[SOLVED] Adding VOIP to minecraft, is SIP needed?

Gnomorian

hi, i saw someone a while ago had added voip to minecraft, but i throught it would never realy be used because you also had to install mumble and have it running in the backgrouund, so seems rather pointless, might as well just join mumble/teamspeak server without the extra step of adding a bridge between it and Minecraft.

so a better way would be a standalone mod that you just drop in /mods and it just works like every forge mod.

i had a look at voip with java and SIP keeps popping up, from what i read about it, it seems what it actually does is not the voip itself but allows client1-server-clinet2 interaction for VoIP and instant messaging. Minecraft already has this, you can already instant message so going through a big tutorial on how to build a full sip based voip server/client seems a little pointless.

ied like to know if anyone knows how i would do this, do i still need to use sip, tell it to get client ids from mc.player or mc.MP.player and have it running in another thread for performance? or just download a codec and tell the client to use a custom packet and tell it to send what the codec compresses 8000 times a second?

also, just so you know. the idea is to make it so VOIP only works when you are within a certain range of the other player to hear them, like open world games including rust, dayz for example. obviously there will be a config option server side so everyone can hear everyone if so desired, say its a small server and everyone is working on the same thing or are good friends.

thanks for the help.

<iframe src="http://widget.mcf.li/mc-mods/minecraft/225523-gnomgnoms-utils" width="100%" style="border: none;"></iframe>

hiya, have i broken some rule that makes it so i get ignored, or is it just this is out of the league of everyone here?

The latter, probably.

Apparently I'm a complete and utter jerk and come to this forum just like to make fun of people, be confrontational, and make your personal life miserable.  If you think this is the case, JUST REPORT ME.  Otherwise you're just going to get reported when you reply to my posts and point it out, because odds are, I was trying to be nice.

Exception: If you do not understand Java, I WILL NOT HELP YOU and your thread will get locked.

DO NOT PM ME WITH PROBLEMS. No help will be given.

hiya, have i broken some rule that makes it so i get ignored, or is it just this is out of the league of everyone here?

1. No.

2. Probably Not.

3. You have a nerve being this rude. It takes TIME for people to reply, you cannot expect a reply within a certain amount of time...

You are simply in an area out of Minecraft. It is up to you to find what feels best working with.

When I think of voices in Minecraft, i imagine generating on the fly player sounds as resources so that they are loaded into Minecraft sound system like sound effects. But i may be a bit optimistic.

You are simply in an area out of Minecraft. It is up to you to find what feels best working with.

When I think of voices in Minecraft, i imagine generating on the fly player sounds as resources so that they are loaded into Minecraft sound system like sound effects. But i may be a bit optimistic.

interesting way of doing it, ill look into that.

<iframe src="http://widget.mcf.li/mc-mods/minecraft/225523-gnomgnoms-utils" width="100%" style="border: none;"></iframe>

ok, found the answer on an existing thread on javagaming.org

seems from what i read of it is all i need to do is use java.sound.sampled.input stream to get the mic capture.

save it to a bite variable, use the library speedex to encode the data then use a custom packet to send the encoded data to the server with i would think the PlayerEntity and a list of any other players near by or rendered players so the server can send it to them (or get the server to work that out)

the client will then decode using speedex and play as music.

link to the thread: http://www.java-gaming.org/index.php?topic=5227.0

thanks for the help

how do i set it as solved? :)