[1.7] Encrypted Vanilla Code

chrissiOnAir

Help, please.

This one has to be in the Forge Forums, and this is the best place to be, i hope.

I'm an old school php-programmerer for years and the last months i learned more OOP (yes, indeed ;)) and Java.

I play Minecraft since 1.0 and with mods from 1.3. Last week i wanted to start modding and i'm thru some Tut-scripts.

I now installed the last version of forge.

But there is one thing i don't get:

Is this deobfuscated vanilla code?! (got it from a world.gen.feature)

void func_150529_a(int p_150529_1_, int p_150529_2_, int p_150529_3_, float p_150529_4_, byte p_150529_5_, Block p_150529_6_)

{

int l = (int)((double)p_150529_4_ + 0.618D);

byte b1 = otherCoordPairs[p_150529_5_];

byte b2 = otherCoordPairs[p_150529_5_ + 3];

int[] aint = new int[] {p_150529_1_, p_150529_2_, p_150529_3_};

Well, if it is, i think there is something wrong with Minecraft modding.

Please, don't get me wrong, but i refuse to work with these called Searge-names (func_1234_f). I don't want to get insane.

Even if there are completed lists and tools to translate every single parameter or function. Ok, if it's only one click to translate it all, then it's ok. But there isn't, is it?

As every programmer knows, method names, for example, should have proper names to understand.

As every modder knows, you need to understand vanilla-code to start and see what is there. Again, i'm not talking of editing, only understanding.

And doesn't Mojang support all modders? Of course they do! They are so big, and one reason is its modding community! And also Mojang works for the modding API.

So why can't we have an understandable vanilla-code?! This is against the community philosophy seriously.

I will now start with 1.6.2.

If vanilla stays "encrypted" in future, then there is no future for me as a modder. I'm too old to start as an encrypter.

Please be patient with me. I'm a new modder. I highly assume that i got something wrong.

But i couldn't find more information about it in the last 2 days. One of the last is from Searge at MCP. (and even he is talking from 'things getting easier for modders')

I think all new modders need a clear official statement about it.

.. well at least i'm happy with short answers, too :P

Thank you so much!

Unfortunately, yes, that's what quite a lot of the code still looks like in 1.7.2, and even some in 1.6.4, but for the most part, even in 1.7.2 the most commonly used bits of code are entirely deobfuscated with human readable names; looks like you just found one of the more obscure ones :P

Don't give up, it's not so bad!

There is a bot named "MCPBot" in the forge IRC channel, where you can contribute.

i think i will 8)

Make sure that if you give a obfuscated function a better name include good Javadoc.  Once you've renamed a function it's almost impossible for someone else to come along later and make the Javadoc better because in order to do so we have to rename the function.

And MCBot will not let you rename a function that's already been renamed.  Doesn't even matter that it's being renamed to the same thing.

Apparently I'm a complete and utter jerk and come to this forum just like to make fun of people, be confrontational, and make your personal life miserable.  If you think this is the case, JUST REPORT ME.  Otherwise you're just going to get reported when you reply to my posts and point it out, because odds are, I was trying to be nice.

Exception: If you do not understand Java, I WILL NOT HELP YOU and your thread will get locked.

DO NOT PM ME WITH PROBLEMS. No help will be given.

Hi

PHP huh?

You might be just the person to write the web-based interface that replaces MCPbot... seriously...

http://www.minecraftforge.net/forum/index.php/topic,15823.0.html

http://www.minecraftforge.net/forum/index.php/topic,13353.msg81827.html#msg81827

http://www.minecraftforge.net/forum/index.php/topic,13353.msg81663.html#msg81663

If you could figure out a way to let modders do the deobfuscation / renaming using their IDE and just upload to the server instead of relying on chatbot, with some sort of quality control / voting / reputation etc to prevent sabotage, it would take a huge load off the MCP guys and probably speed things up enormously.  MCPbot is better than nothing but it's pretty cumbersome.

-TGG

If you could figure out a way to let modders do the deobfuscation / renaming using their IDE and just upload to the server instead of relying on chatbot, with some sort of quality control / voting / reputation etc to prevent sabotage, it would take a huge load off the MCP guys and probably speed things up enormously.  MCPbot is better than nothing but it's pretty cumbersome.

-TGG

This part I so agree with. While the names in large part have made sense, there are a few cases of method names that have me pulling out my hair - because the don't really represent the purpose of the method (or field in some cases.) But, overall, I'd like to see peer-reviewed changes to the srg names automatically used.

PHP huh?

You might be just the person to write the web-based interface that replaces MCPbot... seriously...

First let me say that i thank you for your wonderful online Forge Concept Tutorial! :) Actually this was my first tut i went through ..

And the other forum-links you sent me, i read them before i posted here :)

Meanwhile i understand the whole story a lot better, and i just tried the MCP Mapping Viewer from bspkrs, which seems to be great! You all surely know that tool, do you? There is a button to communicate with the MCPBot, but it seems that it does it without warning, if you did some mess in the fields. So this is to hand carefully.

http://www.minecraftforum.net/topic/2115030-mcp-mapping-viewer/

A webtool with a kind of validation would really be great and i totally understand what you are thinking of.

Well, but i think i'm not the right person for coding it right now. It's not that i think i'm not a smart ass :) .. haha .. but i did not code php for a longer time now and i started with Java only some weeks ago. So i have to get into it again, to be more prof ..

yeah, sorry, but for now i can't do it, but i will think about it, because i like the idea.

wow, these days ..

I know it is already explained above, but just to really emphasize to those (like me) who are fairly new to Minecraft modding: it can be extremely frustrating working with the early versions of Forge after a major upgrade of Minecraft because so many functions are still obfuscated.  I know just enough programming to sometimes figure out a few pieces of the obfuscated code, but generally once you hit the obfuscated functions you may get stuck going much further. For example, in 1.6.4 I was quite capable to make custom furnaces and stuff fairly handily, but now I keep getting stuck on 1.7.2 after getting to a certain point where the obfuscation gets in the way.  Basically, be prepared to hit limits depending on what you delve into.

Thanks to all those at MCP who are working to break through this for us lesser programmers!

I do like the idea of a crowd-sourced de-obfuscation.  I have certainly been able to figure out a few functions that would probably be useful to others.

Check out my tutorials here: http://jabelarminecraft.blogspot.com/

I do like the idea of a crowd-sourced de-obfuscation.  I have certainly been able to figure out a few functions that would probably be useful to others.

I also agree. I wonder if there's something out there that already exists? It would be awesome if writing mods was easy as writing a bukkit plugin: a centeralized(ish) API, no obfuscated code, and readable error messages!

I hope that Mojang fixes it with their modder api.