Install failed: character encoding issues

Combuster

Forge doesn't set up character encoding properly, which results in a broken run of install.sh.

The problem can be fixed by adding "-encoding UTF-8" to the compiler arguments in conf/mcp.conf (forge overwrites it during installation)

Please include the fix for the compiler arguments or make all sources use ASCII-7 encoding.

Relevant log output follows:

== MCP 7.2 (data: 7.2, client: 1.3.2, server: 1.3.2) ==
== Recompiling client ==
> Cleaning bin
> Recompiling
'"javac" -Xlint:-options -deprecation -g -source 1.6 -target 1.6 -classpath "lib:lib/*:jars/bin/minec...' failed : 1

== ERRORS FOUND ==

src/common/cpw/mods/fml/common/versioning/ComparableVersion.java:59: unmappable character for encoding ASCII
* @author <a href="mailto:[email protected]">Herv?? Boutemy</a>
                                                    ^

src/common/cpw/mods/fml/common/versioning/ComparableVersion.java:59: unmappable character for encoding ASCII
* @author <a href="mailto:[email protected]">Herv?? Boutemy</a>
                                                     ^

2 errors
==================

it is a java standard everywhere

I tried following up on that sentiment, and it appears your assumption is actually wrong:

The default character set of the JVM is that of the system it's running on. There's no specific value for this and you shouldn't generally depend on the default encoding being any particular value.

At any rate, I'm using an unmodified sun-jvm straight from my package manager on linux. Among the other top hits on google are mentions that even Mac OS defaults to non-UTF8 encoding, although MacRoman will probably act less violent about non-ASCII characters. Even a default install of a commercial grade tool like Maven will by default complain about character encoding, and I think we just figured out why.