weird reflection issue

killjoy1221

I'm currently working on a chat mod and am experiencing a weird issue with my code.  It works perfectly in the dev environment, but as soon as I put it in an obfuscated environment, it refuses to work.

I'm using reflection on ClientCommandHandler.executeCommand in order to keep compatibility in case Forge isn't installed.  Here is my code.  Yes, it is inside a try/catch.

Class clntCmdHndlr = Class.forName("net.minecraftforge.client.ClientCommandHandler");
Method exeCmd = clntCmdHndlr.getMethod("executeCommand", ICommandSender.class, String.class);
Object instance = clntCmdHndlr.getField("instance").get(null);
int value = (Integer) exeCmd.invoke(instance, mc.thePlayer,message);

Unfortunately, it throws a MethodNotFoundException when obfuscated.

java.lang.NoSuchMethodException: net.minecraftforge.client.ClientCommandHandler.executeCommand(net.minecraft.command.ICommandSender, java.lang.String)

I checked to make sure it was fully obfuscated, and it is.  Could someone help me out with this?  Here's the full code for reference.  I'm using Forge 1024.

Yes, but you said this.

I'm using reflection on ClientCommandHandler.executeCommand in order to keep compatibility in case Forge isn't installed.

That will not work in any environment, obfuscated or not, should Forge not be installed. Hence, the try catch. :)

If you want to work within the environment as provided, use the provided API for command handlers.

It doesn't work in an obfuscated environment because it's an obfuscated environment. This means class names, fields and methods are an alphabet soup.

ClientCommandHandler is a forge class, which means that its name is not obfuscated. This is why you are able to fetch the class. The reason why you are unable to fetch the method is because ClientCommandHandler extends CommandHandler, which is a vanilla class. Any overrided methods in ClientCommandHandler will therefore have a reobfuscated name in an obfuscated environment.

In an obfuscated environment, the "executeCommand" method is called "a". You'll have to account for that.

Thanks, @Glenn.  I didn't realize that ClientCommandHandler was extending CommandHandler.  @sequituri would've been more helpful if he told me why exactly I needed another try/catch block.  I've changed my code to this.

Class clntCmdHndlr = Class.forName("net.minecraftforge.client.ClientCommandHandler");
Method exeCmd;
try {
exeCmd = clntCmdHndlr.getMethod("func_71556_a",ICommandSender.class, String.class);
} catch (NoSuchMethodException e) {
exeCmd = clntCmdHndlr.getMethod("executeCommand",ICommandSender.class, String.class);
}
Object instance = clntCmdHndlr.getField("instance").get(null);
int value = (Integer) exeCmd.invoke(instance, mc.thePlayer,message);

Edit: If Forge is installed, we're not going to be using notch names.  It's func_71556_a, not a.

Seems like not many people know about this, so I'll drop this here: You can also use the ObfuscationReflectionHelper class instead of this try-catch block ;)

Don't ask for support per PM! They'll get ignored! | If a post helped you, click the "Thank You" button at the top right corner of said post! |

mah twitter

This thread makes me sad because people just post copy-paste-ready code when it's obvious that the OP has little to no programming experience. This is not how learning works.

True that.

But, my understanding was that the OP was talking about making a mod that didn't necessarily depend on Forge. I guess that was a misunderstanding. Yes, I would have suggested the helper if I had understood correctly. Sorry for piping in.