Looking for tutorials.

Atom_Byte

Hi, i have managed to get forge into MPC, but can't seem to open the libraries when creating a new project. Maybe i am thinking how i managed to setup the previous install without forge, (modloader and eclipse etc for use with techne) but here for some reason i can't get eclipse to load anything concerning MC.

I have followed as many YT vids and other forums who have solutions but i just can't see which is the right way to do things.

One site said point to the forge folder (workspace) another said import the client and the server, another said point to the libraries.

To many old tutorials with unclear info, all just say setup mpc add bin, res and server jar add forge and run. I can't find anything else that says what to do to make eclipse run forge. Obviously if i can get this sorted then i am one step closer to starting to learn, but even then, i can't see a single tutorial be it here, at your wiki (old yes) or youtube and the net in general. It all seems very daunting and confusing (for me  ;)  ).

Does anyone know of a clear way of making sure i have done everything correctly. Or a tutorial with precise setup instructions and what to do when i open eclipse to relate forge to it.

From there a basic block creation tutorial would be handy to!?

LOL, maybe its me and this is just to complicated for a noob to java, the worst thing is that its so frustrating when you want to learn.

Have you any experience with java before Minecraft code? I'd not suggest attempting modding unless you have. Perhaps give the java tutorials over at TheNewBoston a watch. :)

Trust me. I've previously attempted to jump straight to modding. It'll be incredibly difficult to create much meaningful if you don't understand what you're doing. :P

Check out my

Texture Packs Thread here on the Forge Forum. :)

Currently in the process of adding some mod support for JohnSmith Texture Pack.

width=105 height=12https://www.sugarsync.com/piv/D8135159_67366891_21351[/img]

width=209 height=19https://www.sugarsync.com/piv/D8135159_67366891_772852[/img]

Oh well never mind, i'll uninstall everything and go back to the way it was before i decided to try forge. At least that way i can get hands on experience with something i have managed to install and get working, and has lots of tutorials. At my age its to late  :(  to learn another language, i will learn faster with existing examples and playing with them. And trying to fix what i break.

Thanks anyway and good luck to all the team with forge, i wish you all many happy mod making days.

I have resisted Forge for some time, Just making my Mods with modloader. But this leaves

me without the use of many mods that either use many sprites or are already forge based.

Now I have come over to forge only to find my suspicions to be true. It seems that

those "in the know" of FORGE's inner workings are not keen on sharing that knowledge.

I have basic Java knowledge, not advanced for sure.... I spend more time on Ruby script and

other languages that were required of me to be proficient in.

I program in not one, not two, but five other languages... with expert skill.

So I am not stupid.

Just ignorant of allot of java code.

FORGE is NOT java.... It has its own set of hooks and calls created WITH java, That are not

used in common java application.

FORGE is code for coding minecraft.

FORGE was created specifically to Modify, interact and expand on the minecraft code base.

It's not more java knowledge many of us need... its more FORGE knowledge.

I'm 35 years old and worked as a programer in NYC for over 8 years. Yet I'm considered stupid

because i don't know things that no one is willing to teach.

Come on.... I only have so much time to search though the now even more complex code to

understand where the most simple parts are hidden away. I have a family and a job and obligations

beyond my love of minecraft, and desire to create mods for it.

Some basic tutorials are what is most needed. And i plea with those of you here that have this vast

knowledge of FORGE, FORGE code and minecraft, to take the time to put some tutorials here in the

forge wiki....

for now Atom_Byte start here

----> http://wuppy29.blogspot.nl/2012/08/forge-modding-132.html

This guy is GREAT! he has some of the basic tutorials and he explains each part some so you can begin

to make the transfer into coding with FORGE. He also seems to be using the FORGE code to its fullest.

I have decompiled allot of code around to try and learn that way, but it seems allot of it is sloppy, and

tons of the "FORGE" code out there in mods is really still using modloader based calls.

These tutorials are FORGE all the way.

I must say as well DON'T GIVE UP!!! FORGE is elegant, clean, and as you begin to understand the basics

it it gets easier...

Wait, you just haven't asked the right people.

Lex hates everybody that doesn't do their research, even if the question is obscure.

On the other hand, the modder support section generally has nice people, and the universal electricity board definitely does.

Or pop on an IRC.

So, what would happen if I did push that shiny red button over there? ... Really? ... Can I try it? ... Damn.

Lex hates everybody that doesn't do their research, even if the question is obscure.

On the other hand, the modder support section generally has nice people, and the universal electricity board definitely does.

Or pop on an IRC.

The risucraft people are generally arrogant and doesnt tolerate anyone that isnt pro at java.

There are a few tutorial series knocking around in the MC Forums at the Tutorials section. Here are a few links:

MC Forums Tutorials Section

deverions forge modding tutorials (MC forum topic)

freezzerrr's Video tutorials (MC forum topic)

In my view, modding MC isn't like modding some other games out there which have their own 'construction kits' or some sort of third party program to just add things here and there. To mod MC you need to know the basics in programming in order to mod MC, especially Object Oriented Programming, as Java is a OO-Programming language. Programming can be a difficult subject for some/most people and some may get the grasps of it quicker than others. But knowing even the basics will go a long way. Just remember it takes practice, experimenting and a regular supply of a cup of tea.

I'd love to start my own Tutorial series, as I'd like to chip in to the community with a few things that I know. Perhaps I could help to beef up the wiki a bit, but before I do that I'd like to get at least 1 or 2 mods out.

Anyway, I hope those links help. :)

Or pop on an IRC.

The risucraft people are generally arrogant and doesnt tolerate anyone that isnt pro at java.

Well, I was thinking a less popular IRC channel, like Universal Electricity's or a few others.

But yeah, I've met that kind of people.

So, what would happen if I did push that shiny red button over there? ... Really? ... Can I try it? ... Damn.