Getting started for modding, 965/164

keybounce

I would like help/a tutorial on getting started with modding in 164, for forge 965.

The tutorial on using forge gradle starts with this:

This tutorial assumes you have some previous knowledge of Minecraft modding and have gotten all the initial stuff done (PATH variables whatnot).

I have done nothing with modding before.

The last time I tried using Eclipse it was difficult (one giant window, with 6 sub windows, all displaying tiny text), and I couldn't even find a tutorial on "how to use Eclipse" -- and I've had people tell me that IntelliJ is better, and I've seen people with much more sensible window/subwindow setups in Eclipse. So I know that E can be made better than 6 tiny subwindows (but I don't know how, or what's a good choice), and I know that there's an alternative.

But that's the entire state of my minecraft modding exposure.

I've got a few decades of programming experience; I know java. I don't know forge / fml / gradle. I want to learn how to get started, and what will continue to be good practices into the future (assuming my next target will be 1.8 and skipping 1.7.)

Where do I start? How do I learn gradle if I've never done anything? Do I need to hunt down a 953 tutorial and start there, and then unlearn what I have learned?

Jeb! The sheep! The fence pens, they do nothing still leak!

Modding for 1.6.4 doesn't use the ForgeGradle system. Anyways, for good tutorials, check out Vswe's series.

if (user.hasKnowledgeOfJava) {

if (user.question.hasCode) {

return interpetHelpfulResponse(user.getQuestion());

} else {

return "Could you post your code please?";

}

} else {

return "Learn some freaking Java!";

}