[1.7.2] Replacing Vanilla Block Textures

Conraad

Just started on replacing a couple vanilla texture in 1.6.4, and now again in 1.7.2, got the method for changing Item textures on the forum and applied it to blocks, only 2 problems that I really don't know why it happens.

The method works and replaces mc texture with texture you specify, but when replacing dirt, the color of teh Dirt/Grass block becomes Biome dependant meaning the color of the dirt below the grass on the same block is completely a different color in each Biome.

Then secondly some texture just simply don't overwrite one of which are the following

((Block) Block.blockRegistry.getObject("sand")).setBlockTextureName("SimCraft:vanilla/sand")

Sand I can add .setBlockName("dump") behind that method and it will change the block name, but the sand png simply won't load even tried renaming sand.png to something else thinking it clashes with sanstone.

Does anyone have any clarification as to why or perhaps how to fix this

I already have a resource pack, using the replace textures for a different reason, the mods developed with 64bit graphics and it would simply be nice to have some of the world blocks to also or already be on 65bit when you load it up, without the use of a texturepack. Also keeping a resourcepack updated and the mod is a lot of time spend and wasted when MC updates and we most likely to get loads more updates and probably loads more game breaking updates, so this simply method that actually works is perfect. If it work for everything.

I already have a resource pack, using the replace textures for a different reason, the mods developed with 64bit graphics and it would simply be nice to have some of the world blocks to also or already be on 65bit when you load it up, without the use of a texturepack. Also keeping a resourcepack updated and the mod is a lot of time spend and wasted when MC updates and we most likely to get loads more updates and probably loads more game breaking updates, so this simply method that actually works is perfect. If it work for everything.

64bit? 65bit?

Most textures in any game Ive come across recently are 24bit RGB or 32bit RGBA, so really not sure what you mean there.

Also if you use a resource pack or put the textures in the jar, you still have to update them if MC changes something relevant (e.g. new blocks or reworks the texture system again). The only potential advantage I see of putting a texture pack in a mods jar would be to make it enabled by default, but there is possibly other ways to do that as well.

Also using a different base graphics set creates a compatibility issue with basically every other mod.

64bit as in your .png will be 64x64 large instead of the default 16x16 minecraft uses.

Now I reckon people can give me 1mil reason why not to use it, all valid reasons, but I'm doing something completely different with SImCRaft and this would just be a neat option. As soon as people use resource packs it would basically overwrite the texture i set.

Also remember SimCarft sets a theme completely different from what ppl are use to.

The question however remains why doesn't a couple of the texture not overwrite when I use that method while the others does not to mention the fact about the Biome colors affecting the .png after it's been changed, that's basically all I need to know if someone actually knows why that happens. Apart from that providing reasons as in why not to do it doesn't really answer the question or cry for help or advice.

Can you go lookup what 64bit means then? It has zero todo with dimensions like that...

As for the sand problem. Why don't you try looking at the code for things like that? In short for certain blocks the texture name is ignored for whatever reason, so you would need a core mod for all those cases to load something differently immediately, or at least reflection to overwrite some private fields later.

Not sure what you mean by biome colours. If you mean like grass and leaves being recoloured based on biome, again look through the code. Its either a method on the block or part of the renderer if they have a different render type to normal blocks that provides a multiplier. If you want to change that you might be able to set something in the biomes to get the colour you want, otherwise again you need to modify how that code path works.