler());
    	MinecraftForge.TERRAIN_GEN_BUS.register(new WildAnimalsTerrainGenEventHandler());; 
    	MinecraftForge.ORE_GEN_BUS.register(new WildAnimalsOreGenEventHandler());    	
    	// some events, especially tick, is handled on FML bus
    	FMLCommonHandler.instance().bus().register(new WildAnimalsFMLEventHandler());
}

}

So I really don't see the modEntityID registration adding my entities to the EntityList.  Or does it do it at some other range beyond id = 255?

registerModEntity doesn't add entities to the ID mapping in EntityList, but it does add them by name and class. The following is a snippet of the registration code:

String entityModName = String.format("%s.%s", mc.getModId(), entityName);
EntityList.classToStringMapping.put(entityClass, entityModName);
EntityList.stringToClassMapping.put(entityModName, entityClass);

If you print out the entity list using the string to class map, with "modid.entityName", you will surely see your entities. The ID to class mapping is only used by spawn eggs (which is why the mod entity index and global ID can be different).

My question is why haven't either Mojang or Forge team altered the vanilla ID to class map to allow everyone to use the ItemMonsterPlacer? Sure, it may be lazy to not make our own, but it's also good coding practice to not reinvent the wheel. Why copy/paste when you should be able to use something directly, or even through inheritance? It just seems bizarre to be moving toward a modding API but leave something as widely used as this in such a state.