Creating an ItemStack for armor texturing

satyreyes

I'm trying to get my armor to render correctly, and I'm running into what's probably a basic problem.  The method I'm using to get the texture, which I think is all right, is:

public String getArmorTexture(ItemStack stack, Entity entity, int slot, String type){
	if(stack.getItem() == Heart.heartstoneChestplate) {
				return "tutorial:textures/models/armor/heartstone_1.png";
	}
	  else
		return null;
	}

The problem comes when I actually try to call this method, from my main mod file:

heartstoneChestplate = new ItemArmor(HEARTSTONE, proxy.addArmor("heartstone"), 1)
		.getArmorTexture(new ItemStack(this.heartstoneChestplate), null, 1, "heartstone");

...Which underlines the whole definition in red and invites me to change heartstoneChestplate to a string rather than an item.  The problem seems to be tied to the "new ItemStack" part.  Am I calling ItemStack incorrectly?  Is new the wrong keyword to use here?

Thanks for your help!  :D

I hang my head in shame; in hindsight, yeah, trying to create an ItemStack of the object before the object was initialized was probably not the best idea.  But I have no idea what to do instead.  :(

Create a new class which extends ItemArmor, override the method and put your code in there. Example:

https://github.com/SanAndreasP/EnderStuffPlus/blob/master/java/sanandreasp/mods/EnderStuffPlus/item/ItemNiobArmor.java#L26-L36

Don't ask for support per PM! They'll get ignored! | If a post helped you, click the "Thank You" button at the top right corner of said post! |

mah twitter

This thread makes me sad because people just post copy-paste-ready code when it's obvious that the OP has little to no programming experience. This is not how learning works.

Thank you very much.  There is nothing like seeing a working example!  I have it working, and I understand Java better now to boot.

(Anyone who stumbles on this thread later: stack.itemID, which is used in the linked example to identify the armor we're looking at, no longer works.  We now test this with stack.getItem() == Yourmod.exampleItem.)

Thank you very much.  There is nothing like seeing a working example!  I have it working, and I understand Java better now to boot.

(Anyone who stumbles on this thread later: stack.itemID, which is used in the linked example to identify the armor we're looking at, no longer works.  We now test this with stack.getItem() == Yourmod.exampleItem.)

Glad I could help.

By the way, I'm currently refractoring the mod, so there's a cleaned up version here:

https://github.com/SanAndreasP/EnderStuffPlus/blob/code-cleanup/java/sanandreasp/mods/EnderStuffPlus/item/ItemNiobArmor.java#L29-L39

Don't ask for support per PM! They'll get ignored! | If a post helped you, click the "Thank You" button at the top right corner of said post! |

mah twitter

This thread makes me sad because people just post copy-paste-ready code when it's obvious that the OP has little to no programming experience. This is not how learning works.