[1.7.2] Buckets yo!... and now an Init discussion.

Pandassaurus

Hi,

So,  i was creating a bucket for my fluid, and it went great. There was only one problem: to pick up the liquid, you could only use a normal bucket. I messed around with it a lot, but couldn't get it. I copied the class from the ItemBucket, but couldn't get it to do what i wanted.

So, what i'm asking is how to make an personal (item or ItemBucket?) to when right clicked on a liquid, turn into another item(executing the event i have) and getting rid of the liquid block?

this is what i have so far:

main class:

package com.pandassaurus.breakingbad;

/*imports*/
public class BreakingBad {
/*blahblah*/

//preInit <<==============================================================================

@Mod.EventHandler
    public void preInit(FMLPreInitializationEvent event) {
       /*blahblah*/
        MinecraftForge.EVENT_BUS.register(new BreakingBadFillBucketEvent());
    }

//postInit <<==============================================================================

@Mod.EventHandler
    public void postInit(FMLPostInitializationEvent event) { FluidContainerRegistry.registerFluidContainer(new FluidContainerRegistry.FluidContainerData(FluidRegistry.getFluidStack(FluidHydrofluoricAcid_.getName(), FluidContainerRegistry.BUCKET_VOLUME), new ItemStack(FullPolyethylenePlasticContainer_), new ItemStack(PolyethylenePlasticContainer_)));
    }

/*blahblah*/

public static Item FullPolyethylenePlasticContainer_ = new FullPolyethylenePlasticContainer(HydrofluoricAcid_, 250);
    public static Item PolyethylenePlasticContainer_ = new PolyethylenePlasticContainer(HydrofluoricAcid_);

/*blahblah*/

public BreakingBad() {

/*blahblah*/

GameRegistry.registerItem(FullPolyethylenePlasticContainer_, FullPolyethylenePlasticContainer_.getUnlocalizedName());
        GameRegistry.registerItem(PolyethylenePlasticContainer_, PolyethylenePlasticContainer_.getUnlocalizedName());

/*blahblah*/
    }
}

full container class:

package com.pandassaurus.breakingbad.item.buckets;

/*blahblah*/

/**
* User: Pandassaurus
* Date: 3/9/14
*/

public class FullPolyethylenePlasticContainer extends ItemBucket {
    private int liquidID;

public FullPolyethylenePlasticContainer(Block p_i45331_1_, int liquidID) {
        super(p_i45331_1_);
        this.setCreativeTab(BreakingBad.BreakingBadTab_);
        this.setUnlocalizedName("Hydrofluoric Acid");
        this.setTextureName("breakingbad:FullPlasticContainer");
        this.setMaxStackSize(1);
        this.setContainerItem(BreakingBad.PolyethylenePlasticContainer_);
        this.liquidID = liquidID;
    }

@Override
    public boolean tryPlaceContainedLiquid(World par1World, int par2, int par3, int par4) {
        if (liquidID <= 0) {
            return false;
        }
        else if (!par1World.isAirBlock(par2, par3, par4) && par1World.getBlock(par2, par3, par4).getMaterial().isSolid()) {
            return false;
        }
        else {
            par1World.setBlock(par2, par3, par4, BreakingBad.HydrofluoricAcid_, 0, 3);
            return true;
        }
    }
}

(my to be empty container class has nothing)

Event class:

package com.pandassaurus.breakingbad.event;

/*blahblah*/

/**
* User: Pandassaurus
* Date: 3/11/14
*/
public class BreakingBadFillBucketEvent {
    public ItemStack fullBucket;

@SubscribeEvent
    public void whenITryToFillMyBucket(FillBucketEvent event) {
        if (event.current.getItem() != BreakingBad.PolyethylenePlasticContainer_) return;

fullBucket = getLiquid(event.world, event.target);

if (fullBucket == null) return;

event.world.setBlockToAir(event.target.blockX, event.target.blockY, event.target.blockZ);
        event.result = fullBucket;
        event.setResult(Event.Result.ALLOW);
    }

public ItemStack getLiquid(World world, MovingObjectPosition pos) {
        Block block = world.getBlock(pos.blockX, pos.blockY, pos.blockZ);

if (BreakingBad.HydrofluoricAcid_ == block) {
            return new ItemStack(BreakingBad.FullPolyethylenePlasticContainer_);
        }

return null;
    }
}

Sorry for so many posts, but i am new at modding, so i do have a lot of questions.

thanks for helping me out everyone! :D

-Pandassaurus

Doesn't your empty bucket need an onitemuse method?

Yes, it does. That's what im asking: what to put in that onItemRightClick method. I tried copying what the normal bucket had, with no luck.

Items should be initialized and registered in FMLPreInit event.

Maybe they should, but so far i havent and it's been working, but that's not what im asking. Unless, does that affect the buckets? I don't think so.

thanks,

-Pandassaurus

preInit just executes the code before everything else , so if everything is being done in the preinit, then theres nothing for it to be done before. (this is what i know, i could be wrong)

anyway, creating simple items that have nothing to do with anything else doesn't matter where you put it. I dont think that in this case it does either.

Anyway, does anyone have an idea on how to make the bucket?

thanks,

-Pandassaurus

There is a reason for the sequence stated.

Mod, creation is to allow the mod to get it's internal data structures set up.

Then, when all mods are up to speed, each one goes through each sequence, in order to make their items play with others well. (That was one of the reasons for the OreDict.)

When Init happens, *all* mod's blocks and items are ready to use. (accessible to other mods).

When Post-init happens, al the recipes from all mods would be accessible and usable in other's recipes and can be modified.

When InterModComms happens mods will be able to share functionality and alter how they run.

Each has a unique purpose, don't pervert it.

Yes, it DOES fucking matter. Don't just tell people they are wrong when you have no clue yourself. Items must be created in preInit as of 1.7 and it has been recommended to do so in the Javadocs ever since.

I clearly stated that that was what i knew, and i was simply explaining the logic behind my actions. I never said he was wrong, and never said that i was right. If i knew the answer to the question, i wouldn't have continued the discussion.

Also, your full container has a reference to the empty container in its constructor. Which doesn't work because you make the empty container after the full one.

Well the game runs, so *i think* that if it were to be out of order, it would crash right away which it didn't (i fixed it, and it ran the same). Although, i added this code, which seems promising:

public ItemStack onItemRightClick(ItemStack par1ItemStack, World par2World, EntityPlayer par3EntityPlayer, MovingObjectPosition movingobjectposition) {

FillBucketEvent event = new FillBucketEvent(par3EntityPlayer, par1ItemStack, par2World, movingobjectposition);
        BreakingBadFillBucketEvent e = new BreakingBadFillBucketEvent();
        e.whenITryToFillMyBucket(event);
        e.getLiquid(par2World, movingobjectposition);
        return par1ItemStack;
    }

but it crashes when i right click, giving me this error:

java.lang.NullPointerException
at net.minecraft.world.chunk.storage.ExtendedBlockStorage.func_150818_a(ExtendedBlockStorage.java:100) ~[ExtendedBlockStorage.class:?]
at net.minecraft.world.chunk.Chunk.func_150807_a(Chunk.java:685) ~[Chunk.class:?]
at net.minecraft.world.World.setBlock(World.java:549) ~[World.class:?]
at net.minecraft.item.ItemBucket.tryPlaceContainedLiquid(ItemBucket.java:212) ~[itemBucket.class:?]
at net.minecraft.item.ItemBucket.onItemRightClick(ItemBucket.java:144) ~[itemBucket.class:?]
at net.minecraft.item.ItemStack.useItemRightClick(ItemStack.java:171) ~[itemStack.class:?]
at net.minecraft.client.multiplayer.PlayerControllerMP.sendUseItem(PlayerControllerMP.java:452) ~[PlayerControllerMP.class:?]
at net.minecraft.client.Minecraft.func_147121_ag(Minecraft.java:1566) ~[Minecraft.class:?]
at net.minecraft.client.Minecraft.runTick(Minecraft.java:2051) ~[Minecraft.class:?]
at net.minecraft.client.Minecraft.runGameLoop(Minecraft.java:1036) ~[Minecraft.class:?]
at net.minecraft.client.Minecraft.run(Minecraft.java:951) [Minecraft.class:?]
at net.minecraft.client.main.Main.main(Main.java:112) [Main.class:?]
at sun.reflect.NativeMethodAccessorImpl.invoke0(Native Method) ~[?:1.6.0_65]
at sun.reflect.NativeMethodAccessorImpl.invoke(NativeMethodAccessorImpl.java:39) ~[?:1.6.0_65]
at sun.reflect.DelegatingMethodAccessorImpl.invoke(DelegatingMethodAccessorImpl.java:25) ~[?:1.6.0_65]
at java.lang.reflect.Method.invoke(Method.java:597) ~[?:1.6.0_65]
at net.minecraft.launchwrapper.Launch.launch(Launch.java:134) [launchwrapper-1.9.jar:?]
at net.minecraft.launchwrapper.Launch.main(Launch.java:28) [launchwrapper-1.9.jar:?]
[15:52:20] [server thread/INFO] [FML]: The state engine was in incorrect state SERVER_STOPPING and forced into state SERVER_STOPPED. Errors may have been discarded.
---- Minecraft Crash Report ----
// Sorry 

Time: 3/14/14 3:52 PM
Description: Unexpected error

java.lang.NullPointerException: Unexpected error
at net.minecraft.world.chunk.storage.ExtendedBlockStorage.func_150818_a(ExtendedBlockStorage.java:100)
at net.minecraft.world.chunk.Chunk.func_150807_a(Chunk.java:685)
at net.minecraft.world.World.setBlock(World.java:549)
at net.minecraft.item.ItemBucket.tryPlaceContainedLiquid(ItemBucket.java:212)
at net.minecraft.item.ItemBucket.onItemRightClick(ItemBucket.java:144)
at net.minecraft.item.ItemStack.useItemRightClick(ItemStack.java:171)
at net.minecraft.client.multiplayer.PlayerControllerMP.sendUseItem(PlayerControllerMP.java:452)
at net.minecraft.client.Minecraft.func_147121_ag(Minecraft.java:1566)
at net.minecraft.client.Minecraft.runTick(Minecraft.java:2051)
at net.minecraft.client.Minecraft.runGameLoop(Minecraft.java:1036)
at net.minecraft.client.Minecraft.run(Minecraft.java:951)
at net.minecraft.client.main.Main.main(Main.java:112)
at sun.reflect.NativeMethodAccessorImpl.invoke0(Native Method)
at sun.reflect.NativeMethodAccessorImpl.invoke(NativeMethodAccessorImpl.java:39)
at sun.reflect.DelegatingMethodAccessorImpl.invoke(DelegatingMethodAccessorImpl.java:25)
at java.lang.reflect.Method.invoke(Method.java:597)
at net.minecraft.launchwrapper.Launch.launch(Launch.java:134)
at net.minecraft.launchwrapper.Launch.main(Launch.java:28)

A detailed walkthrough of the error, its code path and all known details is as follows:
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

-- Head --
Stacktrace:
at net.minecraft.world.chunk.storage.ExtendedBlockStorage.func_150818_a(ExtendedBlockStorage.java:100)
at net.minecraft.world.chunk.Chunk.func_150807_a(Chunk.java:685)
at net.minecraft.world.World.setBlock(World.java:549)
at net.minecraft.item.ItemBucket.tryPlaceContainedLiquid(ItemBucket.java:212)
at net.minecraft.item.ItemBucket.onItemRightClick(ItemBucket.java:144)
at net.minecraft.item.ItemStack.useItemRightClick(ItemStack.java:171)
at net.minecraft.client.multiplayer.PlayerControllerMP.sendUseItem(PlayerControllerMP.java:452)
at net.minecraft.client.Minecraft.func_147121_ag(Minecraft.java:1566)

but i don't know...

There is a reason for the sequence stated.

Mod, creation is to allow the mod to get it's internal data structures set up.

Then, when all mods are up to speed, each one goes through each sequence, in order to make their items play with others well. (That was one of the reasons for the OreDict.)

When Init happens, *all* mod's blocks and items are ready to use. (accessible to other mods).

When Post-init happens, al the recipes from all mods would be accessible and usable in other's recipes and can be modified.

When InterModComms happens mods will be able to share functionality and alter how they run.

Each has a unique purpose, don't pervert it.

I'm sorry, i'm new to modding and don't completely understand how everything works. Thanks for clarifying.

Thanks again to those who helped me, and any more help on the bucket would be appreciated,

-Pandassaurus

Hi,

So i moved all the item and block initializations to the preInit method and the registrations and the recipes to the post-init method. Everything works fine, except for the textures aren't loading.

this is the code (and every class has a this.setTextureName that worked before):

public class BreakingBad {
    public static Item CrystalMeth_;
    public static Item GoodMeth_;
    public static Item BadMeth_;

@Mod.EventHandler
    public void preInit(FMLPreInitializationEvent event) {
        CrystalMeth_ = new CrystalMeth(0, 0, false);
        GoodMeth_ = new GoodMeth(0, 0, false);
        BadMeth_ = new BadMeth(0, 0, false);
}

@Mod.EventHandler
    public void postInit(FMLPostInitializationEvent event) {
        GameRegistry.registerItem(CrystalMeth_, CrystalMeth_.getUnlocalizedName());
        GameRegistry.registerItem(GoodMeth_, GoodMeth_.getUnlocalizedName());
        GameRegistry.registerItem(BadMeth_, BadMeth_.getUnlocalizedName());

GameRegistry.addRecipe(new ItemStack(CrystalMeth_, 16), "drd", "wrw", "sss", 'd', Items.diamond, 'r', Items.redstone, 'w', Items.water_bucket, 's', Sudo_);
        GameRegistry.addRecipe(new ItemStack(GoodMeth_, 16), "iri", "wrw", "sss", 'i', Items.iron_ingot, 'r', Items.redstone, 'w', Items.water_bucket, 's', Sudo_);
        GameRegistry.addRecipe(new ItemStack(BadMeth_, 16), "drd", "wrw", "sss", 'd', Blocks.dirt, 'r', Items.redstone, 'w', Items.water_bucket, 's', Sudo_);
   }
}

Also, any more ideas for the bucket situation would be greatly appreciated!

thanks everyone :D,

-Pandassaurus

Hey,

My specific liquid in breaking bad can only be contained by a polyethylene plastic container; it eats through most other materials. It would be lame to use a bucket to pick up the liquid then receive a plastic container with that liquid, only to place it back down and receive a bucket. I want to make this as close as i can to the show, so yeah.

I'm not sure if it's possible, but i think it is, and would really like it to be.

thanks,

-Pandassaurus

• 4 months later...

Yes, it DOES fucking matter. Don't just tell people they are wrong when you have no clue yourself.

Items must be created in preInit as of 1.7 and it has been recommended to do so in the Javadocs ever since.

I'm curious where in JavaDocs is this described, because my local Forge sources look like this (load event, #1060):

/*
* Forge Mod Loader
* Copyright (c) 2012-2013 cpw.
* All rights reserved. This program and the accompanying materials
* are made available under the terms of the GNU Lesser Public License v2.1
* which accompanies this distribution, and is available at
* http://www.gnu.org/licenses/old-licenses/gpl-2.0.html
* Contributors:
*     cpw - implementation
*/

package cpw.mods.fml.common.event;

import cpw.mods.fml.common.LoaderState.ModState;

public class FMLInitializationEvent extends FMLStateEvent
{

public FMLInitializationEvent(Object... data)
    {
        super(data);
    }

@Override
    public ModState getModState()
    {
        return ModState.INITIALIZED;
    }

}

No hint whatsoever what exactly should be going on there (nothing in LoaderState as well).

PS: PreInit is considerably longer, but there are no comments about this too.

mnn.getNativeLang() != English

If I helped you please click on the "thank you" button.